Man hole cover vs. Cusco lower strut bar

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Man hole cover vs. Cusco lower strut bar

Washing the car...

Took it out and down the street to get a quick snack...

Right before turning back into the dealership, kablam.

Pardon the few cell phone pics... My camera was in the car... which was 8ft off the ground...

Normal...

Not normal...

Luckily, I was able to get it onto the lift and get the crap off... doing that on the ground w/ a jack would have been near impossible... Maserati of Baltimore is a life saver. <3 That bolt was on there tight! The impact gun couldn't even get it off.

I scrape all day long, so don't mind that.

Snapped in 1/2 at the welds... and completely mangled the mounting bracket and bent it over the big bolt that keeps the bar on the car. I had to use a mallet to bend the bracket backwards to get access to the bolt.

Cusco was smart in using allen bolts on one side... seeing as how all the rubbing against pavement sort of rounded off the bolt side

I'm debating on whether or not to replace it. Driving around without it on, I honestly can't say I feel a negative difference. I totally felt the gain when I installed this when I only had springs... But w/ coilovers, I didn't feel it at all. On the other hand, the bar protects the downpipe/cat and transmission -- so that's a plus... however, if in protecting that stuff the bar snags even worse and bends the under carriage frame, ick -- don't know if it's worth it at that point...
Old 07-27-2008, 01:21 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Wow bummer shite yikes
OK- so now we look at the facts- that bar saved your cat!!
Better to push over an object/ raise the car over it like a launching ramp- than take a direct hit on a really expensive part- think of it as an 85$ cow catcher-- like on a railroad engine.
If you want to run low there is a price to pay- this is it!
YOu may want to cross dips and bumps with more angles so the car goes over better

Its not stronger than the frame rails as you can tell- so not an issue of- its going to damage my car.....that didnt even require the cutting torch! Worst case- it sacrafices itself!

Send a link to this thread to Marcus at MrHeelToe
He may be able to hook you up a little bit on the price- not much profit on such a reasonably priced part, but try coupon code: acurazinerocks- see if that still works

Yes it does make a big differance!!, especially with the new coilovers-
it locates the lower suspension to itself in relation to space and time by locking the 2 frame rails together- right where a normal car would have a cross member for support- we have an open cradle for the engine -trans unit. SO much better with a crossbar

The car has a stock upper shock tower bar to locate them in relation to each other and the firewall/frame.
Some of us add another bar to that!!

When you turn there are lateral forces applied to the frame which cause it to flex.
The car must react to that before it can transition into the turn- braking- accelleration etc.
Every time~
When you installed the lower bar it reduced that sway and flex- made the car a quick lane change machine! right- remember back then!
You may not feel it around the block- but first time you go to enjoy the car, and it just not as good as it was before---
with the suspension able to move - the alignment changes all the time while in motion....

I think its the first mod everyone should do, and still one of the best for the buck
Old 07-27-2008, 01:53 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, what a coincidence! i just ordered one today
Old 07-27-2008, 02:01 AM
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Wow bummer shite yikes
OK- so now we look at the facts- that bar saved your cat!!
Better to push over an object/ raise the car over it like a launching ramp- than take a direct hit on a really expensive part- think of it as an 85$ cow catcher-- like on a railroad engine.
If you want to run low there is a price to pay- this is it!
YOu may want to cross dips and bumps with more angles so the car goes over better

Its not stronger than the frame rails as you can tell- so not an issue of- its going to damage my car.....that didnt even require the cutting torch! Worst case- it sacrafices itself!

Send a link to this thread to Marcus at MrHeelToe
He may be able to hook you up a little bit on the price- not much profit on such a reasonably priced part, but try coupon code: acurazinerocks- see if that still works

Yes it does make a big differance!!, especially with the new coilovers-
it locates the lower suspension to itself in relation to space and time by locking the 2 frame rails together- right where a normal car would have a cross member for support- we have an open cradle for the engine -trans unit. SO much better with a crossbar

The car has a stock upper shock tower bar to locate them in relation to each other and the firewall/frame.

