any body familiar with alternator belt or timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 05:39 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation any body familiar with alternator belt or timing belt

second post today about this issue.

saturday morning my car was making a squeeky, sqweely sound. i didnt want to take it acura so i went to a local mechanic. he put some grease and it went away. my car only has 42,000 miles. is it normal for the belt to be making this noise at this time in miles. i dont think its the timing belt. its the exposed belt next to the engine, not sure what that one is called.

anybody got any idea, what belt and why its happening..
Old 04-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah thats the serpentine belt, not your timing belt (that's under the plastic cover to protect it).
Old 04-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Pro

is it expensive to replace that? can it be a diy
Old 04-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by el.profe
is it expensive to replace that? can it be a diy
Sometimes they make noise. You can apply a little belt dressing to see if it clears it up . The belt is like 20 bucks and can be changed in your driveway in 30 min or so.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Sometimes they make noise. You can apply a little belt dressing to see if it clears it up . The belt is like 20 bucks and can be changed in your driveway in 30 min or so.
So in other words I don't have to change the belt? Just adding a belt dressing, which I'm assuming is grease or oil will be fine? If so u have anyone dressing in particular in mind
Old 04-28-2009, 08:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
It is not grease, oil,....

It's called Belt Dressing

Any auto parts store will sell it.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Pro

thanks everyone for the help.. i have done a little bit of research on the belt dressing. they said the dressing only takes the sound away temporarily, but in the end i will have to change the belt. lets see what happens. the belt has not been making alot of noise as it did this past saturday. im going to give it a few more days and see whats up
Old 04-28-2009, 09:19 PM
7th Gear

belt dressing may cause premature failure of the belt and may potentially mask symptoms of a failing belt tensioner or accessory such as a/c compressor, alternator or p/s pump. all of which could leave you stranded if they lock up and throw the belt. Replace the belt and clean off any dressing you have applied.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Pro

Sound like you had a bad experience. I don't know wat to do now. I just bought a can of conditioner but haven't used it yet.. I think I'm just gng to take it to acura and avoid other issues

Originally Posted by 07tlt
belt dressing may cause premature failure of the belt and may potentially mask symptoms of a failing belt tensioner or accessory such as a/c compressor, alternator or p/s pump. all of which could leave you stranded if they lock up and throw the belt. Replace the belt and clean off any dressing you have applied.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
hollar back and let us know what you find out... I am having a squeak in my 2001 CLS too...
Old 04-28-2009, 10:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Check the pulleys and tension idler. The bearings will eventually wear out and can cause squealing. But first, make sure your belt is in good condition, being properly tensioned and not glazed. Is your PS fluid reservoir full ?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Pro

Tension is good, no corrosion on pulleys nor on belt... Where are the bearings located so I can check it

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Check the pulleys and tension idler. The bearings will eventually wear out and can cause squealing. But first, make sure your belt is in good condition, being properly tensioned and not glazed. Is your PS fluid reservoir full ?
Old 04-29-2009, 05:13 AM
Intermediate

so how did this one go?
Old 04-29-2009, 07:17 AM
Pro

im going to take it to the dealer and just change the belt. i put that belt dressing, theres no screaching noise, but you can still hear the rotation of the belt...my car doesnt have alot of miles, but im not the original owner..i guess thats what happens when you buy a used car, you get stuck with the problems
Old 04-29-2009, 07:31 AM
Senior Moderator

im going to take it to the dealer and just change the belt. i put that belt dressing, theres no screaching noise, but you can still hear the rotation of the belt...my car doesnt have alot of miles, but im not the original owner..i guess thats what happens when you buy a used car, you get stuck with the problems
And you think this is a problem??? Used car or not it can happen to any one, and car new or used. If its just the squeak you described its just the belt. If you hear a humming/grinding sound its possible its a belt tensioner going. Dont let some of the other post scare you. If you use belt dressing it wont cause premature failure of other things. But if you are hearing it it may be just time to replace the belt. Like i told you before, this is something you can do in your driveway in 30 min with simple hand tools. IF it is making other noises you need to be more specific with them and tell us.

You cant check bearings of any thing.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:41 AM
Pro

thanks alot bro, you have been very helpful..my first car, so i am learning as i go....i took a close look at the belt, its longer than what i thought..lol...ill see if someone can do it for cheap if not ill just do it.

