Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 03:50 PM
2003 TL-S w/Navi NBP

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't forget about stickers - cheap and easy mod worth at least 5hp each
Old 03-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been through your route and it's a steep one man. I'm easily over 10k in parts and in the mid-high 300 areas. There are a lot of problems and hassle that will occur when modding a car with little to no support, but I'm 20 just like you and I'm pretty much done with this car. However, if I could turn back time and save all the money I did. I'd probably get myself a car with more potential.

But here is a realistic view of how much shit actually cost and what you really need to do for a good FI build.

prices listed under does not include labor cost.

Supercharger (intake included with cteng) (40hp) $4200
Exhaust (5-8hp?) $800-$1000
Spacers (5hp?) $100
Headers (20ish hp) CT $1000ish, others cheaper.

Shit, now we're going too fast... we need some stability.
Eibach Swaybars $375
Big Brakes (almost a required) $1400

Now for FI builds, that's pretty much all you need for "now", but we're still not at 320whp yet.

High boost pulley (8psi or custom 10psi) $100
Shit we need bigger injectors $300-$650
AFr gauge to be safe $200 (Boost optional $100)
Emanage or aem fic w/ harness $400 - $550
Tuner $300 - $500 depends.

we're finally at 320ish hp! oh snap... the transmission just died (mine did, a late model 03 tl type s) what fustration and I thought this could never happen to me!

6 Speed tranny with all linkage $2200-$3000 about (CL trannys are expensive but they have the least problems)
Richie v6 module - $500

And with this type of power my brand spankin new OEM clutch died quite quickly so....
Clutchmasters Stage 3 Clutch w/ flywheel $1050-$1150

And then you have your exterior mods if you care about that, wheels, tints, lights, springs... etc.

I dynomax'd with ct SC, ct Headers, tanabe Exhaust, auto tranny in the 290 area, that extra 30-70hp is a bitch to obtain. I'm trying to break 400whp but it doesn't look like it. Not with SC, now i'm gathering information in trying to fab myself a turbo kit or save my money and buy a less aggressive daily.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamType-S
Whatever you do, do NOT take any modification advice from FlacoJ. His pvc pipes, crappy welds and cockeyed optimism are not going to get you to the checkered flag any quicker.

I also just found out that he used to work for Honda and designed the original 2nd gen transmissions.
don't hate, why must I be attacked if I wasn't a threat, to the mundane consumer's way of life. If your too ignorant, to be an innovator at the price of being heckled by the pointless nay sayers, change your oil and anitfreeze. Step 2 recylce them into a smoothie and consume, the world is better off without you.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Word

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok yes it is a lot of money im starting to see that this car does not have that much potential so how about i drop my standard a bit how about i just want enought power so i can feel a bit of difference with the acceleration without having everything blow up like i stated early in this thread the car seems to struggle around 160KM/H i would like the car to get a bit more juice until 180-200KM/H it doesnt need to be a remarkable difference but enough to notice what would you do

this is directed straight to REJCKT

please let me know if the supercharger and those things are worth it or if you would do something different ? Your help is appreciated
Old 03-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by FlacoJ
don't hate, why must I be attacked if I wasn't a threat, to the mundane consumer's way of life. If your too ignorant, to be an innovator at the price of being heckled by the pointless nay sayers, change your oil and anitfreeze. Step 2 recylce them into a smoothie and consume, the world is better off without you.

FlacoJ you're one odd duck. I like you!
Old 03-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by OBrechkin
Ok yes it is a lot of money im starting to see that this car does not have that much potential so how about i drop my standard a bit how about i just want enought power so i can feel a bit of difference with the acceleration without having everything blow up like i stated early in this thread the car seems to struggle around 160KM/H i would like the car to get a bit more juice until 180-200KM/H it doesnt need to be a remarkable difference but enough to notice what would you do

this is directed straight to REJCKT

please let me know if the supercharger and those things are worth it or if you would do something different ? Your help is appreciated
Honestly. If you aim a bit lower towards 300whp. That extra 50hp will kill you because of the "potential". Once you s/c, it's a matter of time before you need this and that. Just like how your going to need better brakes with added power, which will do more wear to tires and what not costing more money.

