noob question for 2002 3.2 tl -s "exhaust system"

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 05:48 PM
고고씽

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noob question for 2002 3.2 tl -s "exhaust system"

who makes good exhaust system for 2002 tl-s ??

what is the price?

where can i get them?

thank you!
Old 02-25-2006, 05:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Comptech Cat-back, or axle-back (go cat for additional gains, but don't expect a whole lot from either)

Check the Black Market, you can probably get a cat-back for around $800, and the axle-back for lke $400. Otherwise you can pay through the nose with comptech. Check their website.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:55 PM
Agean Blue Bishes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 02-25-2006, 06:21 PM
Wallace, LA

Originally Posted by demolition_x

That is funny, aw that great.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Im kinda partial to teh sound and looks of the comptech. If you looking for HP improvements look elsewhere
Old 02-26-2006, 04:42 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also have the Comptech axle-back. The only real gain you're going to see is the sound improvement. It's a really low key sound. I love the sound of it in the lower rpms when in cruising mode. It does not sound like the ricer cans. The welds are great. I love the quality of the exhaust. I've had mine for almost a year and I love it. I just wish it made some horses. It gives you an increase of somewhere between 3-5 HP. But that is not proven. I haven't seen a dyno of a stock 2nd gen with just a CT axle-back to guarantee that claim. I think I paid somewhere between $600 and $620 for it. Mine was brand spanking new. Don't remember the exact amount. You can PM member Excelerate (Board Sponsor) to find out prices. He has great deals. The CT axle-back is perfect for the TL. Just don't expect to gain a lot of horses.

Almost forgot.............since you have a TL-S you can go the full catback route. With the CT B-Pipe you'll get better airflow which leads to a sound that is a little bit more throatier and it should also free up some more horses. You can find more info and retail prices at the following link. But PM Excelerate to get the best price.

http://www.comptechusa.com/store/tl.html

Good luck!

P.S. To see other exhaust options go here..........www.autocarparts.com and enter the application info. You'll see the list of exhausts that are available. I don't want to comment on any other exhausts since I've only had personal experience with the Comptech.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm happy with my Apexi Ws2 500-600$, If you got money to burn check out the tannabe catback.....Very nice tips
Old 02-26-2006, 07:01 PM
고고씽

thank you guys.
i have 1 more question.
Tanabe Super Medalion Hyper Spec Catback Exhaust Dual Muffler Acura TL Type-S 1999-2003
OR
Comptech Exhaust -Cat-back, Acura TL Type S.

thank you again.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:08 PM
Wallace, LA

The Tanabe will be louder, that is the main difference.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Racer

I agree with the above poster.

It all depends on how much sound you want generated. I personally think the Tanabe will be too loud. Just not in line with the presence of a TL. The Comptech on the other hand is in line with the look and presence of a TL. Not overly stated but at the same time not underly stated either. I say go for the CT but I'm kind of biased.

Old 02-26-2006, 07:38 PM
Racer

The Tanabe SM Hyper is also a quality piece. I definitely am not saying it's a bad piece. I wish I had personal experience with one.

Make sure you look through Tanabe's website.....

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/exhausts/medalionhyper.asp

Old 02-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Easy Choice Tannabe..........Sound will be the major factor,but tannabe is the top of the line.If I could go back in time I'd get the tannabe,but like I said I'm happy with the Apexi............

Never settle in life if you can................MHO
Old 02-26-2006, 09:50 PM
Wallace, LA

Originally Posted by Phesto
Easy Choice Tannabe..........Sound will be the major factor,but tannabe is the top of the line.If I could go back in time I'd get the tannabe,but like I said I'm happy with the Apexi............

Never settle in life if you can................MHO
So yeah, the Tanabe is louder(it appears to have a 12-14inch resonator as opposed to the 18inch resonator on the Apexi), but what makes it better than the Apexi WS 2? I know the Tanabe is full SUS304 stainless steel where as the Apexi is just SUS304 stainless steel mufflers with titanium-particle paint coated steel cat back piping, yeah that is not as high quality as Tanabe but it is more than sufficient. So, what makes you think Tanabe is better? I'm just wondering, not trying to grill you, I just like to learn.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 02-26-2006, 10:12 PM
Racer

I believe the Tanabe is also lighter than the APEXi. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well I'm going on the fact that it is a full SS set up............I painted the back of my Apexi Black,cause that shade of purple Apexi uses pissed me off everytime I looked under there.........

Also there has to be a reason, why the tannabe is so much more expensive......Plus i only know of 2 members that have it.So its kinda of a unique thing,plus the Tips are so much different it makes it better...My 2cents
Old 02-26-2006, 10:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

In my opionion on a quick glance the apexi and CT almost can look the same.........No way will you mistake a tannabe........