When you turn there are lateral forces applied to the frame which cause it to flex.
The car must react to that before it can transition into the turn- braking- accelleration etc.
Every time~
When you installed the lower bar it reduced that sway and flex- made the car a quick lane change machine! right- remember back then!
You may not feel it around the block- but first time you go to enjoy the car, and it just not as good as it was before---
with the suspension able to move - the alignment changes all the time while in motion....

I think its the first mod everyone should do, and still one of the best for the buck
Well said.......
Old 07-27-2008, 03:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Raise it an inch? That would greatly reduce the chances of snagging again.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

I suppose.

I have the upper bar as well w/ the OEM bar still in place.

We'll see. Where I really felt an immediate difference initially was when hitting a bump on the highway at speed at an angle. The car felt very solid in the FRONT (The rear still wiggled -- we need rear bracing!!!!!!!!!1) I'm getting the same feeling now going over the same spot. My SS-P's stiffen things up in certain circumstances. In addition, I have a lower profile tire (on a wider wheel) with a stiffer sidewall than when I first had the lower bar in. So the combo of the better tires and coilovers might be enough to counteract the gain of the lower bar alone. This is just my experience and my unscientific testing.

Originally Posted by rob-2
Raise it an inch? That would greatly reduce the chances of snagging again.
I'll get rid of the car before I raise it. I'm not happy with the stance it has now and I hate Acura for designing this car with such a ridiculous amount of wheel gap -- especially in the front. It's part of what gives the 2nd gen TL its bland and generic look.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:54 AM
Team Owner

tires and rims have nothing to do with frame flex- thats what we are working on with the cross bar.
You should see the one for the TSX- 4 mounting points- a big square and such- but not for us- we can only get a plain jane 1 piece unit,,,, but it certainly works

I built and drove race cars - the roll cage is all about mounting the suspension- nice solid stationary point from which things can operate-
BUT
they really need to be stationary.

If 1.3 tanks of gas money is a big deal right now- leave the bar alone.
If $85 isnt going to make you choose between your medicine and the car- order a new one, and when its installed you will feel the differance right away.

This is assuming you are a driver attuned to what the car is doing all the time- plotting the correct line thru corners- know the braking and turn in points to most of the corners from home to normal errands and work...instead of the easy way straight roads home- you find yourself using the back way home--- thru the residential-- as your own autocross course ...

The PillowTops are what give you that solid feel in the steering and shock/road feedback.
To deny 1200 worth of shocks a known good product for a steady work platform.....
Thats my opinion
Old 07-27-2008, 05:58 AM
Team Owner

Let me be clear:
I in NO way meant to imply that anyone here was on any medication ~for any reason~
It was a generic comment such as heard on the news- with gas prices- many people are forced to decide gas or....
Old 07-27-2008, 02:05 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Wow, I bet I'll tear min eoff when I get it too..lol

And your car would look beautiful with an oem rear lip
Old 07-27-2008, 02:19 PM
Drifting

Thumbs up

One question, how did you get your TL in a room full of those exotics? Even out the door more are waiting.....i give you props foresure just by being able to be somewhere like that......and thats right our 2nd GEN TL belongs with the rest of those cars lol.......
Old 07-27-2008, 06:51 PM
W00t

wow man, thats a bummer. Your car looks sick Jason, it has a come a long way. My WW rear would look great on your auto Hope you won a trophy today.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Grippin' Grain

Quattroporte's are my all time fav.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Synthetic Roadrage

Very nice car...don't think I'll be lowering my $hit now due to maryland's crappy roads...
Old 07-28-2008, 01:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Nice..
Old 07-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

not sure but maybe some sway bars will be a good alternative
Old 07-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Wow! Bummer! Well, thing is, when you are low this kinda stuff happens. It sucks when you lower your car 2" and it doesn't even appear low. Some Hondas are this way. 90-93 Integra is another example. Slam it and you are barely getting close to the tires.

