Just installed Secret Weapon-R intake...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 10:53 PM
Back in a Type S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just installed Secret Weapon-R intake...

I tried to search all the threads so please don't send me one of those "DO A SEARCH!" (I know better) Anyway, I installed my intake today. As soon as I started my car there is a loud continuous hum. Is this because the Weapon-R intake is an SRI? I read somewhere that you do not hear that hum at idle when you have a CAI. Is that true? I must admit that it sounds fantastic when you open it up, but the hum at low RPMs is REALLY loud. Borderline annoying! Anyone else have this same experience with the Secret Weapon-R intake or any other SRI?
Old 02-02-2006, 10:55 PM
slobalt defender

Received 348 Likes on 185 Posts
SRI's always do that.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Agean Blue Bishes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats how they all are.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:36 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
any aftermarket intake except for the Comptech Icebox does that.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:00 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
my AEM V2 did that - and that is the only reason why I got rid of it. I always asked on here if people with regular CAIs had that issue, and I never got good answers...so I guess really all aftermarket intakes with exposed filters make that noise.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Its not t thing of intakes its a resonance that our engine has that cuases it. Thats part of the reason our cars have resonators. SRI's will be the loudest with the hum while the icebox the quietest
Old 02-03-2006, 08:55 AM
Back in a Type S

Thanks. I now understand that all SRI will have this issue. So would the hum be less of a factor if I had installed a CAI like an AEM or INJEN? If so do either of those make less of a hum than the other? Don't get me wrong...I love the sound when I'm driving. Anyone with personal experience AEM or INJEN CAI with this issue? Does ANYONE have experience with the Secret Weapon-R that I have in my car? Sorry, I know this topic has been beaten to death.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:28 AM
運転することを愛

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Its not t thing of intakes its a resonance that our engine has that cuases it. Thats part of the reason our cars have resonators. SRI's will be the loudest with the hum while the icebox the quietest

When I removed my resonator I received a louder hum in the engine that can be clearly heard. Adding a CAI will cause the same thing to happen. It's a by-product of the greater intake of air into the engine. This goes along with the momentarily loud suction noise upon turning off the ignition.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Pro

FYI.. For you type-s owners with the CT Icebox. If you remove the resonator under the tube that connects to the TB and the filter box, and cover it up with a plastic cap, you will experience the same hum effect they are speaking of... the sound at WOT will be awesome, but the drone at low rpm's or idle is heavy.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:48 AM
運転することを愛

Originally Posted by El pana/TL32
FYI.. For you type-s owners with the CT Icebox. If you remove the resonator under the tube that connects to the TB and the filter box....

Under the throttle body? I think you mean under the filter.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:59 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Acuracy02
Under the throttle body? I think you mean under the filter.
No, I mean the tube that connects between the TB and the airbox. The tube to which you connect your air hoses. On the Type-s icebox model, this tube has a resonator on it. TL-P models don't.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Intermediate

i dunno..i got an AEM SRI and I dont get a humm at idle...the only thing I hear is when I shut off the car is the sucking noise and of course the roar at vtec...but the noise is meant to be there i mean it is an aftermarket intake
Old 02-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Comptech Freak

that's how the so called Secret Weapon performs~
Old 02-03-2006, 04:24 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Originally Posted by El pana/TL32
No, I mean the tube that connects between the TB and the airbox. The tube to which you connect your air hoses. On the Type-s icebox model, this tube has a resonator on it. TL-P models don't.
It's actually on both the TL-P and the TL-S... it is for condensation. So if any vapour or condensation gathers in the intake tube it will gather there and evaporate instead of gettign pulled into the engine.

There is a Air Box Resinator below the air filter box in the car, both the TL-P and the TL-S. The car is designed to pull air from the engine bay area (front left of the battery) down through a plastic tube into the air box resinator (located behind the fog light- under the front drivers head light). The the air travels from the resinator, through a plastic tube into the bottom of the air filter box, then from the air filter box into the tube that connects it into the engine at the throttle body.

There are three differences between the two stock intakes, the Type-S intake has an "H" shaped pipe between the air resinator and the air box, instead of two seperate 2.5" plastic tubes (like the TL-P), the type-s uses this "H" to allow air to bypass the air resinator and flow directly into the air filter from the inlet in the engine bay. The TL-P has no "H" making all the air flow through the resinator, thus creating more a more restricted air flow.

