TL-S on H&R's with DC Sports & Apexi II Long... :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
TL-S on H&R's with DC Sports & Apexi II Long... :)

So I've been lurking for quite a while and finally have some mods that are worthy of a pic post. This past weekend I finally installed the following:

DC Sport Headers - Waited over a month for these to ship
Apexi II exhaust
H&R Sport Coilovers

Props go out to Soyboy26 and his brother for doing the majority of the install. They were extremely meticulous in working on my car! Also thanks goes out to malayalee king for making shipment of the springs so easy.

Now for the pic's
We dropped the exhaust out completely which proved to be the easiest way to install both the headers and WSII's

Pic of the car jacked up and mid project

After installing everything we unhooked the battery for 5 minutes to reset the ecu. Things to make note of when unhooking the battery:
1. Have your radio unlock code handy
2. Your auto up / auto down feature for your driver side window will no longer work. Here's the fix: (provided from this forum by searching - I take no credit)

"Turn your car key to the on position. Roll down your driver side window and hold for 10 seconds. Release and roll the window up and hold for 10 seconds."

Pic of the car finished and on the street

Many people have talked about the issues with the DC Sport header gaskets. Here's a picture comparison between a new gasket and a blown out gasket. We ended up using racing gaskets from a local shop in place of the one's supplied by DC Sport.

There are still a few things I need to resolve regarding this install.
1. The stock exhaust hangers do not line up well with the aftermarket exhaust. So I've ordered smaller hangers which should resolve some noise issues with the heat shields and also even out the exhaust tips.

2. When replacing headers always buy new gaskets. We reused the stock gaskets and they are leaking (I ordered new ones which should resolve this problem). For clarification purposes I'm talking about the gasket between the block and the header.

First impressions:
WSII's & DC Sport Headers:
The WSII's are quite loud and take some getting used to. The combination of the headers and exhaust add significant power to the car and force you to resist the urge to floor it. Taking this into account gas milleage is diminished solely because you push your car harder

H&R Sport Springs:
Honestly when I first took my car out after the drop I felt like I was driving a large go kart. The fun factor is significantly increased while the ride quality is slightly diminished. I am running with the stock shocks so some bounce is expected when hitting small bumps.

Overall I'm happy with my new mods and wish that I had the $$$ to do it sooner. Thanks to everyone on the forum for giving me the resources to make an educated purchase while modding my car!
Old 09-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good, this forum is great for finding deals and there is always someone willing to work on your car for beer and food
Old 09-11-2006, 01:53 PM
アキュラ 力

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks Good Chris! Now you just need to make sure you somehow get out of that conference you're supposed to attend and attend the Mid Atlantic Acurazine Mega Meet The car is looking sick BTW.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Blazin with your Moms in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice looking setup there.. How do they sound?

I used to have a WSII on my hatchy whenthe WSII first came out.. sounded throaty on that..(I also had intake/header)
Old 09-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Originally Posted by special e. dition
Nice looking setup there.. How do they sound?

I used to have a WSII on my hatchy whenthe WSII first came out.. sounded throaty on that..(I also had intake/header)
My boy had them on his GSR and it was loud as hell
Old 09-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Drifting

i ordered a ws2 exhaust a wk ago, couldnt hear those comptechs well enough to keep
Old 09-11-2006, 02:57 PM
Burning Brakes

They are pretty loud even when inside the cabin. There is a constant but subtle drone pretty much any time you’re on the throttle. I'll try to post a video at some point.

It's hard to really convey the noise level though because it's really throaty. Since our cars idle at bellow 2k rpm most of the time it's noticeable but not bad. I would only recommend this exhaust to someone who is expecting to have loud exhaust.

You will hear these... this I promise you
Old 09-11-2006, 06:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by death
They are pretty loud even when inside the cabin. There is a constant but subtle drone pretty much any time you’re on the throttle. I'll try to post a video at some point.

It's hard to really convey the noise level though because it's really throaty. Since our cars idle at bellow 2k rpm most of the time it's noticeable but not bad. I would only recommend this exhaust to someone who is expecting to have loud exhaust.

You will hear these... this I promise you
the exhuast cant be that much louder then others with the same exhaust on this site, from the vids its not too bad, your kinda makin out be like a GSR with an Apexi N1, those things are ridiculous
Old 09-11-2006, 08:01 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
nice work bro
Old 09-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys!

I talked with SoyBoy26 and the gaskets will be in on Wed. so hopefully I'll have my headers leak fixed by the end of this week.

