Xm

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 12:31 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xm

Can someone tell me if they installed XM radio in 2002 TL
If yes, where you put the controler?
Also is it possible to listen to XM through the stock radio without using the casette adapter
Old 06-16-2004, 01:46 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PhillyTL-S
Can someone tell me if they installed XM radio in 2002 TL
If yes, where you put the controler?
Also is it possible to listen to XM through the stock radio without using the casette adapter
my brother just bought me one for my birthday, which i returned 2 days later. but yes you can buy the FM transmitter for it that plugs in the cigarette lighter (power outlet) instead of using the tape deck. i would also imagine you may be able to jerry rig a blitzsafe to hook up to one. if i had kept it, im honestly not sure where i would put the controller. maybe between the seat heater buttons if it would fit ::shrugs::
Old 06-16-2004, 02:07 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you keep it definity use the blitzsafe adapter i installed a blitzsafe for my tv and what a diffenence then fm and i was able to put it in with only removing some of not all the plastic around the radio i dident take out the radio it was tight but i did it
Old 06-16-2004, 06:03 PM
Advanced

Depends on which kind of controller you buy (Roady, Skyfi, Commander), because they come in different sizes. The XM Commander's controller unit is small enough that I was able to put it into my sunglass holder on my 2000 TL-P. I hooked it up to the stock head unit with a Blitzsafe.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:15 PM
Instructor

I also installed an XM Commander with Blitzsafe. But I mounted the unit on the useless CD carrier area (just below the climate controls and just above the HU). The wire was routed underneath the edge of the plastic climate control face and down the driver's side behind the panel/carpeting. The "brain" sits velcroed in a perfectly sized niche behind the firewall (in-cabin), accessible via the driver's side. Antenna was routed to the rear and sits at the very edge of the trunk (closest to the window).

Jung
Old 06-17-2004, 06:02 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The wireless FM modulator that comes with the Roady is garbage. The tape adaptor works a lot better, but the BlitzSafe is the best. I wired my Roady with a BlitzSafe and ran the power plug to the center console under the trim. The ant. I tucked in the pass.front corner of the dash and it has worked fine. The unit is mounted on the Delphi bracket to the right of the radio. I can have my arm on the armrest and change channels with my hand on the shifter. Very convenient.

Since I don't know how to post pictures, if you PM me your e-mail I can send you some pictures.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:46 AM
Racer

Thanks for your responses.
Last question - what is the best place to buy XM Commander and BlitzSafe - Ebay?
Old 06-17-2004, 12:53 PM
Racer

bump
Old 06-17-2004, 02:11 PM
Advanced

FYI, For all of those with the delphi XM Roady unit, a remote is now available. I love my remote!

You can get it at http://specmo.com/SKYFi/ for $20 or you can get in from Circuit City online for $15,00. They do not carry the remote in the stores yet.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:48 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Philly, did you end up finding a good place to get the blitzsafe adapter?
Old 06-21-2004, 07:05 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Bxscig
Philly, did you end up finding a good place to get the blitzsafe adapter?
Not yet,
do you have any ideas.
I will be searching ebay today.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:30 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I gave ebay a quick try but I believe I did not see the one for our car. What is the correct model for the TL anyway?
Old 06-21-2004, 08:49 AM
Racer

BlitzSafe,
Where can I find it?
Anyone?
Old 06-21-2004, 08:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
get sirius, its better than xm
Old 06-21-2004, 11:32 AM
Advanced

Logjam Electronics has any adapter you would need for XM.

Here is the chart that lists all their adapters.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/logjam/i...rossreflj.html
Old 06-21-2004, 03:04 PM
Advanced

Installed XM Commander in 2002 TL

I've got the XM Commander installed in my 2002 TL. I have the commander installed just below the shifter and above the cup holder. I used a little piece of velcro to hold it into place. My antenna is installed on the very back of the roof in the center. The wire is small enough to run in the channel of the window. I used a couple of drops of CA glue (super glue) to hold the wire in the channel.

