Your Thoughts on Weapon R secret intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 11:38 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Your Thoughts on Weapon R secret intake

I just got headers and now what an Inatke. I saw a Weapon R secret intake on ebay for 160.00 shipped. Thats a lot cheaper than AEM. It's a short ram, but they claim equal or greater HP than a CAI. What do you think and what are the HP differences if any? Also are a good install fit for a 99 TL-P? It says 99-03 3.2TL in item description. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:02 AM
HELP!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well first off, short ram will give less HP gains than CAI because it is sucking in hot air from the engine bay. Second, I'm not sure about these weapon R products, but i got my AEM CAI for about 170 new.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:06 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
you could wait around some and just watch for a used CAI to go on this site or on Ebay for less that that. I have heard they are fine (the weapon r's) - but very loud because they are a short ram and the filter is up high in the engine bay. I seriously doubt they can match a CAI or especially a V2 or the Icebox - but the differences are slim Im sure. I just put in my AEM V2, it is real nice, but a little bit louder than I was thinking - at VTEC the engine sounds like a freaking pissed off V8! I cant wait to take my mom for a ride and not tell her.

Untill you get one, I highly recommend taking off your intake resonator and putting a K&N filter in - or just keep the stock one. That honestly was the best sound for me - this V2 is very loud, but I can really feel the increased power.

Long story short - if you really want an intake, save up or look for a used AEM V2 or Comptech Icebox (I paid $190 shipped). I really dont think the other CAI's are worth the money. Or just get a K&N filter and remove your stock resonator, and that will free up a few HP and give you that nice sound.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:04 AM
woooo!!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ou sig
you could wait around some and just watch for a used CAI to go on this site or on Ebay for less that that. I have heard they are fine (the weapon r's) - but very loud because they are a short ram and the filter is up high in the engine bay. I seriously doubt they can match a CAI or especially a V2 or the Icebox - but the differences are slim Im sure. I just put in my AEM V2, it is real nice, but a little bit louder than I was thinking - at VTEC the engine sounds like a freaking pissed off V8! I cant wait to take my mom for a ride and not tell her.

Untill you get one, I highly recommend taking off your intake resonator and putting a K&N filter in - or just keep the stock one. That honestly was the best sound for me - this V2 is very loud, but I can really feel the increased power.

Long story short - if you really want an intake, save up or look for a used AEM V2 or Comptech Icebox (I paid $190 shipped). I really dont think the other CAI's are worth the money. Or just get a K&N filter and remove your stock resonator, and that will free up a few HP and give you that nice sound.
What he said. Couldn't have explained it to you better.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:08 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like they said before, I doubt a short ram will get you more hp than a CAI.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:04 AM
Comptech Freak

ou sig, how much you paid for your used V2?
Old 02-21-2005, 03:43 AM
i

one of my friends told me the weapon r intakes have had issues with the foam filter actually being sucked in...dont kno how valid that is but i jus went with AEM CAI, and i love the sound.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:04 AM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by moahdriven
one of my friends told me the weapon r intakes have had issues with the foam filter actually being sucked in...dont kno how valid that is but i jus went with AEM CAI, and i love the sound.
the filter is impt or else your engine can be screwed

i heard K&N is a gd replacement filter for the CAI
Old 02-21-2005, 06:34 AM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a K&N filter now, where is the intake resonator and how do I remove it? Does removing the intake resonator increase HP by 1-2HP or just give me a better sound?
Old 02-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sbuswell
I have a K&N filter now, where is the intake resonator and how do I remove it? Does removing the intake resonator increase HP by 1-2HP or just give me a better sound?
http://www.abunchofcars.com/diy_page.../resonator.htm

once you get it off, you will see how big and restrictive it was. There arent any proven gains from it, but I did tell a difference when I took mine off - and yes it give a nice sound. Very similar to the Icebox, about 1/2 as loud as a CAI.