Axle replacement options

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Axle replacement options

My driver side axle snapped the other day after falling into a monster pothole . I have to get it replaced and I was wondering what is a preferred brand. I know OEM replacements are stupid expensive, so I wont be going that route.

I have a friend who works at advance auto and he can get me tough one axles for a bit under $70 an axle (i'll be replacing both). I also came across EMPI axles on rock auto for $50 an axle.

Is one better then the other? What would you guys go with?
Old 08-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
You should be fine with an OEM replacement. Two of the four brands on Rockauto offer a lifetime warranty and you may get the same from Advance with out the shipping. Either way you should be fine. I would take the old CV to the store and compare the to make sure there is no big difference in the two.
The following users liked this post:
the-G-ride (08-22-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Hey The-G-ride.....ya got an '03 with oem axles. While it's unfortunate that ya hit a pothole, ya really don't need to replace the other side's good axle just yet unless ya got over 200k on the car. Buy a better brand replacement axle with a warranty.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Get OEM. They have come down A TON in price and better than the replacements you get from the parts stores (which i snapped 1, and had a 2nd start causing a vibration needing replacement)
The following users liked this post:
the-G-ride (08-22-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 03 tls nc
You should be fine with an OEM replacement. Two of the four brands on Rockauto offer a lifetime warranty and you may get the same from Advance with out the shipping. Either way you should be fine. I would take the old CV to the store and compare the to make sure there is no big difference in the two.
Thanks, thats what I was worried about, if they'll be just as good as the OEM ones. I'll make sure I compare the two side by side.

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Hey The-G-ride.....ya got an '03 with oem axles. While it's unfortunate that ya hit a pothole, ya really don't need to replace the other side's good axle just yet unless ya got over 200k on the car. Buy a better brand replacement axle with a warranty.
Well the pothole is only part of the story. It was more of just a big ass hole in the damn road lol it was at night and on a highway on which I was doing about 60-70 mph. I ended up bending my driver side rim, bending my downpipe, bending the cusco lower tie bar and scraping the shit out of my oil pan. NJ roads I tell yuh

I did notice a slight vibration after the impact that wasnt there before, but I figured it was a suspension component, never crossed my mind to check the axles. Then a couple of days ago I was on a on-ramp for a highway and had to punch it hard to get on. I was doing about 40-50, when I stepped on it I felt the car downshift and then kaput, dead.

I doubt the axles could have snapped from a launch like that, so im guessing the impact had a part to play in that. Thats why I figure I should change the passenger side too, in the event that it too is damaged.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:47 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Get OEM. They have come down A TON in price and better than the replacements you get from the parts stores (which i snapped 1, and had a 2nd start causing a vibration needing replacement)
Wow, they have come down a lot in price, I swore those things were at least 600 a piece. I was really worried about the vibration issue because i've heard that tends to happen after replacing axles with ones from a parts store. That and just the overall reliability. I just needed some clarification.

side note- can you return used axles? I'll have to call and check but I can replace the driver side one with the advance auto axle and then return it after I get the OEM ones. My tl is my dd so trying to minimize down time. The OEM axles wont get here til the end of next week.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by the-G-ride
Wow, they have come down a lot in price, I swore those things were at least 600 a piece. I was really worried about the vibration issue because i've heard that tends to happen after replacing axles with ones from a parts store. That and just the overall reliability. I just needed some clarification.

side note- can you return used axles? I'll have to call and check but I can replace the driver side one with the advance auto axle and then return it after I get the OEM ones. My tl is my dd so trying to minimize down time. The OEM axles wont get here til the end of next week.
They used to be like 700.
id just return it and say you were experiencing a vibration and want your money back