Difference #2, The TL-P air resinator is about the size of a big shoe box... There is a 2.5 inch inlet and outlet for this resinator, but when you looked into the inlet you saw the 2.5 inch tube break up into three or four little 1" tubes and you see the same inte the outlet. Giving the impression the air has to break up into these smaller hoses and then join together again, this seriously restricts the power and air flowing through this resinator, but that's what it is designed to do.
The type-s resinator is much smaller and is simply a hollow box with the two inlet and outlet holes. Nothing intresting about the interoir to restrict the air flow.

Difference #3, The TB (throttlebody) location on either engine is different the TL-P's (99 for sure) TB is further from the side of the engine bay, making the two air inlet hoses connect to the intake hoses at diffferent positions. Both cars has the two air hoses connected close to the TB, but with the type-S the TB is closer to the side of the car making the air inlet locations closer to the side of the car aswell. hence why a TL-P CAI intake cannot be cut short to fit the type-s, to cut off the appropriate ammount of pipe you would be forced to cut off both of the air inlet tubes.

now that that should be clear..

The droaning hum sound is the sound of the air flowing into the engine, the only reason it is that loud is because it is close to your ears. The only reason the CAI is quieter is simply because is moves that same exact sound further away from your ears.. hence is it quieter. If you wanted to "fix" your Weapon SRI intake, simply go to the local homedepot, buy a ten foot legnth of PVC pipe, in the size you need (2.5 inch should be good). Then cut a couple of feet off the pipe, use a rubber coupling to hold the PVC onto the SRI and then attach teh filter to the PVC. It will be light enough that you shouldn't worry about having to mount it, as long as you have proper pipe clamps.The weight should be negligible.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
It's actually on both the TL-P and the TL-S... it is for condensation. So if any vapour or condensation gathers in the intake tube it will gather there and evaporate instead of gettign pulled into the engine.

There is a Air Box Resinator below the air filter box in the car, both the TL-P and the TL-S. The car is designed to pull air from the engine bay area (front left of the battery) down through a plastic tube into the air box resinator (located behind the fog light- under the front drivers head light). The the air travels from the resinator, through a plastic tube into the bottom of the air filter box, then from the air filter box into the tube that connects it into the engine at the throttle body.

There are three differences between the two stock intakes, the Type-S intake has an "H" shaped pipe between the air resinator and the air box, instead of two seperate 2.5" plastic tubes (like the TL-P), the type-s uses this "H" to allow air to bypass the air resinator and flow directly into the air filter from the inlet in the engine bay. The TL-P has no "H" making all the air flow through the resinator, thus creating more a more restricted air flow.

Difference #2, The TL-P air resinator is about the size of a big shoe box... There is a 2.5 inch inlet and outlet for this resinator, but when you looked into the inlet you saw the 2.5 inch tube break up into three or four little 1" tubes and you see the same inte the outlet. Giving the impression the air has to break up into these smaller hoses and then join together again, this seriously restricts the power and air flowing through this resinator, but that's what it is designed to do.
The type-s resinator is much smaller and is simply a hollow box with the two inlet and outlet holes. Nothing intresting about the interoir to restrict the air flow.

Difference #3, The TB (throttlebody) location on either engine is different the TL-P's (99 for sure) TB is further from the side of the engine bay, making the two air inlet hoses connect to the intake hoses at diffferent positions. Both cars has the two air hoses connected close to the TB, but with the type-S the TB is closer to the side of the car making the air inlet locations closer to the side of the car aswell. hence why a TL-P CAI intake cannot be cut short to fit the type-s, to cut off the appropriate ammount of pipe you would be forced to cut off both of the air inlet tubes.

The droaning hum sound is the sound of the air flowing into the engine, the only reason it is that loud is because it is close to your ears. The only reason the CAI is quieter is simply because is moves that same exact sound further away from your ears.. hence is it quieter. If you wanted to "fix" your Weapon SRI intake, simply go to the local homedepot, buy a ten foot legnth of PVC pipe, in the size you need (2.5 inch should be good). Then cut a couple of feet off the pipe, use a rubber coupling to hold the PVC onto the SRI and then attach teh filter to the PVC. It will be light enough that you shouldn't worry about having to mount it, as long as you have proper pipe clamps.The weight should be negligible.
Residual, I agree with your statements in regards to the "stock" set up. However the CT Icebox for the TL-P and the TL-S are diffrent in many ways, but specifially to my answer above, the "resonator" that the TL-S Icebox has, in comparisson with the lack of this resonator on the TL-P CT Icebox model.