I've heard a few folks putting the commander in the sunglass holder, but if you frequently change channels as I do, then it will drive you batty having it up there.

Also, with the XM Commander, you have the FM modulator that installs just behind the stereo. Installed in a snap. I wrapped it in foam to make sure it wouldn't rattle (or begin to).

However, I would say: have it professionally installed. 10,000 screws and it was generally a pain in the neck. For $70 a Best Buy---priceless.

I can send you some pics, if you desire.

And, don't get SIRIS--it sucks. XM by far has the most subscribers. In addition to be cheaper, channel-for-channel it has the same number of commerical free channels as SIRUS.

Good luck.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by speedydoctor

And, don't get SIRIS--it sucks. XM by far has the most subscribers. In addition to be cheaper, channel-for-channel it has the same number of commerical free channels as SIRUS.
sirius is much better. alot less drop outs, better channels i got rid of xm for sirius
Old 06-24-2004, 06:54 AM
Intermediate

Commander and '02 TL with Navi and 6-disc changer

Ok, I installed my Commander with the FM modulater provided. It sucks big time compared to the cassette adaptor I had for the Roady. I decided to go with the Commander since it is slimmer and a cleaner install, but FM is not the way to go.

One issue....I want to go with a blitzsafe, but everywhere I look there is nothing for the TL with the 6 disc changer. All the adaptors are made for the cars with the single disc and add-on changer capability.

Where do I get an adaptor for the 2002 TL with 6 disc changer?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by khalils
Ok, I installed my Commander with the FM modulater provided. It sucks big time compared to the cassette adaptor I had for the Roady. I decided to go with the Commander since it is slimmer and a cleaner install, but FM is not the way to go.

One issue....I want to go with a blitzsafe, but everywhere I look there is nothing for the TL with the 6 disc changer. All the adaptors are made for the cars with the single disc and add-on changer capability.

Did you try contacting Logjam to see if they carry an adaptor for you? Or have you checked directly with Blitzsafe?
Old 06-24-2004, 02:47 PM
Advanced

to khalils

khalils,

I had some of the same quality issues with the XM commander and the FM modulator. You need to play with the "tune-in" stations until you find the best one. You're probably hearing static or hissing, right?

Please with the tune-in channels and you'll be alright.

JS
Old 06-24-2004, 05:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by khalils

I have the same problem. I just bought a 6 disc changer out of a 2003 model TL for my 00 TL and thought that I could use the aux plug on the back of the HU to go with an adapter to hook up my XM Pioneer tuner.

I emailed logjam and they said they checked with both Blitzsafe and PIE and neither one thought there was an adaptor that will work.

I question this info because I know that they have 14 pin aux adapters for the 03 and 04 multi-disc changers for Honda Accords. I thought accords and acura would be interchangeable. Maybe not.

I guess the only way to find out is to buy either the adapter for the accord or the one for the single CD HU and see if it works.

You can return it to Logjam if it doesn't work out. I bought a CD changer adapter from them and returned it once I bought my 6 disc changer on Ebay.

If anyone else has tried a different adapter and had success, please let us know!
Old 07-30-2004, 08:34 PM
Intermediate

any pictures of XM install?

I've searched the forum and read all the messages about adding XM Radio (or Sirius) to second-generation TLs, but no one has posted any pictures. Would someone mind putting up a few pics of what the finished installation looks like? I want something neat, clean, unobtrusive.

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:02 AM
Advanced

Pictures of XM Commander II

Originally Posted by Virginia Bill
I've searched the forum and read all the messages about adding XM Radio (or Sirius) to second-generation TLs, but no one has posted any pictures. Would someone mind putting up a few pics of what the finished installation looks like? I want something neat, clean, unobtrusive.

Thanks.
http://www.seibelfamily.com/uploads/xm1.jpg
http://www.seibelfamily.com/uploads/xm2.jpg
Old 08-02-2004, 08:10 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for all the posts...once again, this forum is great about people sharing their experiences and providing info.

I decided to do a full overhaul of my system and installed a new Clarion HU and Polk speakers with an XTANT amp. I am using the AUX input from the Clarion for the XM Commander and the sounds is AWESOME.

