New pics....02 ABP TL-S (new window spoiler)...56K use caution!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 09:17 PM
Drivin' it till it dies!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
New pics....02 ABP TL-S (new window spoiler)...56K use caution!!

Just installed the window spoiler....so I took a shitload of pics. Enjoy!!

Old 08-30-2006, 09:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
big tings, looks good
Old 08-30-2006, 09:42 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good man..nice local for pics
Old 08-30-2006, 10:08 PM
アキュラ 力

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking good! The roof spoiler compliments the lip spoiler on your trunk
Old 08-30-2006, 10:44 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice. I like it!
Old 08-30-2006, 10:57 PM

that shit is cleannnn
Old 08-30-2006, 11:14 PM
Advanced

Like said above, it definately compliments your trunk lip spoiler. By the way, think you could let me in on your secret how you put your front plate on? looks good down there.
Thx,

Chris
Old 08-31-2006, 12:50 AM
Burning Brakes

is that the sarona? lookin' good man sweet pics too
Old 08-31-2006, 01:02 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by SiCrew
is that the sarona? lookin' good man sweet pics too
That is the m3 trunk spolier mod it to fit the rear window, i might be wrong but that is what i used on mines and a really easy mod. pistacio Clean looking ride.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:31 AM
Instructor

tight...very nice
Old 08-31-2006, 02:41 AM
NB_Exit9eR

Now that is a nice spoiler. i hate the sarona. any D.I.Y around? nice looking ride bro.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:04 AM
Pro

look at you holdin out on me with the new mods. shits hot
Old 08-31-2006, 09:06 AM
Racer

the roof wing looks good....nice choice of wheels!
Old 08-31-2006, 09:24 AM

Thanks guys.

Justin...i thought I told you about that?

Its the M3 lip modified to fit.....very easy, just takes a little sanding to match the molding on the window. I really couldn't justify spending $300 on the Sarona, plus its a little too big for my liking.

I'll try to get some pics of my plate brackets later.....
Old 08-31-2006, 09:31 AM
B A N N E D

overall nice car and addition...looks hot
Old 08-31-2006, 09:45 AM
Rebourne

Looks good man!

I like the painted front grill, looks much better then all that chrome. How did you get the paint to stick when you painted over the chrome, is there a special process to make it look so good?
Old 08-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Wallace, LA

^^^^ Probably Bulldog adhesion promoter
Old 08-31-2006, 01:32 PM
Drifting

looks good
Old 08-31-2006, 03:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pistacio

Its the M3 lip modified to fit.....very easy, just takes a little sanding to match the molding on the window. I really couldn't justify spending $300 on the Sarona, plus its a little too big for my liking.
Great looking mod. Subtle.

So does that mean you got two of the same M3 lip and cut one down? Or did you order a shorter one for the roof? Wondering how you did it since the trunk is obviously much wider than the roof.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:01 PM
Blazin with your Moms in

Looks good.................. even for an ABP!!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 09:15 PM

Jrock04TSX Looks good man!

I like the painted front grill, looks much better then all that chrome. How did you get the paint to stick when you painted over the chrome, is there a special process to make it look so good?
A good amount of sanding (80 grit?) and adhesion promoter.....the body shop did it.....

blueguava Great looking mod. Subtle.

So does that mean you got two of the same M3 lip and cut one down? Or did you order a shorter one for the roof? Wondering how you did it since the trunk is obviously much wider than the roof.

I actually bought the M5 rear lip straight from BMW. Its made out of polyurethane (like plastic)....the window spoiler is different. I bought the cheap one off of ebay...its like rubber......44" long, then trimmed and sanded the edges to fit the rear window.

special e. dition Looks good.................. even for an ABP!!!!

