Comptech Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Back in a Type S

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Comptech Exhaust

I have Comptech axle-backs on my type-S.

I've read about replacing the resonator to get a little more growl from Comptechs, but I was wondering if installing the Comptech B-pipe would make a difference in sound. Thanks all...
Old 04-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Wallace, LA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, the B-Pipe will change the sound significantly. However, that thing is expensive, and not worth the money in my opinion. You are paying for 4 things when you buy the Comptech B-Pipe.

1.) The Comptech name.

2.)Stainless Steel. Obviously, great stuff but mild steel coated with a protectant (bbq paint) will hold up more than well enough. We all know SS looks great, hence the value in getting the Comptech mufflers, but a SS B-Pipe is a bit much in my humble opinion. Who is going to see you B-pipe?

3.)Different resonator. My advice is, if you want to create the same sound a full Comptech Exhaust set up would create...just get a 22inch Magnaflow resonator. If you like it louder, a la Apexi, Neuspeed, and Tanabe get smaller resonators. 18inch or 14inch http://www.hottexhaust.com/ Same sound, fraction of the cost.

4.)Increased B-Pipe Diameter. From 2.25inches to 2.5 inches. As you know our exhaust is free flowing enough. This is essentially pointless unless you have FI. Sans FI you will probably gain some top end but lose a bit low end.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:13 AM
Initial D

Comptech B pipe is a nice upgrade. Because it is modular, installation is easy. The smaller pre-muffler makes your TL sounds mean and deep. The Y split portion can be easily seen from behind, just as the mufflers.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:20 AM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
I am not sure about the resonator giving you more of a growl because I installed the entire exhaust (headers back) at the same time, so I have nothing to compare it to. I was more or less buying the exhaust b/c it is SS and will hold up well, and I wanted a deeper sound. I guess I could have gotten the sound from the mufflers alone, but it's to late for tha now. I bought the entire exhaust and I don't regret it. Here is a pic of her from behind.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:27 AM
Wallace, LA

^^^The mid muffler is key to the exhaust note. The car is much quieter with the OEM mid muffler/resonator and just the axlebacks. And yes, as the picture shows, the Y pipe is visible...but less so than the mufflers(Think side views, views higher up from the ground- we can all use common sense here). No doubt, if you have the extra cash to burn...get the cat back set up. It is the best quality. Just in my opinion it is excessive.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Initial D

Comptech does not have a resonator, just a pre-muffler. Here are some pictures I stole from the catback comparasion thread.

Old 04-03-2006, 12:41 PM
new wheels = old school

thats a custom setup there. that is not the comptech Bpipe. the comptech is stainless and looks completely different because it does not branch out like that custom job does to the mufflers.

Old 04-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Initial D

Yes, used picture mainly to show one can see the y pipe from behind. Of course, you have to bend down if you want to see it from the sides.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Wallace, LA

What is the differnece between a pre-muffler and a resonator?
Old 04-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TLsu
What is the differnece between a pre-muffler and a resonator?
The difference is one is called a pre-muffler and one is called a resonator.

j/k

I'm not really sure but from reading this it seems they do more or less the same thing.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:03 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the photos. My Comptech Cat Back should be here in a few days. That is what I hope is the missing piece.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:36 PM
Initial D

Originally Posted by snowman81

j/k

I'm not really sure but from reading this it seems they do more or less the same thing.
That is a good link. Correct me if I am wrong, the muffler usually use a combination of reflection, restriction, and aborption to muff the sound, resonator usually just use reflection.
A good example is HKS Super Dragger muffler, I see many holes on the main pipe. Holes allow sounds to be aborbed by fiber glass. OEM mufflers sometimes have bents to further restrict flow but to muff sound further.
Resonator do not have sounds absorption fillings and are straight pipe with big bulge. That is why the only way to change sound is to change physical dimensions. I have never opened up the Comptech pre-muffler (placed before where mufflers traditionally are), the square shape makes me to believe it has fiber glass fillings.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Fallen

Originally Posted by snowman81

j/k

As discussed earlier, exhaust gas is hot. And we'd like to keep it hot throughout the exhaust system. Why? The answer is simple. Cold air is dense air, and dense air is heavy air. We don't want our engine to be pushing a heavy mass of exhaust gas out of the tailpipe.
One question here. We know that mass of the air wont change despite the change in temperature. When air becomes denser, this means nothing but air will take less space in the exhaust system. (still the same MASS of the air initially produced by conbustion that the engine has to push through the exhaust system) This does not mean that the air will some how magically reproduce newer molecule and increase its total mass..

Any clarification here?
Old 04-04-2006, 01:01 AM
Back in a Type S

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey thanks for all the suggestions guys! I think I'm going the smaller resonator route and save some $$$. I'm still not sure what size I would get. I'm leaning towards an 18". I want a little more sound, but I don't want it to be annoying!