This brace is a great performance part, but it clearly is not for everyone. It is hard to enjoy all the looks and performance in one package, which is why the best handling cars are not the lowest, and vice versa.

All that being said, maybe consider this part a disposable one for you. Its not practical for you maybe. Damage to the chassis is definitely possible for a car this low, but it more than possible without it too. Consider the fact that yes the bas has been damaged beyond repair, but if not for that par your actual chassis may have hit the ground causing other potential problems. Thus the plight of the lowrider.

I can't say if I think you should get another one, nor can I say others will or will not have this issue. I do know the part works and if the car is to handle best you'd have one. But if you are just tossing $5 out the window whenever you drive it you have to decide if it is worth it.

Originally Posted by chewi

Sways actually serve a difference function than braces...
Old 07-28-2008, 07:22 PM
SOHC V-TEC

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is that the stock color on the TL very clean car...

Old 07-28-2008, 11:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

I know what it's "supposed" to do... But I'm telling you my experience and what I feel... MYcar handles no worse without the bar. I've driven the same roads at the same speed and it handles the exact same. The only thing that has changed on the car since the first time putting the bar on are coilovers and wheels/tires. This car isn't a race car and I don't treat it as such. It's a big slow mildly attractive boat. No hollowed tubed bar is going to change that. Maybe a 4pt square brace or x-brace like available for TSX's and Civcs would change that...

If Mr. Heeltoe says he has one in stock.. I'll probably pick it up just for spits and giggles.

Originally Posted by chewi
Sways and poly bushings all around were the very next mod on the list.
Originally Posted by SLaMMeD TL
Is that the stock color on the TL very clean car...
Yes, but it's under very very bright white lights... It's actually darker and a richer gold looking in the sunlight.

Rear lip.. yea I know. The WW is gonna be a PITA to get and then paint... and I don't feel like dealing with that now.

I just put the stock wheels back on... and I have this aching feeling the rest of the parts are going to go too.... It's getting boring and isn't worth the time or money to me. :/

Originally Posted by JDM Inspired
One question, how did you get your TL in a room full of those exotics?
Haha, it is kinda cool to say you worked on your car on the same air-powered lift that is used to work on $300k Lamborghinis, Maseratis, and Ferraris. But to answer your question... My car club is friends with the dealership. We put on a show at the dealership on Sunday. On Saturday, we went to talk with them and wash/detail our cars in their washing bays. They are a bunch of super nice people. They treat everyone the same -- Maserati owner or Acura owner. So awesome to experience that. I mean, would your local Mercedes shop let you put your car on the lift? Probably not... I get attitude when I walk into Toyota or Honda dealerships.

Here's the GM using a impact gun to try and get off one of the bolts, haha.

Here are some pics the Guest Services lady took

@ the show

My friend left his bagged truck in the showroom overnight
Old 07-29-2008, 02:49 PM
Ya....It's an Acura

very nice ngm

im liking the wheels too
Old 12-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Just a little warped...

Old 12-01-2008, 07:31 PM
DESI miern

456 gt you lucky/unlucky bustard!!

and the car looks clean enough to eat off of.. nice!
Old 12-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Clemson Tiger

I love pictures of your car, the rims look so good haha jk
Old 12-02-2008, 02:49 AM
Need my Daily Fix of AZ

Nice clean ride.

Can i get a pic of it installed, how low is this bar to the floor?
Old 12-03-2008, 07:40 AM
Drifting

Car looks great.....
Old 12-03-2008, 08:57 AM
bringin lead

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by maxxxboost
Nice clean ride.

Can i get a pic of it installed, how low is this bar to the floor?
Check my photo album for the amount of drop I have, but my bar sits lower than a cigarette pack is wide (if that makes sense).
Old 12-03-2008, 09:20 AM
zaino'd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OT but... some of those cars, I wouldn't want in front of my showroom, regardless of what I sold

Your 2G would be welcome anytime though