J32A2 bolt-ons - what's good and what's pointless

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 01:08 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
J32A2 bolt-ons - what's good and what's pointless

Greetings, comrades! I'm pretty sure the locals have beat the shite out of this topic, and searching the forum does open a lot of opportunities for long evenings of reading, but 1) the scattered information on this topic leaves me uncertain, 2) I disagree with some of the things people are writing, so I'd like to share my perspective, maybe get some feedback, change my mind, or reinforce my own stance. Here goes.

So I own a 2001 Honda Inspire (it's the right-hand drive version of the Acura TL), modded as follows:
- J32A2 Type-S motor
- K&N 3-inch cone filter, living in the niche where the stock resonator box used to reside
- 3-inch intake all the way to the TB
- 70 mm Skunk2 Alpha throttle-body, P2R adapter
- J37A1 intake manifold with ported inlet (to the same 70 mm as the TB) and a sort of adapter-spacer for the TB
- IMRC delete (had no other options)
- EGR breather mod
- P2R thermal gasket
- some headers (one is DC-Sports, the other custom made out of thick stainless tubing using the standard DC-Sports flanges - it used to be DC, but the runners were rotted, had to be replaced)
- DC-Sports J-pipe
- 2.25 straight-pipe exhaust all the way through
- '05 Acura TL manual swap

So pretty much ALL THE BOLT-ONS! No idea how much it's making in terms of power, but it feels strong. Anyway, here's what I wanted to discuss. Most of these mods are undisputed - headers are an absolute must for these motors, intake, and so on. But... Ok, so the optimal IM is the J37A4, but I couldn't get my hands on one personally, so the J37A1 unit will have to do)) Anyway, I've been reading information on Azine about installing 2,5-3 inch exhaust, for example. And 4-inch intakes. And... Well, I fail to see the point. Correct me if I'm wrong, but... Comptech, Manzo, DC-Sports J-pipes all end with 2.25 inch tubing (where they connect to the exhaust), correct? What's the point of going any wider after that, considering that exhaust gases cool down and slow down the further away they get from the motor? I'm actually considering reinstalling my stock mufflers (since there soon could be a crack-down on modified cars where I'm from, so I'm thinking about going full stealth-mode). And the intake - well, wouldn't the air flowing through the 4-inch tubing bottleneck when it gets to the TB? I'd imagine that would be the case, but I keep reading about 4-7 whp gains from such a mod. Please correct me if my reasoning is mistaken. Might there be some sort of resonance-wave deal happening which involves intake-motor-exhaust cooperating as a whole (which I don't fully understand)?

Last edited by InspireJ32A; 03-24-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,392 Posts
It looks like you are pretty much 'fully bolted' with all your mods.

With that said, you may have already found this thread during your research and it should probably be in your transmission thread on the CL side; however, while you have the tranny out this may be a 'mod' that you can incorporate, if interested, to get a little more low end quickness.

I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend and whether compatable/usable parts are available in the RF, check it out.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...-drive-910949/
The following users liked this post:
InspireJ32A (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 03:22 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by zeta
It looks like you are pretty much 'fully bolted' with all your mods.

With that said, you may have already found this thread during your research and it should probably be in your transmission thread on the CL side; however, while you have the tranny out this may be a 'mod' that you can incorporate, if interested, to get a little more low end quickness.

I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend and whether compatable/usable parts are available in the RF, check it out.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...-drive-910949/
Nah, I want to get the box put together ASAP, waiting for the clutch-fork to arrive (none in stock anywhere in Europe, so it's coming in from... Somewhere, USA or Japan, I don't know exactly). I was actually looking into a 4-inch intake, that's why I brought this topic up, I'm just not sure whether it's worth it over a 3-inch given that the TB will remain 70 mil.