Don't be jealous.....you know ABP>SSM ......them is fightin' words I forgot to send you a message about the spoiler....as you can see it worked out pretty good
Old 08-31-2006, 10:35 PM
woooo!!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
semi off-topic, but i dig your a-spec style grille looks great in abp

your m5 trunk spoiler is just like mine, just about a pinky width off from the edge
Old 08-31-2006, 11:12 PM
PROUD TL OWNER

Hey Nice But I Still Liked It With The Airbags On It . So You Sell The Air Bags Yet ?
So I Had A Question Where Did You Get Your Old Grill The One That Looked Like Chicken Wire. And Can You Give Me The Info Thanks;
Old 08-31-2006, 11:38 PM
Instructor

well prep'd car + superb lighting + great setting = terrific photography!
exterior mods were tastefully done. great job
Old 09-01-2006, 12:54 AM
Advanced

I actually bought the M5 rear lip straight from BMW. Its made out of polyurethane (like plastic)....the window spoiler is different. I bought the cheap one off of ebay...its like rubber......44" long, then trimmed and sanded the edges to fit the rear window.
Was it difficult and what did you use to trim and sand? I'm guessing since the Ebay lip is rubber (cast in a mold) it's the same color all the way through and does not require repaint or paint touch-up..... Thanks
Old 09-01-2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by blueguava
Was it difficult and what did you use to trim and sand? I'm guessing since the Ebay lip is rubber (cast in a mold) it's the same color all the way through and does not require repaint or paint touch-up..... Thanks

It wasn't that bad...just takes a little time and patience. I used a hacksaw to rough out the profile, then a razor blade to shave it closer, then finally sanded it once I was close enough to the contour of the window molding. It definitely takes a bit of sanding because IT IS rubber, and takes some effort to remove material. And yes, it is the same color all the way thru....its dull black though, so it really should be painted.

Originally Posted by acright tl
Hey Nice But I Still Liked It With The Airbags On It . So You Sell The Air Bags Yet ?
So I Had A Question Where Did You Get Your Old Grill The One That Looked Like Chicken Wire. And Can You Give Me The Info Thanks;
I liked the air ride too, but it took up too much space and weighed the car down. I'm more into the perfromance of the car now. I have some pics of it....I can explain it a little better later when I get home...I'll send you a PM.

Originally Posted by TophsTLs
Like said above, it definately compliments your trunk lip spoiler. By the way, think you could let me in on your secret how you put your front plate on? looks good down there.
Thx,

Chris

I have some pics of that, too. I'll upload and post them once I get home
Old 09-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Advanced

Thanks alot man. I got pulled over speedin the other day and the cop also mentioned the front plate not mounted. I made up a story that i ordered the bracket from the dealer and that it hasn't came in yet b/c i've only had the car for like a month. He bought it and warned me to get one on soon. He was a poe dunk town cop just tryin to make extra bucks for his town. All the other KC cops around don't even bat an eye lookin at my car without a plate on the front, even though it still is a state law here in Missouri. You can pm me the pics and instructions or however you want to do it.
Thx!

Chris
Old 09-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Blazin with your Moms in

A good amount of sanding (80 grit?) and adhesion promoter.....the body shop did it.....

Don't be jealous.....you know ABP>SSM ......them is fightin' words I forgot to send you a message about the spoiler....as you can see it worked out pretty good
Pimpin Homie straight Pimpin!!!! Im gonna have to get on my grind for the Hopkington Meet...
Old 09-01-2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by TophsTLs
Thanks alot man. I got pulled over speedin the other day and the cop also mentioned the front plate not mounted. I made up a story that i ordered the bracket from the dealer and that it hasn't came in yet b/c i've only had the car for like a month. He bought it and warned me to get one on soon. He was a poe dunk town cop just tryin to make extra bucks for his town. All the other KC cops around don't even bat an eye lookin at my car without a plate on the front, even though it still is a state law here in Missouri. You can pm me the pics and instructions or however you want to do it.
Thx!

Chris

O.K....here's some pics. Its self explanatory, really.

Old 09-01-2006, 02:01 PM

Talking Some more:

Old 09-01-2006, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by acright tl

It was a complete pain in the ass the whole way thru, but if you want to do it............I bought the mesh from Pep Boys (autozone or Advance should have it too). You can't use "gutter gaurd" on the '02 '03 because its not tall enough. I trimmed it out and sandwiched it in between the chrome grill molding and gray plastic of the grill, then screwed it back together:

For the bottom, I used the same mesh (a new piece....not enough left over if doing both the upper and lower), trimmed it, and made brackets:

Old 09-01-2006, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by nb_exit9er
Now that is a nice spoiler. i hate the sarona. any D.I.Y around? nice looking ride bro.