However, an easy route.
Supercharger + GOOD Headers... call it a day. around 280-300hp with types
Even with the SC you struggle once you hit 120-130 MPH which is roughly 200kph?

Once you hit 140, it takes forever to get up to 155...

Your torque will increase dramatically from just the s/c alone, but the high end just isn't that awesome to be honest.

If you check the other FI builds like rajca's build. It takes time, not a small amount either. There are a lot of people that join our forums seeing some of our builds, and not realizing that it didn't happen over night.

Hint: Custom turbo setup cost less than CT-engineering's SC
so do your research, your power to money ratio and it'll be gravy.
Regardless, be careful with your tranny. S/c installed at 25k tranny died at 55k car now at 6?k with my 6speed. Clutch dead since month 2 (OEMacura).
Still cruising on a dead clutch cause I don't want to spend $1200 on a clutch.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by AdamType-S
FlacoJ you're one odd duck. I like you!
FlacoJ's the shit. Mofo has to be bored at work to be making shit for his car. Honestly, an intake is an intake. When you drive your hood is closed, if you goto a car show with that... then he's retarded. As for his rear brace bars, wasting time for little or no gains, but he's not hurting anyone.

Go make some turbo manifolds and everyone will be kissing ur ass. I honestly can't justify $200-$300 bucks for a stupid intake. Fsttyms1 made his own intake as well, as did I and im sure many others too.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:45 AM
Advanced

To be honest, I don't see the point in putting at that money into the car. Money/performance ratio is just not that great. I say either keep the car how it is or sell it and buy a better platform.

For instance, my IS300. 210hp 218tq out of the factory and about 175whp stock. After my Custom magnaflow exhaust($500), Headers and Ypipe($600), and intake($100), and a tune (free), after all of that I dyno'd the car again and made 205whp and 210wtq. That's putting only $1200 into the car. For another 3k-5k, I can boost my car and run at 7-8psi I will then make at least 365whp.
2JZ ftw

Long story short, I don't think the TL is worth putting money into it if you're trying to make it a " race car "
Old 03-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Rejckt
However, an easy route.
Supercharger + GOOD Headers... call it a day. around 280-300hp with types
Even with the SC you struggle once you hit 120-130 MPH which is roughly 200kph?

Once you hit 140, it takes forever to get up to 155...

Not for me.
With the 6 speed i can hit the top speed limiter(150) from 80 mph in just over 1 mile.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
What are you smoking? Headers are the largest power makers for our car this side of FI and DO make a difference. You dont need FI to have those mods be a worthy investment.
I figured they're mostly breather mods, and they do a lot more if you've got other modifications, i.e. FI.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AMAN1
I figured they're mostly breather mods, and they do a lot more if you've got other modifications, i.e. FI.
All an engine is is a giant air pump. The more you can do to get air in and out the more your going to make. H/I/P make big differences.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Word

really is300 well then haha no i'm not going to try to make it a race car i just want to give it more juice without killing it thats all i think im going to the all the little mods right now intake headers pulleys maybe exaust system il check how it feels on the road and then il think about the S/C its all feel for me i want my car to shove me in my seat a bit more when i step on it ya know haha
Old 03-21-2010, 04:50 PM
philly flickin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
IS300's are slow
Old 03-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rejckt
FlacoJ's the shit. Mofo has to be bored at work to be making shit for his car. Honestly, an intake is an intake. When you drive your hood is closed, if you goto a car show with that... then he's retarded. As for his rear brace bars, wasting time for little or no gains, but he's not hurting anyone.

