Acura tl type s 02 Problem Engine light and d5 flashing

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012 | 09:52 PM
9th Gear

Acura tl type s 02 Problem Engine light and d5 flashing

Hey guys I need some help if anyone knows.

I just bought a acura tl type s automatic 02 around 101km on it.

Recently during shifting from 1 to 2nd gear I get a sudden jolt for some weird reason like driving a manual which is the feeling of the jolt. It only happens when I start up the car and if I drive after the jolt it usually doesn't happen again until the next day.

So fast forward to today. I reverse the car out of the garage I hear some funny noise and two blocks later I rev it up to go to 2nd of 3rd gear while in D5. I knew somthing was going to happen because I heard some bad noise like metal clashing together or something. All of a sudden I hear this noise the car check engine light is on and my D5 was flashing.

I was pretty worried so it was a good thing I was only 3 or 4 blocks away from home so I drove back home about 5miles per hour.

I'll be taking it to the mechanic as soon as possible. I pray to god that it's not the tranny or I'm in some serious trouble because I'm pretty sure there is no warranty left on it.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks
Old 04-10-2012 | 10:49 PM
Team Owner

sounds like someone was having trans symptoms and sold the car quickly
100km= 60kmiles, right where they start to fail

what does the trans fluid look like? black or brown- smells like burnt sugar?
those would be bad signs

any warranty is well past,,sorry
but
there is an option of using an accord or oddessy trans from a junkyard car
that total runs parts/labor ~1200-1500 u$d.
rebuilding your current trans- 2500

have your mechanic pull the codes and report back with them
that will give us more clues
Old 04-10-2012 | 11:06 PM
Advanced

usually, from 1-to-2 or 2-to-1, you can feel the shift a bit. It is very common for Honda's transmission.

You probably have a tranny problem.

Where did you buy? From dealer or private owner?
Old 04-11-2012 | 11:01 AM
9th Gear

I bought it from private but thank god the guy's my friend so basically he's going to have to deal with it or there's going to be a huge problem between us.

Anyways the car is at the garage right now, and I think you guys are right because when I drive it the sound of the engine is terrible.

Will update this once the mechanic gives me a call.
Old 04-11-2012 | 11:05 AM
9th Gear

Sorry if I'm double posting, don't know how to edit post

I was wondering if the tranny was rebuilt would there still be problems later? Would it be better for a new tranny? Or a rebuilt tranny considered a new tranny? Sorry I am not to car knowlegable.

Thanks again
Old 04-11-2012 | 05:01 PM
9th Gear

Ok I didn't get too much info because I was at work and now the guys off so I won't know until tomorrow.

All he said was he resettled the machine which was giving the code error and now it's driving fine. He said it needs two bolts somewhere close to the transmission, sorry if I'm being vague because I was at work so I couldn't really catch what he said.

He told me the car drives fine now and that not to replace the bolts unless it happens again because it will cost over 5bills because he has to take the transmission out to replace those bolts.

I hope that the tranny doesn't go
Old 04-12-2012 | 10:55 AM
Team Owner

ok he reset the cars brain to clear the codes--thats the ECU
what codes it showed would have helped us,,does this guy really know TL's or just a regular mechanic?

Ive never heard of 2 bolts and 500$ somewhere near the trans
could be bad motor mount(s)?
front and pass side most common but rear/trans mounts have been known to fail and take some time to replace
need much better info on this direct from the tech

If there is a problem it needs to be corrected--it only gets worse!!

rebuilding is all you can do- they dont sell brand new trans for our car
even dealer units are rebuilt and resold

to ck if your current trans is a warranty replacement unit--look at bolt heads on and around trans for blue paint--its easy to spot if present
The following users liked this post:
rockysama (04-12-2012)
Old 04-12-2012 | 05:31 PM
9th Gear

I'm going to pick up the car tomorrow, didn't have time today. Will update the thread with the car codes and what he said.
Old 04-13-2012 | 09:52 AM
9th Gear

Guy was busy that was fixing it didn't have the codes but he told me the ecu code that came out was for the shift solenoid 2 of them because he had to take the tranny out in order to replace them that's why it is so expensive.

So now I test drive the car I noticed it runs smoother. Is it because I had the a rebuilt tranny put in and the ecu wasn't reset?

Aside from that I still feel there is a problem. I only hear the noise once when I start up the car and only when I reverse out. The sounds comes from the top front left which I'm pretty sure of and it sounds like metal scratching. The only issue is it only happens when I first start up the car, after that if I drive for whole day you can't hear it.

Another problem that occurred to me which when I was testing the car out and did not notice before. When I turned right this one time I heard like a metal noise again, sounded like metal clashing or something. Usually I listen to music but I was testing the car and hear it but this is the first time.

Any suggestions? lol the dealer dude told me to just drive it and not worry about the 2 solenoids and to let him know if anything happens.

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
ok he reset the cars brain to clear the codes--thats the ECU
what codes it showed would have helped us,,does this guy really know TL's or just a regular mechanic?

Ive never heard of 2 bolts and 500$ somewhere near the trans
could be bad motor mount(s)?
front and pass side most common but rear/trans mounts have been known to fail and take some time to replace
need much better info on this direct from the tech

If there is a problem it needs to be corrected--it only gets worse!!

rebuilding is all you can do- they dont sell brand new trans for our car
even dealer units are rebuilt and resold

to ck if your current trans is a warranty replacement unit--look at bolt heads on and around trans for blue paint--its easy to spot if present
Old 04-13-2012 | 10:43 AM
9th Gear

Sorry for reposting. Is there any way to edit your messages here because I cannot see a edit button.

One last question about the shift solenoid. My car still jolts me from gear 1 to gear 2, does the shift solenoid have to do anything with that? And the jolt like I said earlier is like how you drive manual and you feel the jolt of the car shifting up. This only happens when I start up the car and drive first minute, after the first time it doesn't reappear until the next day.
Old 04-13-2012 | 10:59 AM
Team Owner

ok your guy DOES NOT KNOW THE TL!!!!

see our diy for replacement or cleaning of the 2 pressure switches aka shift selenoids,
which are externally mounted

let the car warm up 2 minutes then try reverse--does it go in easy?
thats excess line pressure,,try a change of fluid with new honda dw-1 atf
Save 4 ounces of old fluid and send to blackstone labs--25 bucks gets you a mass spectrograph reading and personal interpretation of the fluid condition--
whats floating around the trans??--high amounts of clutch material? or just worn out fluid

noises.,,could be many things,,have a buddy drive while you listen
The following users liked this post:
rockysama (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012 | 11:01 AM
Team Owner

an edit button appears for 5 minutes after you post,,next to the quote button at bottem of post