Accidently used regular unleaded gasoline 5-6 times

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 04:22 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yikes
The J32A1 engine has a compression ration of 9.8:1.

Gay-Lussac's law of thermal dynamics roughly tells us that the pressure of a gas and its temperature are directly related. Simply put, when you increase the pressure of a gas, the temperature increases. (This is the fundamental principle that diesel engines are built upon)

Octane rating simply means resistance to burning. If you run anything lower than 91 octane rated gasoline through any engine with a "high" compression ratio, you run the risk of having the fuel ignite, simply because of the temperature caused by the amount of compression, before the piston reaches TDC. This will try to force the piston down when it is trying to move up. Needless to say this will not only result in a loss of power, but could also damage engine parts.

My '00 TL, having 202,000 miles, had a slight tick to it when I bought it. I'm not sure if it was the seafoam, but I've never put anything except 93 octane in my tank, and the tick seems to have smoothed out. The entire engine, the way it revs, idles, and drives generally seems a lot smoother.

Just remember this at the end of the day: Premium fuel is required for a reason. They didn't do it to be jerks and make you pay more at the pump.

Besides, in the late 90s and early 2000s gas was oh so cheap. :')

Enjoyed reading your reply re: the gas octane levels. I too believe in following the manufacturer's recommendations. I have a 2000 TL which I have owned since it was new, but which was on loan to my daughter for the last six years until I "repossed" it this last September. I cleaned it up (two kids grew up in it), had it detailed but am less than happy with it. I have to decide whether I want to keep it or not. I am old enough (in my seventies) and well off enough to do whatever I want with it. The thing is I really, really like this car. I originally bought it for my wife prior to "lending" it to my daughter. It is now wholly mine.

Help me out here. I am from the era where a Ford engine was good for about 40,000 miles before you had to do a short block overhaul. The TL has 144,000 and has had the same mechanic for at least 10 years (a Japanese American with a specialty in auto electronics). If I decide to keep it I know I will go whole-hog on restoring it (and I can get pretty tight-ass about things like that). I would love to do that because I love projects. The alternative would be to buy a new TLS or a used TL - maybe three to five years old. This is not a car I would use every day (I've got a little CVR for that). My wife and I just got back from a ride around the Sierra foothills and we both enjoyed riding in the TL. Made me think I'd like to spend more time and money on it. Would appreciate your comments. A. Alcocer
Old 12-26-2014, 08:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Properly maintained, the J series engine is as solid as you will find. It will easily surpass 500k miles without issue. Just stick with normal routine maintenance and you will be set.