So, now it's down to a a clean install of the XM...it's currently on a bracket and I am thinking of mounting it onto the front of the pocket for the Metra Kit, so we'll see what happens this weekend.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Intermediate

SpeedyDoctor,

Thanks. That's just what I was looking for. That's the XM Commander, isn't it?
Old 08-02-2004, 09:12 PM
Intermediate

SpeedyDoctor,

Thanks. That's just what I was looking for.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:38 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

is the general consensus that XM is better than sirius?!?!
Old 08-03-2004, 10:51 AM
Advanced

well...

I love XM, but have never heard, owned or operated a SIRIUS receiver.

However, it is difficult to dispute subscriber rates between the two. I think that's an excellent indication of preference.

JS
Old 08-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by tpatel
is the general consensus that XM is better than sirius?!?!
ive had both and i prefer sirius. i liked the channel programing better on sirius.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:01 AM
Senior Moderator

I love XM, but have never heard, owned or operated a SIRIUS receiver.

However, it is difficult to dispute subscriber rates between the two. I think that's an excellent indication of preference.

JS
thats mainly because xm came out first and got a larger contract with the auto manufactures.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:33 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
thats mainly because xm came out first and got a larger contract with the auto manufactures.
fsttyms1,

XM was only out slightly earlier than SIRIUS...

Regardless of who has a contract with who, superiority of a product drives the market because consumers that's what consumers want. That's, in part, why XM won a contract with auto manufacturers (obviously, pricing played a part too).

You and I have debated the XM vs. SIRIUS; find 5 people on this board that have switched and love SIRIUS and I'll reconsider my perspective.

JS
Old 08-03-2004, 11:43 AM
Senior Moderator

fsttyms1,

XM was only out slightly earlier than SIRIUS...

Regardless of who has a contract with who, superiority of a product drives the market because consumers that's what consumers want. That's, in part, why XM won a contract with auto manufacturers (obviously, pricing played a part too).

You and I have debated the XM vs. SIRIUS; find 5 people on this board that have switched and love SIRIUS and I'll reconsider my perspective.

JS
most get xm due to the fact they can get the blitsafe adapter and plug it straight into theeir headunit. im not saying xm is bad. i prefered the programing on sirius better, that and i had quite a few drop outs with xm, something i havent had with sirius
Old 08-03-2004, 01:25 PM
Advanced

true on dropout

I agree with the drop outs. While I don't experience many, there are certain places I "expect" them just because of my routine driving paths.

As I understand it, a technical design flaw forced XM to drop the transmission power of the two satellites, "rock" and "roll," therefore reducing the net signal strength of the footprinters. However, they may have or will be shortly, launching a new satellite that will eliminate the transmit power problem.

JS
Old 08-03-2004, 03:37 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the XM SkiFi connected with the Blitzsafe adapter. I toggle my XM with my CD button on my TL stock stereo. I think blitzsafe cuts alot of highs and a touch of mids, but it sounds descent. The best XM option is to get a stereo that has XM ready capability. Too bad they don't make stock decks like ours in the 99-03 TL series that would be aftermarket, yet look just like stock with XM connections ready to go.

I mounted my antenna on the rear deck, next to the third brake light housing. So my XM antenna is not visible from the outside and I never, ever drop signal.

I have the FM transmitter (wireless) in my Honda for my XM when I take it out of my Acura and I get engine noise on the highway or hard acceleration. The wireless transmitter actually sounds better than in my Acura Bose system. I have Infinity 5.25" in the front and 6x9's in the back and it sounds damn good.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Instructor

I meant to do this awhile ago... better late than never. Here are some pics of my XM Commander install. It shows the antenna, tuner, and main unit install/position.

Antenna from side

Antenna from rear

Tuner mounted

Location of main unit behind firewall

Hope this helps out.

Jung
Old 08-05-2004, 08:30 AM
2003 SSM TLS

For the record, I prefer the programming on XM over sirius. Sorry fsttyms1.