Will this ruin window tint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:32 AM
I'm a thrill seeker in my

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Question Will this ruin window tint?

Hey guys, I'm thinking of having some light tint put on my front too windows to balance off the limo tint I have on the back 5.
My reason for not having it done at the same time as the rest was because I'm unsure if scraping humidity ice buildup on the inside of my window will wreck the tint.
I hope everyone understands what I mean. There are times in the winter where the humidity in my car has frozen on the windows and windshield and I'm forced to use my ice scraper on the inside to get it all off (so I can see).

This would ruin tint would it not?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:08 AM
ABPUA5

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
if you live in that cold of a climate, i suggest getting a remote start and your problems with frozen windows is gone. in jersey it gets cold but never cold enough to freeze on the inside..and remote start made a world of a difference no more sitting on ice cold leather and freezing your ass off!
Old 03-26-2009, 09:16 AM

I have a remote start, but I use it sparingly because I don't like to waste the gas. The frost inside I'm referring to doesn't come off by just "defrosting"...especially because the entire window is covered and the vents really don't reach too far past the front part of the window...I'm not sure what to do.

It doesn't happen often, usually after I wash my car at the indoor spray washes, but when it does happen it's bad.

Maybe I should call the tint place where I got mine done and see what they say. I figured a few of you in the colder climates would maybe know.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:24 AM
spaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow. using an icescraper on the inside of your car.
i can't imagine that being tint friendly.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Instructor

I'm from Vancouver, but lived out in your neck of the woods for a few months a few years back. I know it gets a lot colder out in Edmonton, but I never had, or even hard of having, to scrape ice on the inside of your window.

You might want to have your windshield checked for leaks / proper seal, because the only way I can see ice build up on the inside happening is from water getting on to the inside of your windshield (and I doubt that this will happen from humidity... and I know Edmonton is DRY... at least compared to Vancouver humidity-wise).

I'd recommend finding out and fixing the problem with that ice scraping business before doing any tinting, because scraping on the tint definitely cannot be good for it.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:08 PM

It happened on my old accord too, it's not a problem with the seals. It's actual humid air (from the car wash) or from my own body that is not circulated out after a short trip becoming frozen on the inside of all windows. It's ridiculous that it happens and pisses me off when it does. Imagine scraping the inside of your windshield and having ice flakes all over your dash. Yeah.

Thanks anyway for the responses. I know it's hard to believe, but I'm not making this up haha.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheMegalodon
It happened on my old accord too, it's not a problem with the seals. It's actual humid air (from the car wash) or from my own body that is not circulated out after a short trip becoming frozen on the inside of all windows. It's ridiculous that it happens and pisses me off when it does. Imagine scraping the inside of your windshield and having ice flakes all over your dash. Yeah.

Thanks anyway for the responses. I know it's hard to believe, but I'm not making this up haha.
Water from the car wash shouldn't matter unles you're washing the inside of the car (or with the windows rolled down lol). Sorry, don't mean to be annoying... just it's very odd hehe.

Seriously though, try asking other people.... you can't be the only one having this problem. But you've probably done that.

Damn that's tough man... definitely update us when you figure it out. I'm interested anyway...
Old 03-26-2009, 11:27 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Yes, an ice scraper would damage the tint.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:07 AM

It's not water inside the car haha. It's the humid steam of the hot car wash water that gets into my car as soon as I open the door to get out and in. That alone leaves a nice layer of dew all over my interior. Not even joking, it's ridiculous. I think the only way to prevent it from freezing up on the windows is to go for a longish drive to allow all that humidity/moisture to dry up and clear out. It happens to other people's cars too from what I've noticed, doesn't matter what make or model. If your body is giving off enough humid heat (potentially from getting a little warm from having to scrape off every single bloody window after a heavy frost), it gets inside the car and if you make a short trip it's not cleared out before it freezes.

Essentially it only happens under two circumstances:
1) I go wash my car, make the 2km drive home and park it in the cold
2) I'm throwing off humid body heat, make a short drive (less than 5-15 miles), park in cold

Fuck living in St. Albert/Edmonton. I'm tired of it. I wanna head out to Vancouver.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Instructor

Ohhhhh that would make a bit more sense. Gotcha.

If it's below freezing when you park, there might be nothing you can do about it if you decide to keep washing your car at the same place and/or not cooling down (sweating I assume?) before you get back into your car.

But yea, leave the windows open a touch or more if possible. Might not totally get rid of it, but maybe it'll reduce it..

Ahh, you're from St. Albert. lol move out here. The drive's not TOO long... hehe. Just get ready for the rain!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:25 AM
6MT Someday..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window tint is a plastic film that is placed over the glass surface...yes it will damage it if you use an ice scraper. I accidentally scratched the tint on my old accord with a key..barely grazed it.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've had some ice buildup on my windshield also, first time/only time it happened was this past winter i think in january... i think it was because it was like 15 degrees out and i came straight out of the gym and got in my car and the morning after the ice was there... not very much though