All you have to do is cut this and sand it to fit:

Originally Posted by subtledreamer
semi off-topic, but i dig your a-spec style grille looks great in abp

your m5 trunk spoiler is just like mine, just about a pinky width off from the edge

If yours is a genuine BMW M5 spoiler, that's the way it should fit I really didn't want it to go right up the edge of the trunk.....I like the way it tapers off to the rear quarters....
Old 09-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Drifting

looks real slick man, nice ride
Old 09-02-2006, 01:07 AM
99TL-p 114K

Thanks guys.

Justin...i thought I told you about that?

I'll try to get some pics of my plate brackets later.....
Aight Mad questions for you. How easy is it on a scale from one to ten to modify the m3 lip into a rear window spoiler?? Looks very clean, great idea. Yea, that sarona is rediculously expensive. Also, your fucken exhaust looks gangsta as fuck. What exhaust do you have, piping size, type, and what mufflers etc because it looks like your mufflers are perfect and they dont hang low or anything. They look like you had them tucked up in there as much as possible. From what it looks like, i love the way the mufflers are tucked in there, yours dont look like everyone elses that has the magnaflow mufflers. Hit me back ASAP, need to kno.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:11 AM
99TL-p 114K

How the hell did you get your engine bay area so damn clean in that pic above??? its like show room Clean, WTF??? I want mine to look like that. lol
Old 09-02-2006, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by dvsxlt247
Aight Mad questions for you. How easy is it on a scale from one to ten to modify the m3 lip into a rear window spoiler?? Looks very clean, great idea. Yea, that sarona is rediculously expensive. Also, your fucken exhaust looks gangsta as fuck. What exhaust do you have, piping size, type, and what mufflers etc because it looks like your mufflers are perfect and they dont hang low or anything. They look like you had them tucked up in there as much as possible. From what it looks like, i love the way the mufflers are tucked in there, yours dont look like everyone elses that has the magnaflow mufflers. Hit me back ASAP, need to kno.
Thanks
The exhaust is Comptech cat-back with a magnaflow resonator after the cat.

And to answer your other question, I already posted this:

It wasn't that bad...just takes a little time and patience. I used a hacksaw to rough out the profile, then a razor blade to shave it closer, then finally sanded it once I was close enough to the contour of the window molding. It definitely takes a bit of sanding because IT IS rubber, and takes some effort to remove material.
If you know how to use a hacksaw, razor blade, and sandpaper, you can do this. Cut it where I outlined it in the generic pic i posted. Just use common sense...

How the hell did you get your engine bay area so damn clean in that pic above??? its like show room Clean, WTF??? I want mine to look like that. lol
That was when it had 47,000 on it. My bro was detailing it (it wasn't dirty to begin with!) That area needs some attention right about now, Ive been slippin'....haven't cleaned it in a while.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:59 AM
99TL-p 114K

Thanks
The exhaust is Comptech cat-back with a magnaflow resonator after the cat.

And to answer your other question, I already posted this:

If you know how to use a hacksaw, razor blade, and sandpaper, you can do this. Cut it where I outlined it in the generic pic i posted. Just use common sense...

That was when it had 47,000 on it. My bro was detailing it (it wasn't dirty to begin with!) That area needs some attention right about now, Ive been slippin'....haven't cleaned it in a while.
Ok, well if i was going to clean mine up, how would i go about doing that? Any suggestions or whatever would be appreciated. Thanks alot man, did u have the mufflers tucked higher?? Mounted higher up?? Cuz the magnaflow mufflers seem to be too bulky i guess and stick out toooo much and you see the entire damn thing which i hate. Want somethin thats sleek and tucked in a ya kno.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:36 AM
NO BP FUEL IN MY

I'm partial to the Sarona, but the M lip looks very nice on your car. Nice and clean.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Pro

more like homeboy never drives it. stays in the garage 7 days a week haha. they have engine degreaser in a can that works alright i think i used one made by Gunk and it was decent.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by vtlec01
more like homeboy never drives it. stays in the garage 7 days a week haha. they have engine degreaser in a can that works alright i think i used one made by Gunk and it was decent.

LOL....actually, I was driving 4 days out of the week at that time. Notice the stock intake and mesh grill...no OEM body kit.....that was definitely a while ago.

Just be careful if using a hose or pressure washer......stay away from the obvious components that shouldn't get wet (electrical stuff, air intake.....)

Quick Reply: New pics....02 ABP TL-S (new window spoiler)...56K use caution!!