After three years...ICEBOX installed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After three years...ICEBOX installed!

Well my first power mod. I have been wanting to do this for years, but didn't want to shell out nearly $300 bucks for one. Finally found one on ebay for about half of that and jumped on it.

I put it in on Saturday, took about two hours. I have an 01 and I was nervous about the top cover fitting without modification. So what I did was two things:

1.) I removed the plastic housing that covered the driver side HID ballast. I noticed that the passenger side light doesn't even have a plastic housing, so I'm not real worried about water getting in there. (should I be?)

2.) I only put two of three screws in the mounting bracket. I tightened the ground bolt and tightened the rear bracket bolt as well. This allowed me to articulate the lower case up and down so I could attach the top cover more easily.

Also i moved the ABS sensor out of the way of the bellows by moving to where the stock air box bolted in.

I have to say it was worth the wait. I had some air box issues and had replaced it with a used one from a Type-S. When I did that I also removed the lower resonator. To me, this increased the throttle response as well as altered the sound.

I was kinda worried that the icebox wouldn't be much of an improvement over this setup. I was wrong, although I think someone with a stock TLP airbox would feel a greater difference. Plus I get the satisfaction of having an actual Comptech power mod (maybe that's just me).

Anywhooo, just wanted to share a couple of things that I did that did not show up in my Azine searches for icebox installs.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

How do you like it? I love my icebox, it's not too loud and when I get over 3500 rpm you hear a slight growl from the intake.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:51 AM
Goblin With A Wrench

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I had a pain trying to fit my Icebox, but after my labor of love, i love the way it sounds feels handles! i bet you wanted to go racing around like i did.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:02 AM
Low and Slow

Have fun. I've been contemplating switching from an AEM V2 for a while. I can't decide what to do...
Old 05-15-2007, 06:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ryebreadisme
Have fun. I've been contemplating switching from an AEM V2 for a while. I can't decide what to do...

i got way too tired of hearing the engine roar with the v2 when to icebox, very happy with switch
Old 05-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Instructor

Man I really like it.

Everyone said that in terms of sound, it's close to stock. Maybe compared to a v2 or an AEM it is. But I gotta say, especially on a TLP, it's a totally different sound and note...

Did you guys notice any difference in MPG after install. I think I might be getting a little extra.