AEM CAI or Comptech Icebox

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 05:02 PM
Qwaenam Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM CAI or Comptech Icebox

I originally wanted Comptech Icebox but I ordered AEM Intake with my friend's influence. However, the AEM took 1 month+ and meanwhile I ordered Comptech Icebox too after I found out that to clean AEM filter I need to remove the front bumper etc. Now I have both of them in my room to be installed. Would anyone prefer AEM over Comptech for any reason? Because I can sell the Comptech one to my friend for the price I bought, but it seems like no one wants to buy AEM Intake from me (posted in Private Sale). I just want to know if there is a good reason for me to install AEM and sell the Comptech other than financial reason.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:29 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
first of all...you dont have to clean the filter but every 15000 miles at the most. I went 20k and mine looked fine. So you really dont have to worry about that. And you dont have to take off the bumper - its just easier to get at it if you do. And it takes all of 5 minutes to take the front bumper off - very easy.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
I personally preferred the non exposed filter of the Icebox over the AEM, and it did dyno slightly higher than the Icebox.

I dont like the fact that the AEM filter gets wet when it rains. That really cuts down on how long the oil lasts, and filtering ability. Id prefer it to stay completey dry at all times.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:33 PM
IDontRideFastIJustFlyLow

Originally Posted by tigertail
I originally wanted Comptech Icebox but I ordered AEM Intake with my friend's influence. However, the AEM took 1 month+ and meanwhile I ordered Comptech Icebox too after I found out that to clean AEM filter I need to remove the front bumper etc. Now I have both of them in my room to be installed. Would anyone prefer AEM over Comptech for any reason? Because I can sell the Comptech one to my friend for the price I bought, but it seems like no one wants to buy AEM Intake from me (posted in Private Sale). I just want to know if there is a good reason for me to install AEM and sell the Comptech other than financial reason.
where did u get the comptech from and how much cuz i wanted to get one for my TL
Old 10-26-2005, 11:27 PM
Qwaenam Crew

Gunsroses 316

i bought it off ebay... Acura of Escondido was selling it.. I had to pay sales tax because I live in CA. Total was like 270+. Excelerate in Groupbuy sells it for 260 shipped I think.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:30 PM
Qwaenam Crew

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
I personally preferred the non exposed filter of the Icebox over the AEM, and it did dyno slightly higher than the Icebox.

I dont like the fact that the AEM filter gets wet when it rains. That really cuts down on how long the oil lasts, and filtering ability. Id prefer it to stay completey dry at all times.
THat's what I was concered as well. I don't know if TL has the hydrolock like S2000 does with AEM but that kinda scared me.. even though I don't see alot of rain in So Cal. I think imma stick with Comptech... just gotta get rid of the AEM. Would E-bay the best way to sell this?
Old 10-27-2005, 01:47 AM
Instructor

THat's what I was concered as well. I don't know if TL has the hydrolock like S2000 does with AEM but that kinda scared me.. even though I don't see alot of rain in So Cal. I think imma stick with Comptech... just gotta get rid of the AEM. Would E-bay the best way to sell this?
doesn't every car hydrolock when it sucks up some water? haha... i don't think water compresses very well in a combustion chaimber nor does it combust very well... in ANY car...
Old 10-27-2005, 01:57 AM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde

THat's what I was concered as well. I don't know if TL has the h
ydrolock like S2000 does with AEM but that kinda scared me.. even though I don't see alot of rain in So Cal. I think imma stick with Comptech... just gotta get rid of the AEM. Would E-bay the best way to sell this?
Actually I just sold my AEM V2, and I had about 15k miles on it. First of all when I took it off, the filter looked just about as good as it did when I put it on with fresh oil and cleaned, and I drove through countless storms and puddles and the oil was just fine on the filter. The filter only got a few spashes on it when I went through a flash flood type storm in Houston this summer.

So I would get the V2 over the Icebox, just because I wouldnt spend that much $$$ on something that looks stock and sounds about the same - but it would be a toss up for me between the Icebox and a regular CAI.

