Another D5 Light issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:02 AM
2002 TL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another D5 Light issue

Okay guys I've seen a lot of posts out here regarding D5 light issues, but none of them seem to match the symptoms I'm having. I've got a 2002 TL-S with about 140,000 miles on it. The original tranny was replaced at 38K and the new is having on slipping issues currently.

That being said I'm starting to have an issue with my D5 light on my dash and it seems to always happen 10-12 miles into my drive to work in the mornings (highway at 65 mph). At first I noticed the light would just flash on and off for about a minute or less. I brought the car into the Acura dealership to pull the code, but there was no code. Well now every once in a while when the D5 light flashes I notice the car will drop down into 4th gear and then right back into 5th. I brought the car back to Acura and once again no code, and they could duplicate the symptoms. Driving home last night (again I've only had the flashing problem driving to work in the mornings except for once) I felt the car downshift from 5th gear into 4th. When I looked down the D5 light was completely off, but when I tapped on the accelerator (not enough to even change the speed) the light would come on. When I took my foot off the light would go back off. I believe the car dropped into 4th gear 1 or 2 more times during this bout that lasted about 20 seconds. After that the light flashed on/off for about another 20 seconds and then stayed on for the rest of the trip home. To say the least the car is going back to the Acura dealership on Thrusday, and it ain't coming back home until they figure it out.

So my guess at this time is the computer that controls the electronic shifting in the transmission is going out or something. I can only assume that no code is being generatd because the computer thinks I'm giving it input to accelerate and down shifts into 4th gear when I'm driving at a consistent 65mph. The last time I had the dealership call the Acura hotline and they told them without a code nothing is wrong.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue with their TL-S. I'm really don't want to buy a new car for another 1-2 years, but this may force me into it. I know I'm dealing with a ticking time bomb, but in my case the tranny at least seems solid, but I'm concerned about the thing getting very confused and dropping from 5th down to 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear thus launching me through the front windshield. Just so you know the tranny has all of the most recent safety recalls done on the it.

HELP!!!!!
Old 02-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
you have an original style trans case with the external oil jet kit- the only trans safety recall, issued in 2004
there is a different case used after early 2005

with slipping on accelleration- you get clutch disc wear as they try to get traction against each other and the pressure plates,
that sends particulate matter thru the system

Inside the torque convertor, where over half the fluid is, the outlet ports have screens that get clogged with that material as you drive
Stopping and letting it cool will restore short term function,,until it gets flung out onto the filters,,,

thats classic symptoms of the trans failure

the shifting out of 5th is probably the TC malfunctioning,,is it really shifting- the gear indicator says so--use SS mode to test

It shouldnt wildly shift into 1st,,and the recall oil jet kit is supposed to prevent 2nd gear shaft breakage,,, which was a major problem at freeway speed
Old 02-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
have you been doing annual or any type of trans fluid change on it?

hows the fluid look and smell
Old 02-23-2011, 08:22 PM
2002 TL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes I have been doing tranmission drain and fills only. The fluid was done around March of last year. The fluid is full and has its normal pink color to it, and didn't have a burnt smell either. You could see a little bit of dirt in the fluid, but it was not dirty by any means.

As far as the downshifting goes you are correct that I don't know if it is truly dropping into 4th gear or not. However the engine RPMs do increase and by the time I look down at the dash I see them dropping back down. I'm guess the RPMs go from just about 2000 to 2300 - 2500 when it happens.