2003 Tranny - VIN not in warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 11:26 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Tranny - VIN not in warranty

Hello all,

I bought a 2003 TL-S just under a year ago despite what I'd read about all the transmission problems mainly because it appeared that Acura was covering them with a 100K warranty.

The car had 42k when purchased and has been a great car... Until today - 61k miles -- transmission suddenly started slipping only on the upshift from 2 to 3 (if you let off the throttle for a second, it will lock in like is should, then perform normally) - it will also slip when going into Rev from neutral or park - all other gears at this point seem fine.

Now my first question --- since it was after hours when I discovered this problem, I haven't yet contacted Acura - but it seems my car, for some reason is not included in the extended warranty (it's VIN is 51xxx -- only VINs to 19061 are covered).

Has anyone with a high VIN 2003 got Acura to cover their transmission since obviously they did not get the problem fixed in the late 2003 cars?

2nd question - in browsing around the forums I've seen it suggested that they may have finally resolved the clutch pack issue that was plaguing even the replacement transmissions. Anyone with any knowledge on the subject?

If they've really got the problem fixed on the new ones, it would take some of the sting away if I have to pay for this myself --- if they haven't I am not going to be happy at all about having to lay down hard earned cash on a faulty trans that's going to fail again in the near future.

I really enjoy this car and hope that I don't have to sell it soon for fear of multiple, expensive transmission replacements.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:35 PM
Race Director

First of all your not alone in this failure not in the right VIN range. A lot of people have this problem. Lots of times they can get Acura to cover it for them I hope you have a really good dealer. If it hasnt failed yet maybe you could get an extended warranty before it totally dies? As far as new designs yes thats true 02/05 acura redesigned it and since then there have been few if any complains of tranny failure. Good luck with this issue.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:28 AM
7th Gear

Well, that's reasonably good news on both fronts.

I'll definitely be voicing my displeasure if they give me grief about warranting it as it's a definite well known issue. I guess we'll see how good the "local" (50 miles away) dealer is.

I really wouldn't feel good at all about buying an extended warranty knowing trans failure is eminent - I would much rather Acura take care of the issue as they should. Heck, if I wanted to deal with Trans issues @60k I could have bought a F*rd or Chr*sler .

It would definitely be good to hear from some that have been down the road I am about to embark on with unfavorable VIN... Any little bit will help me fight the good fight.

I've been reading the "big thread" and have found a few instances of people like myself that Acura covered ---- things are looking up a bit

Thanks
Old 05-21-2007, 11:10 AM
10th Gear

I am in the same situation as you except my tranny is still working. I have done some research on what to do if the tranny goes bad. Most on this site recommend you call Acura client services (1-800-382-2238) prior to asking the dealer for goodwill repair. The only time you should ask the dealer first is if you have a relationship with them, ie., you bought the car from acura dealer or you have paid for a considerable amount of service work from them. If you ask dealer first and they turn you down, it seems it is then toughter to get Acura client servies to help. Most people on this site feel that you have a better shot with Acura client services than a dealer that you don't know.
Also, if Acura won't goodwill the tranny replacement, they often will pay for the parts if you pay the labor or the will split cost of repair with you. Anything is better than having to pay the full amount on your own.
Let us know how things turn out for you. We can all use any tips that you can give us after going thru the process.
ONe last thing, Stress to them that you bought any Acura because of the reputation for dependabilty and quality and also that it is well documented that this is a known problem with the tranny.
Good luck.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:41 AM
7th Gear

Thanks for the advice. I'll be calling the client services folks shortly as I do not have any relationship with the dealer. My car is only out of the "normal" warranty by 11k miles, is completely stock, and is in very good condition otherwise so hopefully they'll be receptive.

I'll post updates on my progress.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Intermediate

Last week I had the same problem as you. My '03 wasn't covered under the extended warranty and I made it very clear that I still expected Acura to cover it. Acura will more than likely replace the parts and you will be asked to cover the labor. ~$600 is alot better than paying out ~$4000+
Old 05-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 86atc250r
Hello all,

I bought a 2003 TL-S just under a year ago despite what I'd read about all the transmission problems mainly because it appeared that Acura was covering them with a 100K warranty.

The car had 42k when purchased and has been a great car... Until today - 61k miles -- transmission suddenly started slipping only on the upshift from 2 to 3 (if you let off the throttle for a second, it will lock in like is should, then perform normally) - it will also slip when going into Rev from neutral or park - all other gears at this point seem fine.

Now my first question --- since it was after hours when I discovered this problem, I haven't yet contacted Acura - but it seems my car, for some reason is not included in the extended warranty (it's VIN is 51xxx -- only VINs to 19061 are covered).

