TL AWD conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TL AWD conversion

Being that the TL is similar to a lot of other models made by Honda, could you conceivably take the drivetrain from an AWD car such as an MDX or RL and convert a TL to all-wheel drive? If that doesn't work, any ideas on how to maybe go about doing this? I'll bet it's a great conversion if it can be pulled off
Old 12-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
The only models that have it were designed for awd. Converting the TL could probably be done but it wouldnt be cheap. NO one has even attempted it so no one would know about how to go about doing it
Old 12-18-2006, 01:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
The only models that have it were designed for awd. Converting the TL could probably be done but it wouldnt be cheap. NO one has even attempted it so no one would know about how to go about doing it
Damn... Is that something that would shave as much time as I'm under the impression it would, though? If it is, I might have to look into how I can pull it off
Old 12-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You gotta be kidding.

It would probably be cheaper to buy an RL and put a converted TL body shell around it.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by speedbawlinTL
Damn... Is that something that would shave as much time as I'm under the impression it would, though? If it is, I might have to look into how I can pull it off
Is what something that would shave as much time as your under what impression? I didnt say a thing that would make it easier. ANY THING is possible with enough money. No one has even attempted it so no one would know how. It would probably cost more to do it than you could buy a new RL for. Not worth it if you ask me. There will most likely be heavy body modifications to get it to work as well
Old 12-18-2006, 02:52 PM
Racer

I was just thinking about how cars like the RL, Evo, Audi quattros, etc. have AWD and I was wondering how much it could increase performance? Based on my lack of experience driving AWD performance cars and considering how the TL launches, I'm under the impression that getting all 4 wheels moving from the start could significantly increase how quickly you can launch off the line. That raises other questions, though, such as how much heavier it would make the car and would that sacrifice power, especially at the top end? And then, if that's the case, does the potential acceleration gained through a better launch make up for any loss of power? I'm beginning to realize these questions probably might be left unanswered considering this is all hypothetical, but I'm interested in figuring it out, if possible...
Old 12-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Senior Moderator

the TL isnt really traction limited, and any that it is can be delt with by better tires, so AWD wouldnt help 1 bit there. 2, its a auto, so there again there is no need for it cause you cant launch any harder than the tranny will normally.
Cliff notes: AWD Will NOT help the TL launch harder, as it doesnt have a traction deficit or a manual to launch harder. (dont even think about adding a manual to it as honda doesnt have that setup at all, its all autos)
AWD will add quite a bit of weight. All these AWD systems are computer controlled and there would be a fair amount of electronic work to get to work right.

Like stated above, the cost would be most likely more than a new RL or EVO. and NOT worth it. You wouldnt see any benefits. Now maybe if you built the living daylights out of the motor and turbo'ed it to get some serious power then it may help, but there again, not worth the cost.

Just to give you a idea, Converting to a CL-S manual trans costs around 6k in just parts- NO labor. And thats pretty much a direct bolt in project (ie no fabricating is necessary)
Old 12-18-2006, 03:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
the TL isnt really traction limited, and any that it is can be delt with by better tires, so AWD wouldnt help 1 bit there. 2, its a auto, so there again there is no need for it cause you cant launch any harder than the tranny will normally.
Cliff notes: AWD Will NOT help the TL launch harder, as it doesnt have a traction deficit or a manual to launch harder. (dont even think about adding a manual to it as honda doesnt have that setup at all, its all autos)
AWD will add quite a bit of weight. All these AWD systems are computer controlled and there would be a fair amount of electronic work to get to work right.

Like stated above, the cost would be most likely more than a new RL or EVO. and NOT worth it. You wouldnt see any benefits. Now maybe if you built the living daylights out of the motor and turbo'ed it to get some serious power then it may help, but there again, not worth the cost.

Just to give you a idea, Converting to a CL-S manual trans costs around 6k in just parts- NO labor. And thats pretty much a direct bolt in project (ie no fabricating is necessary)
Ok... thanks... I guess I'll stick to the normal performance mods, then (although your tranny swap is something I definitely want to do later on down the road- good job!)
Old 12-18-2006, 06:15 PM
03' NBP TL-S

why would u want awd. doesn't awd have much more drivetrain loss? on top of our auto tranny, that would be murder.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:22 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Leo Type-S
why would u want awd. doesn't awd have much more drivetrain loss? on top of our auto tranny, that would be murder.
Yes, you lose a little bit through the drivetrain on an AWD than you would on a RWD/FWD car. But it really depends on the car.

I think the STI and EVO only loose like 10% through tranny and 7-8% through drivetrain. Still a hell of a lot better than my TL-S which loses probably close to 25-30% due to the tranny + drive train. I think the CL-S six speeds don't loose nearly as much as the 5 speed autos. Probably closer to 17-20% loss.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Leo Type-S
that's what I was asking about- whether or not there would be major drivetrain loss and whether or not any advantages gained by an AWD conversion would outweigh the effects enough to make it worth it... it's obvious to me now that it isn't with a TL, but I was interested in what it'd be like if it were
Old 12-05-2011, 12:46 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tl-s awd is an awesome idea for the sake of traction on winding and slippery roads. however like u guys mentioned--cost,power loss, and weight gain. oh--and there's also gas mileage loss. i wanted the RL only for the power/sh-awd/features/exteror. the interior isnt so sporty like the tl-s. hopefully we'll get to see some $$$$$ person make this TL-S AWD happen, even if is not SH-AWD or RT-AWD
Old 12-06-2011, 10:18 PM
kill you till you die

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts
Civics and Integras have been converted to AWD many times using the platforms from other Hondas like the 80's AWD civic wagons. If you have the fab skills I'm sure it can be done without burning too big of a hole in the pocket. I hope someone gives it a shot someday. http://www.epictuning.com/4wdcivic.html
Old 12-06-2011, 10:20 PM
kill you till you die

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts
BTW, watch the Stang get crushed in shame.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:32 AM
R2D
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Wow I would like to see this done. Awd Tl hmmmm...the tranny wouldn't last long thou. One or two launches and pow pow there go's the tranny lol