stock intake?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by yeedatoy
So your suggestion is to stop traffic because the modifications done to your vehicle can possibly destroy it? A slammed car with a CAI is all good, I've had a couple, but I'm sure you know how fun it is to drive daily avoiding puddles, potholes, speed bumps, road construction, 100 heat with a/c removed etc. A practical part that adds performance is available for our TL so why not take advantage if you're set on spending $300?

How many people run the $30 Option Racing crank pulley? I know I would run it over a $200 UR pulley and I've owned both OBX and UR and it was the same thing with a different stamp. Actually, I'll order the $20 Vision Motorworks pulley instead and spend that extra $180 on some window tint
but I suppose you'll always face the group that claims it throw off the balance of an internally balanced engine.
If it has the potential to destroy my motor dam right im going to stop. Ill pull as far off to the side so other traffic can go around me.

And no, im not on the side that says it throws off the balance of the motor. Maybe you should do a little searching on every thing i have done and do(soon to be stroker motor in the TL)as i dont give off information falsely or without thought.And I do run the 30 dollar pulley (i have run the UR in past cars) and know our motors are internally balanced as i have a knife edged and lightened 3.5 crank sitting waiting to be installed .
Old 09-26-2011, 07:39 PM
kill you till you die

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts
Well your argument is invalid then, considering you run an Ebay pulley. Is it going to break, is the belt going to sit improperly, is it going to wobble? Probably not, and I'm sure you bought it because others vouched for it and you realized it's essentially the same as a $200 pulley minus the brand name, with the possibility that it may be a 1lb heavier then the UR pulley resulting in a 1whp difference, the same as a cheap intake which is a metal tube with a filter on the end of it just like a $300 intake with an AEM, Injen or Fuji.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by yeedatoy
Well your argument is invalid then, considering you run an Ebay pulley. Is it going to break, is the belt going to sit improperly, is it going to wobble? Probably not, and I'm sure you bought it because others vouched for it and you realized it's essentially the same as a $200 pulley minus the brand name, with the possibility that it may be a 1lb heavier then the UR pulley resulting in a 1whp difference, the same as a cheap intake which is a metal tube with a filter on the end of it just like a $300 intake with an AEM, Injen or Fuji.
Please ol wise one tell me how "My" argument isnt invalid? Where did i say that the "Ebay" (and since when did ebay start making intakes any way?) was going to break, or any thing? I DIDNT so try again! The BIG difference between the "cheap knockoff" intakes is if you have an issue good luck with any customer service. At least with the comptech and the aem "if" bought thru one of our vendors (who i always recommend members buy thru) you get customer service if there is an issue. Good luck with ebay.

Oh and i didnt buy the pulley i have because "others" vouched for it and i realized its essentially the same so next time you decide to express you know what i thought maybe you should think twice
Old 09-27-2011, 05:36 PM
kill you till you die

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts
I understand where you're coming from but I rely on Paypal to handle any Ebay issues I may have if the seller refuses to remedy it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying to go on Ebay a grab the cheapest intake you can find that was crafted by a 4 year old kid in the back for the Nike sweatshop. What I am saying is that any cheap intake with a 3 inch diameter pipe that fits our vehicle is going to give you he same power as a name brand intake such as Injen or AEM....possibly a bit less or possibly a bit more. If the dual chamber design of the AEM produced such a significant amount of power over a regular intake, then we may as well all buy electric supercharger fans and get the same effect. I've been purchasing car parts from Ebay for 10 years and have never had a major fitment issue with ANYTHING. I would not recommend a cheap intake for vehicles with MAF sensors, but for a TL with a simple design it seem like a no-brainer. A $60 OBX intake and a $30 3A filter is all you need.