And you think this is a problem??? Used car or not it can happen to any one, and car new or used. If its just the squeak you described its just the belt. If you hear a humming/grinding sound its possible its a belt tensioner going. Dont let some of the other post scare you. If you use belt dressing it wont cause premature failure of other things. But if you are hearing it it may be just time to replace the belt. Like i told you before, this is something you can do in your driveway in 30 min with simple hand tools. IF it is making other noises you need to be more specific with them and tell us.

You cant check bearings of any thing.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Pro

alot of crazy things just happened. i just called acura and they told me $245. they must think im dumb, to change the serpentine belt. went to a local guy, he said 45 bux if i buy the belt. acura told me it takes and hour and a half..bs! this local guy tole me 15 minutes,

so i parked the car and cleaned some oil that was around the belt. i figured the oil came from the belt conditioner i put. seems that the oil was coming from the power steering resvoir. when i first opened up my hood last weekened i saw that the resevoir was hanging loose. and now that i looked at it, the thing was melted. seems that the oil was splashing onto the belt thats why that noise was happenening. so now i have to go buy a resevoir. do u guys suggest i change it myself or should i pay a mechanic?
Old 04-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Instructor

Look here car-parts.com you may be able to find a good used one.
Change the belts also, with the soaking they got from the leaking p/steering fluid. Who khows??
Go to the guy that is going to charge you $45 for the belts, ask him to install the reservoir for free.
Good luck.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Senior Moderator

alot of crazy things just happened. i just called acura and they told me $245. they must think im dumb, to change the serpentine belt. went to a local guy, he said 45 bux if i buy the belt. acura told me it takes and hour and a half..bs! this local guy tole me 15 minutes,

so i parked the car and cleaned some oil that was around the belt. i figured the oil came from the belt conditioner i put. seems that the oil was coming from the power steering resvoir. when i first opened up my hood last weekened i saw that the resevoir was hanging loose. and now that i looked at it, the thing was melted. seems that the oil was splashing onto the belt thats why that noise was happenening. so now i have to go buy a resevoir. do u guys suggest i change it myself or should i pay a mechanic?
Buy it and install it yourself.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by spiro
Look here car-parts.com you may be able to find a good used one.
Change the belts also, with the soaking they got from the leaking p/steering fluid. Who khows??
Go to the guy that is going to charge you $45 for the belts, ask him to install the reservoir for free.
Good luck.
Im not sure i would waste my time unless there is on locally you can get yourself. Its only 30 bucks new.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Pro

thanks alot everyone; ..but i called acura and i told them its there fault. they did some work for me not to long ago and they forgot to mount the power steering container up again, so they are at fault. i will be taking the car tomorrow back to them where they should replace everything at no cost. hopefully none of the electrical got messed up..

Im not sure i would waste my time unless there is on locally you can get yourself. Its only 30 bucks new.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:52 AM
Pro

so i took the car to acura. they wil fix it a no cost. but i will have to leave the car overnight because they dont have the parts. i really dont like leaving my car overnight..i feel as if they are going to drive around on it. does anyone feel this way?
Old 05-01-2009, 07:00 AM
Pro

so acura finished the job in one day . they got the pieces from a local acura dealer. picked it up at 530. so everytime i pick up the car from the mechanic i always get paranoid because when they fix something, i feel like they fu%k something else up. after driving a little, the car was vibrating , and it will like be smooth and then vibrate and make a slight jump. and i will continue. i stopped by burger king. not sure if my front tires where on top of the side walk because it was a narrow drive thru. when i was waiting, i was hearing the fan blow really fast and then stop. and it did this a few times when i pulled away from the drive thru, i didnt hear it again. this morning, there was just some vibration in the vehicle..

i really hope these are not big issues and its just me being paranoid..and if they are i hope its because of the serpentine belt is new, and it needs to get worn in.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:20 AM
Senior Moderator

i really hope these are not big issues and its just me being paranoid..and if they are i hope its because of the serpentine belt is new, and it needs to get worn in.
The belt wouldnt cause any of what you described
Old 05-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Pro

whats up fellas.. i joined this thread. can you please join it as well and tell me what you think- it speaks about vibration in the vehicle, mostly what im going through now. i made some posts-let me know if u guys agree or not

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/there-any-tls-out-there-without-driveline-vibration-724214/