LED dashboard conversion progress

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 08:09 PM
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
LED dashboard conversion progress

Been meaning to post pics for a bit but I'm not able to get on here as often nowadays.....
but here they are!
Got some yellow LEDs (waaaaay wrong side, these things were huge! I think they were for the overhead lights haha) that I had to cut the housing down on and then solder to the bulb housing ports. The smaller bulbs I was able to get away with doing DIY LED conversions. I posted a pic of that nonsense in some other thread.
I also got the clock and AC control unit done as well. I need to change the resistor on the clock light later to make it match the AC panel .
You'll notice the fan speed control is a bit scratched up... Got a bit impatient on that part. I'll redo it later!
I've still got my eyes on changing the lights of the head unit to a nice yellow but I've got some actual mechanical issues I want to tackle before going back into aesthetic mods.

Dashboard shot

Clock & AC shot

Last edited by Arkady; 04-02-2018 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Spelling is not my strong suite
The following users liked this post:
pphanfx (09-04-2021)
Old 04-05-2018, 04:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
So resistors really need in some circuits when switch to LED. That look nice.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:12 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Arkady
Been meaning to post pics for a bit but I'm not able to get on here as often nowadays.....
but here they are!
Got some yellow LEDs (waaaaay wrong side, these things were huge! I think they were for the overhead lights haha) that I had to cut the housing down on and then solder to the bulb housing ports. The smaller bulbs I was able to get away with doing DIY LED conversions. I posted a pic of that nonsense in some other thread.
I also got the clock and AC control unit done as well. I need to change the resistor on the clock light later to make it match the AC panel .
You'll notice the fan speed control is a bit scratched up... Got a bit impatient on that part. I'll redo it later!
I've still got my eyes on changing the lights of the head unit to a nice yellow but I've got some actual mechanical issues I want to tackle before going back into aesthetic mods.

Dashboard shot

Clock & AC shot
I love with what you did to the A/C knob 😍 im gonna do red LED’s myself this summer and white on the speedo and tach to give it a Type S feel
Old 04-09-2018, 08:52 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Darksyne

I love with what you did to the A/C knob 😍 im gonna do red LED’s myself this summer and white on the speedo and tach to give it a Type S feel
Thanks! I'm real proud of how that one turned out.
The backside of the panel isn't as nice looking hahaha.... I used a trick I learned as a young kid of using hot glue as a home-made LED diffuser. Whatever works, right?
The LEDS are sunk into the hot glue, and then wired with their resistors and soldered to the ports where the original bulbs went. The little line in the knob actually lights up a bit with the color it's facing towards!
Old 04-09-2018, 12:54 PM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
That looks nice, but super bright!
Old 04-09-2018, 01:20 PM
Pro

Oh yeah, it's pretty bright - unless I'm blinded by it it ain't enough!
Jokes aside, it's very vibrant in the dark but doesn't bother me as the driver at all. I live in the city so there's streetlights everywhere, so the brightness doesn't stand out as much as it does in the pic during driving.