And the reason or one of the reasons for this resonator is to eliminate the drone/hum the TL-S icebox produces if the resonator is remove. Again, I have both cars with the same set up, and just yesterday I removed the resonator from my tl-s icebox, and the drone/hum was loud. I put it back and it was all quiet again. When it comes to this particular comparisson I'm 100% positive since I tested it side by side in my garage on both cars.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Pro

Before I hit the streets... I took some snap shots to further explain my point.

TL-P Comptech Icebox (No resonator)

TL-S Comptech Icebox (With resonator) Makes it quieter than the TL-P w/Icebox

Hope this helps!
Old 02-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Back in a Type S

So does anybody have an opinion on my original point? Should I get a CAI and return the Secret Weapon-R to get rid of the hum?
Old 02-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom

Sort of. The TL-P has 2 resonators Stock. If you remove the one between the air box and the TB you will get the HUM and ALOT louder vtec sound. having that there to collect moisture wouldnt make sense. If enough were to collect there it wouldnt evaporate, it would just alow more moisture to be drawn into the engine. Condensation of moisture in the tube wouldnt hurt the engine at all. its such a small amount and teh engine would suck it dry in no time
Old 02-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by ProvidenceLeaf
So does anybody have an opinion on my original point? Should I get a CAI and return the Secret Weapon-R to get rid of the hum?
like I already said...the AEM V2 intake (a CAI) had a real loud hum at idle
Old 02-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Back in a Type S

Thanks...I know about the V2 having a loud hum. I have a TL-S so I wouldn't be able to put a V2 in since they don't make one to fit a TL-S yet. I want to know if installing an INJEN or AEM(not the V2) CIA would be a little quieter and if it one of those is better than the Secret Weapon-R at low rpms or idle. Love the sound when I floor it! That's when I want it as loud as I can get it. The SW-R sounds awsome when I open it up. Just not when I am stopped at a light or doing some light driving around town. That is when the hum is borderline annoying. Believe me it is a LOUD hum. I have to turn the radio up to drown it out.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:00 PM
S = Slow

Shushhhhhh..... Its a "secret" weapon intake. Why you telling us? Now we know... sorry I was bored. lol
Old 02-04-2006, 11:14 PM
ASSEMBLED TO PERFECTION

I would think the AEM CAI would be queiter, i have one and i barely hear the humming , the onyl time i hear it is when i pop the hood and have my head near the intake. I remember on my accord i had a weapon r short ram and it had a humming noise but nothing crazy loud, definitly louder then the CAI in my tl, like someone mentioned earlier , the cai would be quieter because the filter is alot lower and that is where the noise comes from so you cant hear it much, but on the short ram the filter is right there by the motor, which is why its a lot louder... hope this helps, basically i think it would be quiet if you got a CAI. good luck
Old 02-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
I have a CAI and i dont think i've ever noticed a hum. But I must admit that it was only a few days between the time I got my intake installed and the time I got my exhaust put on.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

when you remove the resonator do you have to plug the hole??? And with what??
Old 02-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Back in a Type S

Thanks for all the help everyone. I just ordered an INJEN CAI. I've been driving around for a few days now and I can't get used to the hum. I've even had some friends ask me if there was something wrong with my car because...I'm telling you the hum is super loud when my car is just sitting there with this particular intake. I was able to talk to a tech at Weapon-R, and he admitted that the hum on their product was "a little more agressive" than most SRI. (a little more annoying) Like I have said many times, it sounds awsome when you open it up. It just too rediculous when you are stopped at a light or driving around town. With a hum like that...the "Secret"Weapon-R isn't such a big secret. After my experience with this product I would definitely NOT recomend it! I hope I have better luck with the INJEN CAI. Once again thanks to all for your help and opinions!
Old 02-05-2006, 10:10 PM
Boomer SOONER

hopefully it works out for you - I mean when I had the AEM V2 the hum was VERY loud, probably similar to your SRI. If the regular CAI isnt that loud, I may look into getting one sometime
Old 02-05-2006, 10:22 PM
slobalt defender

Received 348 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by ou sig
hopefully it works out for you - I mean when I had the AEM V2 the hum was VERY loud, probably similar to your SRI. If the regular CAI isnt that loud, I may look into getting one sometime

It isn't THAT loud....

I'm lovin it
Old 02-05-2006, 10:33 PM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by HockeyMan0920
It isn't THAT loud....

I'm lovin it
ya I know - I do miss the intake, the sound during VTEC was amazing!!! where are you at in Dallas?