02 Acura TL installing aftermarket door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 09:30 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 Acura TL installing aftermarket door speakers

So today I had some guys at an audio shop replace my factory door speakers with aftermarket speakers ....long story short the speakers sound very staticky an hardly any vocals or any background instruments can be heard in any song the guys were saying that it’s the factory amp causing the staticky sound and that I need to buy a new headunit a bypass to bypass the amp is there any truths to this or can I do something else to where I don’t have to buy a new head unit . And I still have the factory head unit in the car now.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
That is correct. The factory HU has a built in EQ that is tuned specifically to the cheap paper cone factory Bose speakers. When you replace them with good quality speakers it sounds horrible until you either bypass the EQ(to keep the factory HU) or go with an aftermarket HU.

I did the bypass years ago and forgot exactly hows it's done(you'd have to search), but it involves pulling the head unit and opening up the audio wire harness to snip and solder certain wires together. I've since gone with an aftermarket setup.

While the bypass is certainly doable, my recommendation would be an aftermarket HU. They can be had relatively cheaply and avoids the hassle of doing the bypass while giving you a much cleaner signal to the new speakers in addition to newer technologies like bluetooth, hands free, cameras, DVD......etc.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:13 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Iggy
That is correct. The factory HU has a built in EQ that is tuned specifically to the cheap paper cone factory Bose speakers. When you replace them with good quality speakers it sounds horrible until you either bypass the EQ(to keep the factory HU) or go with an aftermarket HU.

I did the bypass years ago and forgot exactly hows it's done(you'd have to search), but it involves pulling the head unit and opening up the audio wire harness to snip and solder certain wires together. I've since gone with an aftermarket setup.

While the bypass is certainly doable, my recommendation would be an aftermarket HU. They can be had relatively cheaply and avoids the hassle of doing the bypass while giving you a much cleaner signal to the new speakers in addition to newer technologies like bluetooth, hands free, cameras, DVD......etc.
Well that's disappointing, I always thought you can plug and play better quality speakers in these cars without those ugly aftermarket head units but I guess not without bypassing the EQ. Glad I didn't learn this the hard way.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:04 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iggy

thanks for the heads up my guy