is it ILLEGAL!!!???

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 01:04 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it ILLEGAL!!!???

IS IT ILLEGAL TO BLACK OUT YOUR LIGHTS FRONT AND BACK??? IS IT ILLEGAL TO CHANGE YOUR SIGNAL COLOR(SAY YELLOW TO LIKE REDDISH) ??? I live in NEW JERSEY/CENTRAL. If its illegal, have you ever gotten pull over merely because of this modification? Thanks, fellas. Sorry about the CAP.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:20 AM
Thread Police Chief

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you did all of that then you would be way out of bounds with the D.O.T. , try to search the topic, the government is pretty picky about these kinds of things. Does it mean you'll get in trouble? Not definite, but its a posibility.

Sorry about the caps? Why didnt you just retype it?! LOL
Old 08-25-2006, 06:19 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah, as adam said, everything you mentioned is illegal. *technically* it's illegal to modify your vehicle to a manner other than stock design. that includes lowering, intakes, headers, etc. the problem being that you have to take time out of your day to go to court and produce paperwork showing that they're carb legal, etc. i know for a fact this is the basic gist of the NYS vehicle codes for cops. if they want to bust your balls they can find something.

SSTS
Old 08-25-2006, 07:22 AM
Low and Slow

And that's why I hate the law sometimes. Some cops will let it slide and maybe take an interest in what you are doing. Others are just big jerks. Sorry, I'm done.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:58 PM
Drivin' it till it dies!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been pulled over and cited for having the red rear turn signals....very stupid since some vehicles have all red lenses in there tails. I guess if your lense is clear...the bulb MUST be amber..

As far as the blackouts go....those are definitely illegal too. When head and taillight covers were all the rage in the 90's, I remember people being cited for those too
Old 08-25-2006, 08:35 PM
Drifting

I think you can get away with a clear bulb in the tails, but not red for whatever reason
Old 08-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't even think about it, you'll get pulled over constantly. Jersey cops suck!!
Old 08-25-2006, 10:25 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Weir, In CA, rear turn signal can be either red or yellow when lid. That's why Lexus RX and others have clear taillight housing with RED led light. Blackout or smoke rear taillight housing is technically is not illegal as long as when lid, it can emit red or amber color light that can be seen for a certain distance. Cop will cite a ticket base on the argument that smoke/black out the housing reduce visibility which is unsafe for others.
The below information are directly from dmv of california and no where in the vehicle code that indicates black/smoke head and taillights is illegal or not. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/...htsandlighting

Taillamps

24600. During darkness every motor vehicle which is not in combination with any other vehicle and every vehicle at the end of a combination of vehicles shall be equipped with lighted taillamps mounted on the rear as follows:

(e) Taillamps shall be red in color and shall be plainly visible from all distances within 500 feet to the rear except that taillamps on vehicles manufactured after January 1, 1969, shall be plainly visible from all distances within 1,000 feet to the rear.

Amended Ch. 924, Stats. 1988. Effective January 1, 1989.
Base on this, technically we can still black/smoke out the taillights housing as long as we can prove the light still visible with 1000 feet (which I am sure black/smoke out is not).

Visibility Requirements of Signals

24952. A lamp-type turn signal shall be plainly visible and understandable in normal sunlight and at nighttime from a distance of at least 300 feet to the front and rear of the vehicle, except that turn signal lamps on vehicles of a size required to be equipped with clearance lamps shall be visible from a distance of 500 feet during such times.

Turn Signal Lamps

24953. (a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear.

Amended Ch. 207, Stats. 1994. Effective July 18, 1994.
Amended Sec. 22, Ch. 945, Stats. 1997. Effective January 1, 1998.
Our car has amber turn signal lamps, i put Red LED turn signal lamp on and it's legal!

Stoplamps

24603. Every motor vehicle which is not in combination with any other vehicle and every vehicle at the end of a combination of vehicles shall at all times be equipped with stoplamps mounted on the rear as follows:

(e) Stoplamps on vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 1979, shall emit a red light. Stoplamps on vehicles manufactured before January 1, 1979, shall emit a red or yellow light. All stoplamps shall be plainly visible and understandable from a distance of 300 feet to the rear both during normal sunlight and at nighttime, except that stoplamps on a vehicle of a size required to be equipped with clearance lamps shall be visible from a distance of 500 feet during such times.
IMO, 300 feet is still clearly visible with slightly smoke/black out taillight.

Single Beams

24410. Headlamps arranged to provide a single distribution of light not supplemented by auxiliary driving lamps are permitted on motor vehicles manufactured and sold prior to September 19, 1940, in lieu of multiple-beam road lighting equipment if the single distribution of light complies with the following requirements and limitations.

(a) The headlamps shall be so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high-intensity portion of the light shall at a distance of 25 feet ahead project higher than a level of five inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes, and in no case higher than 42 inches above the level on which the vehicle stands at a distance of 75 feet ahead.

(b) The intensity shall be sufficient to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least 200 feet.
No where in headlight section indicates against black/smoke out headlight housing. With black/smoke out headlight housing, our headlight beam still be sufficient to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least 200 feet.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:34 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
imo any car that has altezzas and doesn't come with them from the factory should be illegal
Old 08-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
imo any car that has altezzas and doesn't come with them from the factory should be illegal

aint that the truth
Old 08-26-2006, 03:20 PM
Wallace, LA

Originally Posted by Phrosttz0
aint that the truth
Dude I love my euro tails...
Old 08-28-2006, 12:41 AM
I=X - optomos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
http://www.ffdet.com/altezzas/
Old 08-28-2006, 02:38 AM
Future JDM Whore

i live in central jersey as well i have hyper white front signals and hyper white rear signals never got pulled over for it **knocks on wood**........i had red turn signals which are perfectly fine in NJ i had to put the in because i failed inspection for the whites so i had to make them red

jersey the turnsignals have to be either amber or red to pass inspection thats wat i was told at the DMV now that doesnt mean go put blue turn signals because i have a friend who did it and he got pulled over
Old 08-29-2006, 09:50 PM
Why I watch sci-fi...

Originally Posted by Da_iLLeZt_TL973
jersey the turnsignals have to be either amber or red to pass inspection thats wat i was told at the DMV now that doesnt mean go put blue turn signals because i have a friend who did it and he got pulled over

In most states, you cannot have any light on the outside of your car blue. Some will jsut fine you, but in Charleston, SC they will fine you for impersonating an emergency vehicle. (ok, he had full undercarrage neons that flashed and could be seen very far at night but you get the point).
Old 09-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Sowi Roja u tiga now

well in fla, tails have to b visible on from 100 ft, rear indicators you can make red but not front. just like ur not supposed to have red or blue in the front of the car. as for the headlights as long as you can c 150 ft infront and 250 with highs youll be fine. but i wouldnt tint it too far especially when it rains it can be hard to c.

not an expert just been pulled over in my younger days alot. (younger = ricer)
Old 09-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ryebreadisme
And that's why I hate the law sometimes. Some cops will let it slide and maybe take an interest in what you are doing. Others are just big jerks. Sorry, I'm done.
The law is there for a reason. Blacked out lights and wrong colored turn signals are just rediculous IMO.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Certified Rageaholic

Originally Posted by optomos
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA thats hilarious!!