You have to read this

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 05:18 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Update on Father and son race

My father has a beater car that we all use when needed. It is a 98 caddilac deville that wont seem to stop leaking anti-freeze. Anyway, i drive my TL, he has a 540 and my mom rocks buick century. He bets his 1000 to my 100 that the caddy would take me in handling, acceleration, and top end as long as he is driving. I told him we were on. Now i drive this caddy to work everyday, and it is defenitely not as fast as the tl. What do you guys think about this, should i embarass my father. He works for the governement so he has axcess to 2 green meadows runways in upstate NY, that are rarely used. The other runways are active though. And he is crazy enough to carry this race out tro triple digits. And lets just say that i am my father's son, and i wont back down from a 100 + mph race.
Old 08-09-2001, 05:24 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'98 Deville as a beater? Nice beater.

Not sure if you have a TL or TL-S, but either way, I think you'll take him.

I also think that the DeVille has a governer that is much lower than the TL.

IMO the TL (either one) has the hardware to out handle and out run the Caddy, but no matter how good the car, it still comes down to the driver.

Good Luck, sounds like fun!
Old 08-09-2001, 06:07 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

You have a cool dad. Go for it, he has no chance. Do you have a type S or not ?
Old 08-09-2001, 06:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely! Your Dad bets $1,000 and you $100. It's a no brainer! Assuming that the runways are safe to drive that fast, and assuming that there are no obstacles in the way that you could crash into (duh! ), it should be a yawner for you. With a $1,000 you can mod your TL (courtesy of Dad!). But if you lose, consider it as gratitude for all the years he took care of you financially (baby food, diapers, clothes, toys, allowance, etc, etc.). If you look at it that way, it's a win/win situation. Let us know how ya did! BTW, what's the HP and tourque of that Caddy?
Old 08-09-2001, 08:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Dont underestimate the power of those V8's they have plenty of kick, but also have plenty of weight to lug around as well. As far as handling goes, the Tl would feel like a NSX compared to a Deville which would wallow around corners like an overweight Hog. Bottom line; Id take that bet.
Old 08-09-2001, 08:45 PM
Intermediate

I think you should

From my experience, I raced my Dad's 87 ELDO,which I tuned. It's a coupe, very good suspension, any hell, I be my dad's ELDO with my 89 honda hybrid. He was ok about it.
Caddy is one HEAVY car, especially Deville.
I think you should take him, shame on you for doubting you would not win!
Old 08-09-2001, 10:29 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Hey guys tomorrow is the big day, we are getting up bright and early to go do this and then go fishing. I dont know what i will do with my 1000 that i will earn. I mixed between headers or rims. Anyway, as soon as we get back i wil give you all the detail. Also we will be taping this, but i have no way of getting it into my computer. We will have a camera at the end of the runway, beginning and in my car. I will let you all know what happens. And on other posts to this topic. The runway has no obstacles each runway goes on for 2 miles straight. They are smooth as silk. Think about it planes have to take off and land there, these are not 747's that can land on a ****ty runway, these are cesnas and private jets and crap. And i never doubted that i would win, i just wanted to know what you guys thought.
Old 08-09-2001, 10:43 PM
Instructor

Watch that Caddy on the stretch, that big v8 moves
once its opened good.
Old 08-10-2001, 12:18 AM
Racer

look out though, he may be doing some engine tweaking of his own when your sleeping and he may just give you a BIG surprise on race day!
Old 08-10-2001, 12:49 AM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Too Close to call, I'll put money on your dad just because I have floored a V8 before.

YOUR DAD’S CADILLAC
Acceleration (0-60 mph): 7.8 sec.
Braking Distance (60-0 mph): 134 ft.
Roadholding Index: 0.72
Base Number of Cylinders: 8
Base Engine Size: 4.6 liters
Base Engine Type: 8 cyl 4.6 L
Horsepower: 275 hp @ 5600 rpm
Torque: 300 ft-lbs. @ 4000 rpm
Drive Type: FWD

YOUR TL
Acceleration (0-60 mph): 7.7 sec.
Braking Distance (60-0 mph): 137 ft.
Roadholding Index: 0.78
Base Number of Cylinders: 6
Base Engine Size: 3.2 liters
Base Engine Type: 6 cyl 3.2 L
Horsepower: 225 hp @ 5500 rpm
Torque: 216 ft-lbs. @ 5000 rpm
Drive Type: FWD

Timing is critical.. how do you guys start? Ready, set, go, or do you have an offical 'flag waver'?
Tips:
Rev up to 2000 rpm with your left foot firmly on the brakes
D3 mode with TCS turned off
Jack rabbit it when flag goes off.
see you in 7 seconds..