Go make some turbo manifolds and everyone will be kissing ur ass. I honestly can't justify $200-$300 bucks for a stupid intake. Fsttyms1 made his own intake as well, as did I and im sure many others too.
T-SHirt's with unique slogans will be my next endevor, they will be affordable from the start... If your worried that they won't be pretty, don't be.. I am colaborating with a print screen major for my designs, I'll take care of the solgans that will make me a grillionare, but b4 I get there, i need learn how to make a website, i can barely post pics of my work on acurazine, and thats supposedly user freindly, maybe ill make Jdm acurazine shirts , u never kno, infact I just thought of a good one
Old 03-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jaMezBOI
IS300's are slow
they sound great with a turbo
Old 03-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Pro

Not for me.
With the 6 speed i can hit the top speed limiter(150) from 80 mph in just over 1 mile.
6Speed is a completly different story and I couldn't agree with you more. But we are talking about auto + sc which I believe is slower than the 6 speed swap with no FI.

Best bang for buck has to be headers or 6 speed.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by FlacoJ
T-SHirt's with unique slogans will be my next endevor, they will be affordable from the start... If your worried that they won't be pretty, don't be.. I am colaborating with a print screen major for my designs, I'll take care of the solgans that will make me a grillionare, but b4 I get there, i need learn how to make a website, i can barely post pics of my work on acurazine, and thats supposedly user freindly, maybe ill make Jdm acurazine shirts , u never kno, infact I just thought of a good one
To make JDM (japanese domestic market) tee shirts. You'd have to be in japan
Old 03-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Word

lol well you know what im doing all the little things first headers intake air flow filter pulleys and then if my tranny blows il swap for a 6 speed then f***** give er haha with the S/C oh ya lol
Old 03-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Word

any good idea for a good set of headers for this car 03 tls which company makes the best ones in your opinion? and Cold air intake ?
Old 03-21-2010, 08:52 PM
13.2@106mph G37 RWD Sedan

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
comptech makes the best headers that give the most gain and for intake with most gain either get the comptech icebox or p2r custom 4 inch intake www.powerrevracing.com
Old 03-21-2010, 09:40 PM
Advanced

IS300's are slow
TL's are heavy and wrong wheel drive.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by theasianeffect
TL's are heavy and wrong wheel drive.
And the TL can still woop up on the IS on a road course. Been there done that, Old and New.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:30 PM
Advanced

And the TL can still woop up on the IS on a road course. Been there done that, Old and New.
If by road course you mean a actual track ( not the 1/4 strip ) the 2G TL does not handle ANYTHING like my IS300. Even with springs, my IS still with stock suspension handles WAY better than the TL. On the straight, yes the TL will keep up with my IS if not slowly creep away.

Don't get me wrong, the TL is a great car and I'm really impressed for being a big toyota/lexus fan. My intentions were to just keep this car as a winter better, but it's growing on me, but in the long run my IS is A LOT more fun to drive. Let alone has more potential than the 2G TL will ever have.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Advanced

I don't want to start any arguments or saying this is better than that. I was just giving a example that the power/money ratio is not that great for these cars.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:49 AM
Senior Moderator

If by road course you mean a actual track ( not the 1/4 strip ) the 2G TL does not handle ANYTHING like my IS300. Even with springs, my IS still with stock suspension handles WAY better than the TL. On the straight, yes the TL will keep up with my IS if not slowly creep away.

Don't get me wrong, the TL is a great car and I'm really impressed for being a big toyota/lexus fan. My intentions were to just keep this car as a winter better, but it's growing on me, but in the long run my IS is A LOT more fun to drive. Let alone has more potential than the 2G TL will ever have.
Yes, a road corse type track, NOT 1/4 mile
One needs to learn to drive FWD differently and you would understand that it does handle good. I havent found a IS in stock or suspension modded that i havent been able to walk away from thru the corners (and that was with my old suspension, now that i actually have good suspension it will be even more of a slaughter.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:26 AM
philly flickin'

Let alone has more potential than the 2G TL will ever have.
The TL handles 100times nicer than any IS300. IS300's are slow period. I used to walk car lengths on IS300's, stock...
Old 03-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Advanced

The TL handles 100times nicer than any IS300. IS300's are slow period. I used to walk car lengths on IS300's, stock...
You drive a TL-S buddy. SURE you're going to walk away from the IS stock. I'm comparing my TLP to my IS. If you count major body roll as good handling..To each his own. I highly doubt you ever drove a IS to begin with. The IS and TL are two different worlds to me. I can back that statement up because I own both.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:22 PM
philly flickin'

You drive a TL-S buddy. SURE you're going to walk away from the IS stock.
hence the reason I said they are slow

I'm comparing my TLP to my IS. If you count major body roll as good handling..To each his own. I highly doubt you ever drove a IS to begin with. The IS and TL are two different worlds to me. I can back that statement up because I own both.
read this again since you missed it the first time.

