zaino - smears

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 06:55 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question zaino - smears

i was wondering if anyone else had this problem. i've been using zaino (z1, z2, z5 and clay) for over a year now. i like it. smells good, looks fresh.

lately, the past few times i've applied z2 or z-5, it's taken a lot longer to wipe off. i usually let it sit in the sun so that it can dry faster, but just smears a lot. is this b/c i have so many "layers" or "coats" from previous applications? should i wash the car w/ damn dishwashing liquid next time to strip the car of the 'old layers' of zaino polish? should i just wait longer?

any suggestions/thoughts would be helpful. thanks!
Old 06-11-2003, 07:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wash the car and strip the old wax everytime when you apply new wax/polish on it.
strip the wax= dawn+clay.
try it.

btw, how often you wax. i do it twice a year at most.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:29 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by this is me
wash the car and strip the old wax everytime when you apply new wax/polish on it.
strip the wax= dawn+clay.
try it.

btw, how often you wax. i do it twice a year at most.
Hmm...that doesn't sound quite right. I think you might get more comprehensive advice if you check out the forums on acura-CL.com. Jebus, some of those guys wax like every weekend. I doubt they Dawn and clay EVERY time. Plus - and it may just be my own inexperience talking here - I don't see how there is a huge practical difference in putting an *additional* coat of wax on the car immediately after the virgin coat dries or several weeks later, provided that you clean & prep (z6) before polishing again. I do know, however, that even Zaino recommends a complete strip/clay/wax once a year to keep the shine its best.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Red03TLinTex
Hmm...that doesn't sound quite right. I think you might get more comprehensive advice if you check out the forums on acura-CL.com. Jebus, some of those guys wax like every weekend. I doubt they Dawn and clay EVERY time.
wax every weekend?? never heard of that before.
overwaxing will kill the clearcoat.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:01 AM
Instructor

I might be wrong here but I don't think waxing the car will ruin the clearcoat. Waxing is meant to protect the paint. It's the polishing that does the damage as it takes a piece of the clearcoat a little at a time.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:10 AM
Racer

I never had a problem in the past 2 1/2 years using Zaino. I use the Z2 once or twice monthly. I usually recoat with Z1 every 6 months. You could try and recoat with Z1 followed by Z2 and see if there is a difference. Maybe the Polish Lok has something to do with the drying time also. Good luck
Old 06-12-2003, 05:10 AM
Burning Brakes

My advice is to use less product. In my limited experience with Zaino, using too much on my applicator/cloth causes smearing. Cut down how much you put on and see if that helps.

V.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Get your advice from the Zaino website (FAQ) section & the tricks & tips section or NSXNEXT he is on this site & is one of the Zaino masters. But as said you might be using a little to much product at the time. It also could be the temp & humidity at the time your putting it on. I have a question are you using the ZFX to help the curring time of the Zaino polish? I know the Zaino websit has your question already answered I saw it there myself.
I don't know how many coats of Zaino polish you have on but that sure will not hurt your car. NSXNEXT & SHAWN S over on CL.COM are the masters of Zaino. I have seen there cars in person & they use multiple or many coats of polish.
Some people have 15 to 20 coats or more.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:05 AM

Your using to much Z.... Work it in thoroughly also... You should be fine...
Old 06-12-2003, 08:17 AM
Pro

Thickness of coat and humidity has a lot to do with it. I live in GA, the humidity is always high. No matter what brand you use, when the humidity or dewpoint is high, it takes a lot longer to cure the wax. There is no easy way. If there is please someone tell Me! Plus you`ll know when you get to the point of over waxing!
Old 06-12-2003, 08:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by Mr
Your using to much Z.... Work it in thoroughly also... You should be fine...
Could be the problem. Hopefully in the last year, you've got the technique down.

I'd also think it might be the following:

1) Have you applied coats of Z1 every 10 or so coats of Z2 or Z5? Z2/Z5 needs Z1 to bond to. Otherwise it never cures.

2) Are you shaking the bottles of Z2/Z5 really really well? I live in the Northeast and it gets cold in the winter. This causes Z2/Z5 to separate. I realized it the first year I left it in the garage. No more.

Really shake the bottle well before and during application.

If you're at the end of the bottle and you haven't mixed it well during the previous coats, it's possible that some of the "layers" have been used up. This might cause it to be very thin.

There is a good FAQ about Zaino on this forum on application if anyone hasn't seen it. The guy seems to know what he's talking about.

The key to Zaino.....THIN COATS

You almost can't see it on the car when you apply it.

I can get 3 coats out of 1 ounce of Z2

PS....The comment this is me made about "overwaxing" the car is ridiculous. I have put 100+ coats of Z on my car and it still looks as sexy as it did after coat 1. No clearcoat wear...no problems whatsoever.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:40 PM
Advanced

thanks all for your comments/suggestions. i will be a bit more careful the next time out, and try not to apply too much of zaino. i've used the z-1 about 3-4x a year.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:23 PM
Racer

anyone know the website for zaino?
Old 06-12-2003, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by jspecinspire
anyone know the website for zaino?
www.zainobros.com
Old 06-12-2003, 01:59 PM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I havnt had a problem with it curing but for some reason the protection wears off after 3 days. The shine is still there but i could feel that there is no wax on the paint. I have try everything possible, Dishwashing the paint than z1, z2 fallow by z6, than z2 again. I have done this a few times and the wax just wont stay for more than 3-5 days, even when I dont drive it in the rain. what am i doing wrong? Than i also tried meguires gold class and even that wears off after 3 days!?
Old 06-12-2003, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by MotionEffects
I havnt had a problem with it curing but for some reason the protection wears off after 3 days. The shine is still there but i could feel that there is no wax on the paint. I have try everything possible, Dishwashing the paint than z1, z2 fallow by z6, than z2 again. I have done this a few times and the wax just wont stay for more than 3-5 days, even when I dont drive it in the rain. what am i doing wrong? Than i also tried meguires gold class and even that wears off after 3 days!?

Impossible. Zaino is made to last. Zaino is not a ordinary wax it should last atleast 3 months.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by MotionEffects
Impossible Zaino should last a very long time as said.
I put Zaino Z5 & Z2 on my Nighthawk Black 3 yr old TL over a month ago.
This was the first time I have done it for this year after our bad winter. I did not do the clay bar & Dawn Wash when I did it because I was very low on polish almost out of polish at the time. I needed to get something on the car badly for protectiion. I had washed a few other times before with Z7 & used Z6 when the weather got good. I have not washed the car in that time because it been raining here like crazy the last month & I did not have time to do it on good days. My car still shines & water still beads & runs off when it rains like now again. My full Zaino order should be here tomorrow or Saturday. I got Z-18 Clay bar, ZFX, Z2, Z5,Z6,Z7. I also picked up a bottle of blue dawn from the store I am ready.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:58 AM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
If its impossible than i got some f'ed up paint on my car, cuz nutin sticks to it. No wax has ever lasted more than 1 week at most. THe zaino shine is still there but no protection
Old 06-13-2003, 01:33 AM
Instructor

isn't that you can spray a little amount of water and wipe it with a clean cloth can "cure" the smears??

well, I never used Zaino... but whenever I got smear from waxing, I just take it out and wash the car, smear will go away...

I believe Zymol recommend us put some drops of water to "settle the polish/wax"