2003 acura TL 3.2 gas mileage drop off

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 08:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 acura TL 3.2 gas mileage drop off

Up until my recent drop in MPG I have/had NO ISSUES WITH MY 2003 ACURA TL. I mainly do city driving and perform regular maintenace.

Lately (last month) i Notice that I was losing mpg. I normally get 300 before the gas mileage light goes on but the last two times I avg 260. First I brought seafoam on the advice of a friend but nothing really changed, so after I filled up the tank the 2nd time I took my 2003 acura TL too the acura dealer for a correct diagnosis of the issue that caused my car to suddenly drop MPG.

This is what they told me could be the probelm. Normally i recived great service from the acura dealer but i felt this particular time they were guessing at best. They said, whatever is causing my low gas mileage could be resolved by some, all or none of these suggested maintenance I should have them do:

1. replacement Front wheel bearings
2. get an Alignment
3. Get the Induction Throttle cleaned
4. Replaced Air filter
5. Replace Timing Belt
6. Replace both Front & rear Mounts
7. Replace spark plugs
8. Replace Transmission Fluid
9. Replace Fuel Filter.

Like I said, I felt they were guessing at best. So what I did do YESTERDAY was: Replace Air Filters, Spark Plugs, Oil & oil filter, Transmission Filter and Added SeaFoam. I will replace my timing belt next because its long overdue. I'm going to fill up the tank again and see if anything has changed. I'll keep you posted. If anyone wants to comment on any of the above please do so.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:52 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry I didn't mean to post this in this thread. I'm a NOOB and don't know how to delete and or move the post. Sorry!!
Old 09-05-2016, 10:55 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Brazil
sorry I didn't mean to post this in this thread. I'm a NOOB and don't know how to delete and or move the post. Sorry!!
I'm sure a mod will be along at some point and move this over to the 2G forum.
Up until my recent drop in MPG I have/had NO ISSUES WITH MY 2003 ACURA TL. I mainly do city driving and perform regular maintenace.

Lately (last month) i Notice that I was losing mpg. I normally get 300 before the gas mileage light goes on but the last two times I avg 260. First I brought seafoam on the advice of a friend but nothing really changed, so after I filled up the tank the 2nd time I took my 2003 acura TL too the acura dealer for a correct diagnosis of the issue that caused my car to suddenly drop MPG.

This is what they told me could be the probelm. Normally i recived great service from the acura dealer but i felt this particular time they were guessing at best. They said, whatever is causing my low gas mileage could be resolved by some, all or none of these suggested maintenance I should have them do:

1. replacement Front wheel bearings
2. get an Alignment
3. Get the Induction Throttle cleaned
4. Replaced Air filter
5. Replace Timing Belt
6. Replace both Front & rear Mounts
7. Replace spark plugs
8. Replace Transmission Fluid
9. Replace Fuel Filter.

Like I said, I felt they were guessing at best. So what I did do YESTERDAY was: Replace Air Filters, Spark Plugs, Oil & oil filter, Transmission Filter and Added SeaFoam. I will replace my timing belt next because its long overdue. I'm going to fill up the tank again and see if anything has changed. I'll keep you posted. If anyone wants to comment on any of the above please do so.
It for sure seems the dealer was guessing...which is exactly what most of us are going to do. Bad MPG can have many causes that you will just have to work through one by one. Rarely is there a smoking gun that points to exactly what is going on.

#1 - Stop using the gas light as your guesstimate on how many miles you are getting out of a tank. Actually calculate out your MPG with miles driven divided by gallons of fuel filled back up. This establishes a much better baseline to check against.

#2 - Check the easy stuff first:
- Tires (condition and pressure)
- Alignment
- Using premium fuel

#3 - Check other maintenance items (which you already did)
- Air Filter
- Spark Plugs

#4 - Your guess is as good as mine....the list from the dealer isn't a bad place to start as most of those items are good maintenance items to do. However some of them for sure will have little to no impact on your MPG. There are gobs and gobs of threads discussing MPG issues. I am not familiar with the differences in the 2G vs 3G so no idea if there any other "items" that are more specific to the 2G that I missed.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I moved this thread to 2G TL and deleted the new thread you posted here.