Good Luck have your $100 handy :p
Old 08-10-2001, 01:58 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe he does have a chance!
Old 08-10-2001, 03:13 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If you guys are going up to the triple digit, I put my money on the Caddy. The TL can't do no crap at 100mph+ cuz the gear ratio. Don't get me wrong but if you have ever played with an STS, you will be surprised.
Old 08-10-2001, 08:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

I rented a 2001 DeVille for my friend's wedding a couple of months ago. It was the base model (275hp) and it was SLOOOOW. The gearing is super tall.. first was good for just over 50MPH if my memory serves me corectly... and it took it's time getting up there.

I wouldn't hesitate to race if for nothing else than being able to get a 10x return on a possible $100 loss.
Old 08-10-2001, 11:32 AM
Instructor

Make sure your tailpipes are free of bananas or any other trick up your dad's sleeve..

Good luck!!!
Old 08-10-2001, 02:52 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Ok everyone we're back and here are the results. We did this early and went fishing but then it started to rain a little so we came home. Ok we had 7 races total and i won every single one. First 3 races were from stop, we had my little bro stand in front, in between both cars and drop his hands after he said ready, set go. I revved up to about 2 grand or a lil more each time while holding the break, and used SS, btw i have a 99. He spun every time and couldnt get any traction off the line and i beat him about 3 car lenghts every time. What he did before the race, was he made his trip computer 0 and rove a half a mile and let down some cones and did the same for one mile. These first 3 races were half mile races. I beat him all 3 times. Then we did a 5 mile and hour rolling race 3 times. The first race i got the jump on him and started to pull pretty nice at around 40 mph, this race i had about 2 1/2 car lengths to about 3 cars ahead. The 2nd time around he got the jump on me and pulled ahead, but i stayed at about 1 foot off his front bumper and then pulled on him at about 40 mph, i only got him about 2 cars maybe less. The third one was a repeat of the 1st rolling race. Then we had a full mile race. I vevved it up and we took off at the drop of arms. We went at it hard, man it was so sick, i hit about 85 when i seen him slowing down and hi-beaming me. I turned around and went back. He said ok you win no more. He said once he was doing 60 it wasnt moving fast up the speedo, while i kept on going. He gave me the money, i was like no no its ok, while i was putting it into my pocket. It was a wild experience taht i thouh my dad would never go through with. he's a cooler guy than i though. Then he was like lets try the same thing with my 540 and i told him yeah in like 10 years when i get my ferrari, we'll race for the titles. Good father and son bonding here, oh and now my lil bro wants m car as soon as he turns 16 which is in a few months. Its no type-s and it not a sports car, but its great for what it is and for what i paid for it.
Old 08-10-2001, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by bigman
Ok everyone we're back and here are the results. We did this early and went fishing but then it started to rain a little so we came home. Ok we had 7 races total and i won every single one. First 3 races were from stop, we had my little bro stand in front, in between both cars and drop his hands after he said ready, set go. I revved up to about 2 grand or a lil more each time while holding the break, and used SS, btw i have a 99. He spun every time and couldnt get any traction off the line and i beat him about 3 car lenghts every time. What he did before the race, was he made his trip computer 0 and rove a half a mile and let down some cones and did the same for one mile. These first 3 races were half mile races. I beat him all 3 times. Then we did a 5 mile and hour rolling race 3 times. The first race i got the jump on him and started to pull pretty nice at around 40 mph, this race i had about 2 1/2 car lengths to about 3 cars ahead. The 2nd time around he got the jump on me and pulled ahead, but i stayed at about 1 foot off his front bumper and then pulled on him at about 40 mph, i only got him about 2 cars maybe less. The third one was a repeat of the 1st rolling race. Then we had a full mile race. I vevved it up and we took off at the drop of arms. We went at it hard, man it was so sick, i hit about 85 when i seen him slowing down and hi-beaming me. I turned around and went back. He said ok you win no more. He said once he was doing 60 it wasnt moving fast up the speedo, while i kept on going. He gave me the money, i was like no no its ok, while i was putting it into my pocket. It was a wild experience taht i thouh my dad would never go through with. he's a cooler guy than i though. Then he was like lets try the same thing with my 540 and i told him yeah in like 10 years when i get my ferrari, we'll race for the titles. Good father and son bonding here, oh and now my lil bro wants m car as soon as he turns 16 which is in a few months. Its no type-s and it not a sports car, but its great for what it is and for what i paid for it.
Good Kill, We sorta expected it...
Old 08-10-2001, 05:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Atta boy! If you were anywhere near my place, I'd take you out for a beer or two!!! Whatcha gonna get with your 1G? Headers? NOS? Hey, that's an idea: get NOS. You'll have a good chance to take your Dad's 540!!! Yeah, I agree with Bitium: your Dad's pretty cool.
Old 08-10-2001, 11:02 PM
Intermediate

I want a kool dad like that
Old 08-10-2001, 11:53 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

I'm going for headers, i would like some NOS, but i plan on having the car for a little while and dont want any probs. I will drink a beer for the victory though.