Has anyone with a high VIN 2003 got Acura to cover their transmission since obviously they did not get the problem fixed in the late 2003 cars?

2nd question - in browsing around the forums I've seen it suggested that they may have finally resolved the clutch pack issue that was plaguing even the replacement transmissions. Anyone with any knowledge on the subject?

If they've really got the problem fixed on the new ones, it would take some of the sting away if I have to pay for this myself --- if they haven't I am not going to be happy at all about having to lay down hard earned cash on a faulty trans that's going to fail again in the near future.

I really enjoy this car and hope that I don't have to sell it soon for fear of multiple, expensive transmission replacements.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
You will not have to pay for it, I know people who were not in the recall but tranny was covered. This whole tranny thing is a nightmare for them so they will fix it plus your dealer will push it through. Plus you are just over the original warranty. You should be able to get it taken care of. Good luck keep us posted
Old 05-22-2007, 05:17 PM
7th Gear

You are correct sir!

I called Acura Client Services yesterday - they reassured me that if it was found to be a defect Acura would provide assistance (if it was "normal wear" they would not), however, I'd have to take it to the dealer for a diagnosis before any decision could be made.

Called and scheduled an appointment with the dealer for this afternoon. Took it in, and sat in the waiting area for about 45 minutes.

The service rep came back to the waiting area, told me the transmission did in fact need to be replaced. He said that it was not covered by warranty, but he called it in & Acura agreed to cover all costs as a one time "good will" replacement. We filled out a small amount of paperwork & I was given an almost new TSX as a loaner. They told me they expect to have it taken care of by Friday.

The whole situation was handled very professionally by the dealership folks. I guess a lot of how this is handled depends probably on how things are handled by the dealership.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Good to hear everything worked out. Thumps up for Acura standing behind their products.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Without a garage

Good to hear you had a very positive experience. I'm in the same boat as you and pray I get treated the same should something happen.

-knocks on wood-
Old 05-31-2007, 05:26 PM
7th Gear

Update...

We received our car back today - everything was taken care of for no charge. The folks at Acura of Springfield, MO were extremely professional, helpful, and enthusiastic about helping.

I hope everyone's right about the root cause being corrected in post 02/05 transmissions - we really like this car and I'd hate to have to sell it for fear that the trans could start having trouble again at any moment....
Old 06-01-2007, 01:58 AM
Intermediate

im sorry guys my englise no good but my car is not cover under warrenty cause acura told me its the late model so its fix. i was driving on the freeway at 5am doing 120km my car downshift hard and i lost control then my car spin out then my tranny was done it kept downshiftin to 2 gear when its tryin to go in to 3th gear not it stays in 2th gear and my car can't go back i trying talking to acura then they told me they nothing fixing it cause my car is over the reg warrenty i have 119km thats still new i would never buy a honda agian
Old 06-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tdot_TLS
im sorry guys my englise no good but my car is not cover under warrenty cause acura told me its the late model so its fix. i was driving on the freeway at 5am doing 120km my car downshift hard and i lost control then my car spin out then my tranny was done it kept downshiftin to 2 gear when its tryin to go in to 3th gear not it stays in 2th gear and my car can't go back i trying talking to acura then they told me they nothing fixing it cause my car is over the reg warrenty i have 119km thats still new i would never buy a honda agian
If you only talked to an Acura dealership, don't give up just yet. Call Acura's toll-free Customer Care group and see if they might be habl to help with the repair. There have been many reports of out-of-waranty "good will" repairs.

It won't hurt to ask.

Good Luck!

Bob
Old 06-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Intermediate

i did all that and they had a reveiw then they told me F U u cause i had no service record but i did all my service in time elsewhere. why would i go pay all that money to acura when i can get it done for alot less. i can't belive this is happening to a car thats like new. right now i have no money to pay for a new tranny and on top of that its a honda
Old 06-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
The service records are BS excuse
They dont require any service to the trans fluid on the gen 2 cars- they didnt figure they needed it- now gen3 has to change fluid to prevent failures

Call acura care at 1-800-382-2238 x 5
6am to 5pm pacific time monday thru friday

Ask for someone who speaks you native langueage and go from there
You have rights- they have responsibility

I always mention I belong to Acurazine- dealers know how fast bad word travels on the internet!!
Old 06-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
As long as you keep all the receipts for service- there is no rule that you must do things at the dealer.
You can change all the parts yourself as long as you document the date and mileage of service
You can even use Acuras own computer to track your service!!
register at www.acura.com owner link and make account with your VIN number
have radio code handy and you can store it there for future referance
Old 06-04-2007, 01:55 AM
Intermediate

they keep saying its past the warrenty