Just dont base your decision on the possibility of the filter getting wet or you having to clean it often (you will have to clean the crappy foam filter that comes with the Icebox a lot though).
Old 10-28-2005, 07:31 PM
In 702, 808 in Dreams

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I personally like the AEM CAI. i have one on my TL-S right now. it is a little scary as far as the water goes. i admit im pretty paranoid on the water puddles. but you actually have to submerse the whole filter in water like up to the fender to hydrolock the motor. a little splash here and there is not bad. if the filter sucks a mist of water its ok. actually in the olden days there was a system that injects a mist of water to clean out the motor. so i mean small mist are ok. but a whole glass that would drown!!!. im happy with my CAI could not have asked for more. !!! plus the price did not rape my wallet!!!
Old 10-31-2005, 03:14 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ou sig
Just dont base your decision on the possibility of the filter getting wet or you having to clean it often (you will have to clean the crappy foam filter that comes with the Icebox a lot though).
Hmm bending a rod/hydrolocking a motor over a few horsepower shouldnt be considered in the purchase?
Old 10-31-2005, 09:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Zilverz
Hmm bending a rod/hydrolocking a motor over a few horsepower shouldnt be considered in the purchase?
Because water splashing on the filter or getting on the filter wont do it. You would have to be dumb enough to drive thru water thats atleast 10 inches deap long enough to submerge the filter longenough to draw in enough water to do it. If you plan on doing that then i would recomend the icebox
Old 10-31-2005, 10:48 AM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by Zilverz
you obviously dont know what it will take to actually do this to your motor - like fsttyms1 said, it wont happen with normal driving.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:08 PM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay don't mean to hijack this thread - but didn't see a need to open a new one.
Question: with the Icebox what is the suitable K&N filter replacement for the sponge one? part #? Thanks
Old 10-31-2005, 07:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Because water splashing on the filter or getting on the filter wont do it. You would have to be dumb enough to drive thru water thats atleast 10 inches deap long enough to submerge the filter longenough to draw in enough water to do it. If you plan on doing that then i would recomend the icebox

No one plans on it. It is just a factor to consider... not telling people "Dont Consider it" like was mentioned
Old 10-31-2005, 07:19 PM
Intermediate

you obviously dont know what it will take to actually do this to your motor - like fsttyms1 said, it wont happen with normal driving.

I dont quite understand this statement.

You make some assumtions about me, site no evidence that your a considerable good source of information on the subject, and then expect people to take your word insted of mine?

There isnt really a need for an argument.

You stated that people need not worry about hydrolocking there motors with a CAI with no bypass.. you should not be telling people that ... hundreds of people have hydrolocked there motor this method. That is Fact.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Im not even talking about hydrolock.

Drive a car with an AEM through any rainstorm or puddles, and then check your filter; it will be wet. The underbody/fenderwell lining has openings in it, and if you drive through a puddle; dirty water will splash up through it, and onto the filter, saturating it. Yeah it will dry up, and may look ok later, but it does get wet, and that is definitely not ideal for filtering capacity, or oil retention.

Been running an AEM CAI on my 96 Accord for 5-6+ years/80k+ now, and the setup is exactly the same. When I got the TL-S, I definitely knew I wasnt going that route, and went with an Icebox. Had it for over a year, and had 15k+ on the foam filter.

The icebox filter definitely has a longer service life than an AEM. On mine, after a year, instead of servicing the foam filter, I changed it to a direct fit K&N Filter. Didnt put a ton of miles on it, but it was like new when I sold it.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Check out this page for the power differences.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=icebox
Unfortunately the links to the dynos no longer work, but people mention the gains across the whole band in their posts as well.

That and the design had me sold.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Bareback
Okay don't mean to hijack this thread - but didn't see a need to open a new one.
Question: with the Icebox what is the suitable K&N filter replacement for the sponge one? part #? Thanks
k&n filter for the ice box ru-2590