01 tlp high performance parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008 | 07:15 PM
Cruisin'

01 tlp high performance parts

I just bought my 01 tlp and I have been reading all of these forums and cant get any hard facts. I would like a list of performance parts that would work with my car..

Headers, engine management system, cold air intake, heads, cams, turbos and or supercharger, timing gears, transmission upgrades (like kevlar belts and shift kits), vtec chips, intake manifolds.. Basically everything that is out there.

ps I own a 65 nova which does 11 seconds in the 1/4 and I want to keep my tlp looking stock but not.... Price is no issue lol I live for cheap!
Old 01-24-2008 | 07:39 PM
Team Owner

Welcome to the forum
first you want to register with acura at 1-800 382 2238 x5 and ask if any outstanding warranty or recall issues, ask about the extended SRS coverage too.
register here by VIN https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?brand=acura
read up on transmission failure symptoms and hope yours goes out right away while its got warranty left.
here is the link for owner books- free, the TL has a lot of subtle operating tricks.
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...01_OMANUAL.asp
Browsing the Gen2 thread list will teach you what probs occur and what mods are popular, Read peoples signature on post for their mods.

In the Off Topic link, Sponsored Sales, and Private Sales threads have everything you could want. The sponsored sales area is from authorized vendors to this site, and they pay each month to make it free for us- all have quality parts and good advice- support them when you can.
With the trans a known weak point, SC and Turbo really up the odds of that going out.
Out of warranty, its a $4000 replacement
No special belts or chips are available.
The basic mods you mention are all common here. Underdrive pulley and intake spacers are stealth mods, remove lower intake resonator-free...
The DIY section will give you good info on those.
Again, Welcome and happy modding!!!
Old 01-24-2008 | 07:49 PM
Team Owner

google VTEC and learn how the system operates- at 4700 rpm to redline, oil pressure causes mechanism to operate and the valve timing changes, the 2nd intake valve delays opening slightly- just long enough to create a tornado effect for the fuel/air mix as it enters the combustion chamber
Thats the roar you hear at full throttle and you start getting pushed back in the seat
Not getting pushed back in the seat? Read DIY on Seafoam the TL and do that intake and fuel injector cleaning service (shop would charge $100- you do it for 15)
Then install NGK Iridium IX plugs- no you cant use bosch or 2 dollar autolites. These are special super fine electrode plugs with a hi energy electronic ignition sysytem using individual coils at each spark plug, no power lost thru cap- rotor- plug wires~
A word of caution- they are 7 bucks each, get used to the fact the TL is not an economy car for repairs. Though 2-3 grand will get you a nice dropped souped ride with go fast and stop fast turn fast abilities ,see the pic sections for examples
Old 01-24-2008 | 08:05 PM
-Arsenic-

^^LOL dude he just wants to know what he can do to make his TL-P quicker, he didn't ask for a book on maintenance. Here:

-Headers
-Intake
-Exhaust
-Pullies
-Thermoblock Spacers
-Iridium Plugs
-APEXi NEO (fuel management/VTEC controller)
-Mugen Cooling Mods (thermostat, radiator cap, fan switch)
-Random Technology High-Flow Cat
-Urethane Motor Mounts
-P2R Intake Plenums
Old 01-24-2008 | 08:20 PM
The ICEMAN

Just get all of the comptech parts, Headers, Icebox, Supercharger...
Old 01-24-2008 | 08:31 PM
Cruisin'

thanks 02typeS but when I search for shit for my car I always get shit for the tls. Can I use tls shit on a tlp... I mean I am new to the tuner world... (I know slot about musle car) like I was reading about ppl removing there lower intake and exhaust resonator.. What are they? Where are they? And what do I gain from it..

and will the apexi NEo work with the top and if so where can I get it?
Old 01-24-2008 | 08:43 PM
-Arsenic-

No prob. Everything I listed can be used on the TL-P or the Type-S.
Old 01-24-2008 | 08:55 PM
Team Owner

Getting a baseline of proper maitenance parts and plugs is where any modding should start. You wouldnt go dyno run with a known miss and dirty oil would you?

How do you know if whatever mystery problem appears after a mod, was it new or an existing problem amplified ???
Improve your brake rotors and pads, the seals in the calipers all have a wear/life limit.
Spirited driving on older parts is going to wear them even faster

New plugs and seafoam is a valid MOD for a starting point of a car you just got and have no idea of its history. Figure if it was traded in its got a few needs

If I can get a new member hooked up with the right threads to read and an owner book, the rest of us dont have to see 20 new threads on the same beat to death subjects.
If you cant find it in the threads or DIY, Acura should give you a medal for discovering a unique new problem