Exhaust mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 11:35 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust mods

I’m new to the whole import world, coming from the truck world, I bought a 03 tl type s for a daily. And I want to give it some growl. I want like a 350z or similar type sound but can’t find any good exhaust videos. I don’t want a “ricey” sound. And would love to keep it as simple to just switching some mufflers or straight pipe. I don’t wanna spend much more than maybe $300. Car is bone stock. Any suggestions?
Old 10-08-2017, 01:41 PM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Remove the intake air resonator for some excellent noise up front on the intake phase.

Honestly if you're used to V8 engines then you're going to have a bit of "rice" with the V6, especially if you go straight pipe. But there are some very nice exhausts out there but you have to pay for them.

Here's what I'm going to be putting on my TL soon:

Old 10-12-2017, 09:01 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
^
"bit of "rice" with the V6, especially if you go straight pipe"
Should hear one in person before passing judgment. Straight Pipes J-Series do not sound rice at all, I heard nothing but compliments on my Straight Piped TL-S and I would personally not use a ricey exhaust either. If you compare my video below the ATLP exhaust even sounds more raspier than the straight pipes...

To OP here is my straight piped TL-S sound, Drive-by sounds insanely good but I didn´t record one:

Last edited by Skirmich; 10-12-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:01 PM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Hahah I thought I'd hear back on this one. I was speaking purely from the perspective of someone who has driven V8 all their life and is used to the deeper tone of the V8, especially domestics, and especially with exhaust mods. Anything will sound a bit 'ricey' to that person (not even to mention what a V4 would sound like to that person).

My personal opinion is that nothing sounds better in the world than a finely tuned V6.

I'm actually accidentally running a partial straight pipe due to some damage to my exhaust. At WOT w/ VTEC it is absolutely sublime and LOUD. The drone on the freeway is a bit bothersome though. Where I live I can't legally run straight pipe and don't want to go through hassle during inspection so that's why I'm choosing the ATLP. But I'm open to suggestions like the OP.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:52 AM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Some V6s will definitely rice out on straight pipes but not Hondas.. It is very hard to F* up a Honda V6 Sound Tone, Granted they are no VQ35s but the sound a J Series reproduce is pleasing.

Comparing it to a V8 rumble is well, not logical... Nothing will come close to a V8, If OP has always come from a V8 no amount of money thrown into the exhaust will make a difference on a V6.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:58 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Once my buddy has his welder all set up, I'm redoing my exhaust for a dual Apexi setup. Hopefully I'll be able to share how it goes. Another simple thing to make the engine roar a bit louder is an intake swap. I ripped out the stock housing on my TL and put in a Spectre setup for about $70. My engine is definitely heard, especially over 4500 RPM.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:55 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
For my 2000 TL all I need is a good cat-back and I can't decide between either the Tanabe Medallion T70078 or the ATLP ES0002 (if I can hunt one down). Based on experience which one is the way to go based on which performs and sounds the best? Thank you!
Old 02-23-2018, 03:24 PM
UA5_PDX

Straight pipe details.

Originally Posted by Skirmich
^
Should hear one in person before passing judgment. Straight Pipes J-Series do not sound rice at all, I heard nothing but compliments on my Straight Piped TL-S and I would personally not use a ricey exhaust either. If you compare my video below the ATLP exhaust even sounds more raspier than the straight pipes...

To OP here is my straight piped TL-S sound, Drive-by sounds insanely good but I didn´t record one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjZnMsRHXKE
I like the sound of your TL did you do mid muffler delete or all mufflers deleted ? Did you use 2.5 piping?
Old 03-03-2018, 12:36 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Skirmich
^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjZnMsRHXKE
I need to know what you did to the piping to get this sound, please!