Damn I should hit them up for a Job huh??
Old 02-26-2006, 10:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

So Tlsu, you like Hemmingway.....I once visited his place in Key West.You can still find his famous Six Toed Cats........They have like 60 cats on his property.He was said to have written old Man Of the Sea while living there

Whenever I see your Avatar I think of that Trip..........
Old 02-26-2006, 10:32 PM
Wallace, LA

Well I'm going on the fact that it is a full SS set up............I painted the back of my Apexi Black,cause that shade of purple Apexi uses pissed me off everytime I looked under there.........

Also there has to be a reason, why the tannabe is so much more expensive......Plus i only know of 2 members that have it.So its kinda of a unique thing,plus the Tips are so much different it makes it better...My 2cents
I didn't know Apexi used purple? Damn that is ghey. I have to say I don't agree that just because Tanabe is more expensive it must be better, that's a logical fallacy. Tanabe uses almost 4inch(100mm) straight cut single wall tips, where as Apexi WS uses 100mm double wall slant cut tips that appear oval from some angels. Note Tanabe's cat back piping varies from 50-60mm, where as Apexi exclusivly uses 60mm, which would increase Apexi's top end hp, but may in turn create head pressure if your car is sans headers.

Yeah, I read all of his stuff. That must have been an awesome trip
Old 02-26-2006, 10:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TLsu
I didn't know Apexi used purple? Damn that is ghey. I have to say I don't agree that just because Tanabe is more expensive it must be better, that's a logical fallacy. Tanabe uses almost 4inch(100mm) straight cut single wall tips, where as Apexi WS uses 100mm double wall slant cut tips that appear oval from some angels. Note Tanabe's cat back piping varies from 50-60mm, where as Apexi exclusivly uses 60mm, which would increase Apexi's top end hp, but may in turn create head pressure if your car is sans headers.

Yeah, I read all of his stuff. That must have been an awesome trip
Well you bring info to back up your points thats good...........If the Apexi is better then Im happy either way.............We need to start a new thread where people who have each system can write what they like and dont like about thier exhaust(Apexi,CT,Tannabe,Magnaflow) Finding out which one is "better" is going to be in the eye of the beholder......
Old 02-26-2006, 10:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Oh yeah its a real light shade of purple,gray------Very Ugly

Anyone else with Apexi notice this,maybe we can post pics of what You did about it........I'll get under there one day and post pics of my ypipe painted black
Old 02-26-2006, 11:16 PM
고고씽

i dun like louder so... should i go for CT??
when i checked the website, Ct was 980+tax
and tanabe was 790+tax..
Old 02-26-2006, 11:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Nice, well think about those Thermablock spacers you can now buy with the diffrence.............Also know you'll have a different exhaust then the CT alot of other poeple have

Remember why you Mod your car in the first place...............think about it true tossup
Old 02-26-2006, 11:43 PM
Wallace, LA

Well you bring info to back up your points thats good...........If the Apexi is better then Im happy either way.............We need to start a new thread where people who have each system can write what they like and dont like about thier exhaust(Apexi,CT,Tannabe,Magnaflow) Finding out which one is "better" is going to be in the eye of the beholder......

Agree. I'm not saying Apexi is better than Tanabe, I'm just trying to learn. It seems to me Apexi has a better design but Tanabe was constructed with more precision and care.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TLsu
Agree. I'm not saying Apexi is better than Tanabe, I'm just trying to learn. It seems to me Apexi has a better design but Tanabe was constructed with more precision and care.
Yeah if the Apexi had SS through the whole piping,my eyes would never wander and I would never ask any what if's.........

Like If Only, "I started a thread like this before I bought my Apexi"

Sorry Bout my sourgrapes I'll stop now
Old 02-27-2006, 12:12 AM
고고씽

hm.. what if i want something nice but not to loud exhaust??some says ws2 sounds like g35..
so....
WS2 catback exhaust?
Tanabe?
or Comptech Cat-back?

thank you guys!
Old 02-27-2006, 12:25 AM
Wallace, LA

Based off what I have read and heard I would rate from quietest to loudest

1-Comptech
2-Custom Magnaflow Catback(mufflers, resonator, and Y-pipe) with a 22inch resonator
3-Apexi WS II
4-Custom Magnaflow Catback with an 18inch resonator
5-Neuspeed
6-Tanabe
7-Custom Magnaflow Catback with a 14inch resonator

As far as quality goes...
1-Comptech
2-Tanabe
3-Neuspeed
3-Apexi WS II
4-Any Magnaflow set up

As far as functional design it really doesn't matter as their is minimal gains to be had from exhaust to begin with from the second generation TL.

And as far as style, that is subjective.