One needs to learn to drive FWD differently and you would understand that it does handle good. I havent found a IS in stock or suspension modded that i havent been able to walk away from thru the corners (and that was with my old suspension, now that i actually have good suspension it will be even more of a slaughter.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Word

Ya getting a Injen Cold air intake comtech headers and unorthodox racing pulleys and going to remove that air resonator from that other guy who posted how to do it on the other tread (kindof sketched out about that) not sure if it is bad for it anyone can reasure me ?
Old 03-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Word

Just posting this for anyone who knows where i can get a 03 tls spec a body kit looked everywhere as of right now i can only get the front bumper from acura thats it

anyone has any ideas
Old 03-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by OBrechkin
Ya getting a Injen Cold air intake comtech headers and unorthodox racing pulleys and going to remove that air resonator from that other guy who posted how to do it on the other tread (kindof sketched out about that) not sure if it is bad for it anyone can reasure me ?
1) when you install your injen intake, you will remove the air resonator...
2) when you get lightweight pulleys, you will get less boost after fi, and not be able to run a lightweight flywheel after 6mt swap.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

All an engine is is a giant air pump. The more you can do to get air in and out the more your going to make. H/I/P make big differences.
I know that, I meant to say you get much bigger gains when you get into FI. If you switched say, headers on a stock engine you might see ~20 hp increase, if you were running boost you might free up twice that. These are only guesses, don't take them as actual numbers.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Senior Moderator

You drive a TL-S buddy. SURE you're going to walk away from the IS stock. I'm comparing my TLP to my IS. If you count major body roll as good handling..To each his own. I highly doubt you ever drove a IS to begin with. The IS and TL are two different worlds to me. I can back that statement up because I own both.
Last time i ran at the track with stock suspension against a stock IS i still manhandled him. He had every bit as much roll as my car did (and the TL-S pretty much has the exact same suspension as the TL-P)
Old 03-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Advanced

Last time i ran at the track with stock suspension against a stock IS i still manhandled him. He had every bit as much roll as my car did (and the TL-S pretty much has the exact same suspension as the TL-P)
lol alright man, I don't want no more argument going on. Like my original post, I never said TL SUCKS or in any that way. I Just compared my cars together, not anyone else's. From personal experience, the TL has a lot more body roll than my IS had.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Pro

get better tires...
Old 03-23-2010, 07:24 AM
Senior Moderator

lol alright man, I don't want no more argument going on. Like my original post, I never said TL SUCKS or in any that way. I Just compared my cars together, not anyone else's. From personal experience, the TL has a lot more body roll than my IS had.
Less body roll doesnt mean its handling better
Old 03-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

^ Sounds like a case of just being a superior driver.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AMAN1
^ Sounds like a case of just being a superior driver.
There is that too, but the TL is by no means a bad handling car, but the IS i was racing with had every bit as much roll as i did.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:50 PM
Word

Are you talking about HP to the crank OR to the wheels? what are these numbers based on?

I dyno'd 225whp/194wtq w/ comptech headers, XLR8 hfc, apexi catback, UR lightweight pulley, aem cai, MDX IM spacer, and p2r thermal gaskets. Valve timing was off but you do the math.
Where did you get the UR lighweight pulleys ive been looking for a place to get those and we all tell me they are discontinued for our cars ??? i found a website where they ship it in but im not even sure they have them anymore either

http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/Mer...&Category_Code=

lol crossed fingers

the only thing holding me from moding my car are those pulleys
Old 03-23-2010, 11:59 PM
13.2@106mph G37 RWD Sedan

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
UR doesnt make them anymore for our car but you can still get them from here:

http://store.excelerateperformance.c...s/g-60473.aspx

Quick Reply: Modification For More Horsepower