Let me know if you guys want pics from different angles. I'm hesitant to post pics of the tips until I get the new hangers installed
Old 09-11-2006, 08:35 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

bout time u updated ur avatar haha
Old 09-11-2006, 10:40 PM
woooo!!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
night and day difference with the drop. everything looks great and glad to see that you are enjoying it!
Old 09-12-2006, 02:04 AM
Scru U guyz, Im Goin Home

Originally Posted by Malayalee King
bout time u updated ur avatar haha
lol, ur 1 to talk.

btw how was ur trip to the bay?

sry 4 the hijack............nice pics, good work
Old 09-14-2006, 03:27 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

chris, got those gaskets in? I/O me some, charge it to my cost center
Old 09-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Malayalee King
chris, got those gaskets in? I/O me some, charge it to my cost center
The gaskets are in and there is no more leaking! I almost got a ticket driving home last night though, he he.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Just one final word regarding installation of WSII's. I just installed Urethane hangers to resolve issues with the exhaust making a "metal against metal" vibrating noise. The hangers are expensive but worth it. They are much more rigid then stock hangers and much thicker.

While installing the hangers I found the source of the problem/noise. Right before the Y pipe ends it comes very close to hitting the heat shield. By close I mean almost touching. I'm going to unbolt it and adjust it... but it's just one more thing to check if your doing this install yourself.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:55 AM
05 Acura TL: a-spec

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Where did you get your WSII's from? i have been searching the net and most end up being $600 shipped... Great job! looks great
Old 09-15-2006, 07:46 AM
Low and Slow

Very nice looking, and great combo. DC headers and WS II exhaust
Old 09-15-2006, 08:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CaliChris517
Where did you get your WSII's from? i have been searching the net and most end up being $600 shipped... Great job! looks great
I got mine from TrueHondaCom which is out of IL. That price sounds about right. From what I hear Apexi just finished shipping a new batch to the US. Depending on where your located I would recommend either TrueHonda or Excellerate.

Thanks guys for the comments!
Old 09-19-2006, 11:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I got mine from TrueHondaCom which is out of IL. That price sounds about right. From what I hear Apexi just finished shipping a new batch to the US. Depending on where your located I would recommend either TrueHonda or Excellerate.

Thanks guys for the comments!

I checked out that website, didn't see any selection for the TL. Most of their product is for the Civic. How did you order yours?
Old 09-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice work.
When you said you replaced the "blown out gasket" was that the original factory one or DC Sports? Can you give an estimate of the install time for each part?
Old 09-22-2006, 08:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jayunsplanet
Nice work.
When you said you replaced the "blown out gasket" was that the original factory one or DC Sports? Can you give an estimate of the install time for each part?
We ended up replacing two different gaskets. One between the engine block and the header and the gaskets between the header and the b pipe. In terms of install time we started at roughly 11 am and finished by 4 pm. This included taking a short lunch break.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CaliChris517

i got mine from excellerate last wk, 650 overnighted to me
Old 09-22-2006, 01:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Phrosttz0
i got mine from excellerate last wk, 650 overnighted to me
Let us know how the install goes and if you have any fitment issues.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:43 PM
trill recognize trill

damn hte exhaust cans look huge i guess because the lip doesn't really conceal it as well...the WSII was gonna my first choice for an exhaust until i found out most of the mufflers we install on our car have a constant droning....so i went with a custom magnaflow setup, and i couldn't be happier, almost no droning on the highway and a nice highpitched sound when u gun it, somewhat like a g35
Old 10-01-2006, 11:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 219 Likes on 168 Posts
what's droning?
Old 10-02-2006, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by InspireTL
what's droning?
It's the sound from your exhaust that can be heard within the cabin. Aftermarket exhaust is considerably louder then stock and is muffled due to the outside noise making it into the cabin. The "droning" noise is a combination of the exhaust being more throating / louder.

If you come to the up coming meet you'll hear exactly what I'm talking about.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Drifting

Let us know how the install goes and if you have any fitment issues.

no real fitment issues on the WS2, the only thing was the mufflers hanging a bit low, i just used some hose clamps the adjustable kind, put them around the rubber exhaust hangers and tightened them until the mufflers were placed where i wanted them. I have noticed the exhaust being a lil bit louder then the Comptech axlebacks, the droning isnt too bad, but under 2k rmps you can really hear it. I like it alot more then the comptechs.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Phrosttz0
no real fitment issues on the WS2, the only thing was the mufflers hanging a bit low, i just used some hose clamps the adjustable kind, put them around the rubber exhaust hangers and tightened them until the mufflers were placed where i wanted them. I have noticed the exhaust being a lil bit louder then the Comptech axlebacks, the droning isnt too bad, but under 2k rmps you can really hear it. I like it alot more then the comptechs.
Good to hear your install went smoothly