I would make my decision based on sound and aesthetics. All the set ups are of respectable quality, and I personally think a full SS catback system while impressive, is unnecessarry. With the Magnaflow setup, just high temp. bbq paint the catback piping.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

nice post,good info

lets lock this thread now Mods
Old 03-02-2006, 02:12 AM
08 WDP TL-S

nice post,good info

lets lock this thread now Mods
get Tanabe's Catback like mine man......
Old 03-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Wallace, LA

Originally Posted by Bread-A Spec

Why? What do you like about them? What do you not like about them? What are your impressions of the system? You honestly think he is going to buy them just because you are Bread-A Spec? Can we get an informative post?
Old 03-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Back in a Type S

I've checked out the Tanabe exhaust. I don't really like the tips. They are a little too big and they are not rolled. It doesn't match the personality of our cars IMO. I like the stock look of a car. Many people have said that the Tanabe is way too loud. I like loud when I had my Mustang. It just doesn't fit the whole TL personality to me, but I wouldn't knock anyone who wants to mod their cars. That's what we are all here for right!

On that note...I'm putting in the Unorthodox S pulley this weekend and I just ordered my Comptech exhaust from Excelarate. I should be getting that sometime next week and installing it! WOOHOO! DC headers are next...
Old 03-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bread-A Spec
hahaha it was you that made me want them...........if I go broke I think i'll have to blame you lol
Old 03-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think the DC headers are next for me though,Sick of Megan
Old 03-02-2006, 01:12 PM
Wallace, LA

Originally Posted by ProvidenceLeaf
I've checked out the Tanabe exhaust. I don't really like the tips. They are a little too big and they are not rolled. It doesn't match the personality of our cars IMO. I like the stock look of a car. Many people have said that the Tanabe is way too loud. I like loud when I had my Mustang. It just doesn't fit the whole TL personality
I agree, the tips are four inches, flat cut, and as you said they are not rolled. I don't like this look. Because they are not rolled it makes the diameter of the tip look that much bigger. Had they been rolled it would make the tip appear more sturdy and appear less wide (see the Apexi WS II). Tanabe did not double wall/roll their tips and used less dense packing in the resonator/smaller size resonator size (which explains why the set up is so loud) to make the exhaust more functional. The Tanabe system weighs 30% less than the OEM exhaust system. However, I rather form over function in this case, as they exhaust gains are minimal as is.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Back in a Type S

I think the DC headers are next for me though,Sick of Megan

Me too! Comptech exhaust this week...DC headers in a couple of weeks!
Old 03-06-2006, 05:12 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TLsu, as far as quality goes, I would agree the Comptech is>all, but the apexi is right up there as well, not just saying that because that is what I have, but I have compared them, side by side, very good quality, nearly equals, although I like the apexi sound better. Plus the Apexi WSII has held up excellent in the salt infested winter roads of Wisconsin, for the 1.5 winters I have had it on
Old 03-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Wallace, LA

Originally Posted by 2003TL-S
TLsu, as far as quality goes, I would agree the Comptech is>all, but the apexi is right up there as well, not just saying that because that is what I have, but I have compared them, side by side, very good quality, nearly equals, although I like the apexi sound better. Plus the Apexi WSII has held up excellent in the salt infested winter roads of Wisconsin, for the 1.5 winters I have had it on
No doubt Apexi has a quality product, but the fact is Tanabe and Neuspeed are full SS set ups, thus earning them the nod in quality. Apexi uses mild steel coated with a special paint to prevent it from rusting, more than sufficient, but technically not as nice as a full SS setup. A full SS setup is excessive in my opinion
Old 03-06-2006, 08:50 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^ Gotcha I see why you rated them where you did now and I agree with that.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:51 AM
Racer

Does the Tanabe Super Medalion Hyper Spec fit on a '99 TL non type S ??
Old 08-05-2006, 11:20 AM
Cruisin'

Ugh.. seems to me like the Comptech sounds like a stock exhaust on a G35 or something. I dont see why you'd invest the money into an almost stock-sounding-exhaust, with hardly any gains. Then again that's just me, exhausts on these cars just sounds good IMHO.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:45 PM
W00t

Here are some sound clips for reference. I think these are tanabe's with no resonator
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8vxp5K4ZOA

I had a apexi WS2 on my accord when I had it, and the piping isnt all stainless steel and after a few months, some spots began to show signs of rust. I couldnt imagine having that setup for a few winters.. But it was an amazing sounding exhaust, probably one of the best I ever heard for the accord.

That being said, on my TL, I have a AV6 Accord Magnaflow catback. All it needed was a 2 inch extension to the cat. Here is what it sounds like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLD-6WGqRww

Quick Reply: noob question for 2002 3.2 tl -s "exhaust system"