Worst case scenario: Tranny fails when merging in freeway during rush hour traffic!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 06:19 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Worst case scenario: Tranny fails when merging in freeway during rush hour traffic!

Yep...description says it all. As of today (around 4:00pm I think), my transmission failed immediately after I merged in the freeway going around 65 MPH.

And let me just say...the adrenalin rush I got is alot more than I would of had riding in rollercoasters!

Scenario:

Imagine yourself at a stop light waiting to merge in the freeway (for you locals...it would be around Fremont northbound 880). For every green light, only 1 car is allowed to go in. My turn came up and I'm merging in the slow lane. RPMs burps as I continue to merge in the NEXT lane. 1 lane away from the fast lane then all of a sudden gear drops violently to 2nd. Car does a COMPLETE nose dive and the cars behind me scatter. THEN the car shifts back to 5th...cruises like everything was normal, then when I least expect it BAM, 2nd gear again. I do this about 3-4 times when it finally gave up and got stuck in 2nd.

Luckily I was able to call my local dealer...limp for about 25 miles on the freeway in 2nd gear going @ 45mph to drop off my car. But...on the bright side at least customer service is top notch since by the time I arrived, the paper work was ready to go and I had a 2003 TL/w NAV loaner waiting for me.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,196 Posts
You are lucky you didn't get killed. I think we all need to increase our life insurance policies.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about ur tranny man.

Ur ride is too hot to get in an accident.
Glad ur safe!
Old 04-17-2003, 11:22 AM
still a Masshole

Damn brova, sucks! Glad your ok and hopefully you get one of these "good" trannies!
Old 04-17-2003, 11:23 AM
still a Masshole

What the hell??? That avatar ain't mine!
Old 04-17-2003, 12:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Argh !!! Sorry to hear that. But at least you are OK.

The question is WHO'S NEXT ?

I am afraid I will get into the same situation since I always take 101 to go to work.

Pray pray pray before you get into the car.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine failed when I entered a 65mph highway from a full stop (there is no ramp, just a stop sign on a cross-road)
Old 04-17-2003, 01:26 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Mine failed racing a stupid Mustang...She died brave...

Okay, funny story:
My dealer only uses Acura loaner cars for short term service (meaning two days or less) and otherwise, uses Enterprise to provide a car. I got a mf Ford Focus pos...Anyway, After four days of this pos, I call Acura and tell them they gotta find me another car or I'm gonna go postal...They tell me that they just worked out a deal to have Enterprise get some more cars. It didn't hit me as to why...
I show up at Enterprise across the street from the dealer and the lot is full of full size cars. When I got the rental on Monday, they said they were all out as it is Easter week and they were overbooked...
There is one other guy who pulled up at the same time in a Focus and we walk in together...Get this: We both have TL trannies fry in the same week and both are freakin' pi$$ed over having to drive a Focus! I get a Buick Century grandma special (in white with velour interior, of course) and as I'm leaving, anoher Focus come rolling in with a third guy flipping out over the same stupid car, but he had it less than 30 minutes, and had the same tranny issue!
We Acura owners are such snobs!!!

Maybe the higher pollen content and entrance of spring is really the cause of the tranny failures here in Florida...jeez...
Old 04-18-2003, 04:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Shee-it! Glad you're ok, EG. And although I hate reading about dead trannys, I still (as one guy on the board said) "drive it like I stole it."

29.6K miles and crossing my fingers!

V.
Old 04-18-2003, 05:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Thank goodness you didn't get into another accident, Ed! I feel before you--you just can't catch a break in your car!
Old 04-18-2003, 10:02 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
Wow edgalang! Another "original" bites the dust. That is too scary. You did a good job controling the beast!

At least you know for sure you'll get a good replacement.

Good Luck.

:-jon
Old 04-18-2003, 10:31 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glad to hear you're ok. the dealer i took my car to is in the process of deciding what to do about my d5 blinking. they said its the temperature control unit for the trannie. they said they "think" that will fix it. "WHAT THE FCUK!" aren't these guys suppose to be SURE what the problem is and not just use trial and error. what if the trannie slips from 5 to 2 on the highway going 80mph?. i'm gonna go haunt these guys if i die. hehehe
Old 04-20-2003, 04:12 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Update: Well the chief service manager called me to update me on the situation and it looks like I'm going to keep the loaner for quite some time. I then asked how much would he charge to install an aftermarket tranny cooler since...I figured, if they were already in the process of changing out the tranny (including the fluid), then adding in the tranny cooler would be a breeze.

He then informed me that there is no "official" tranny cooler for my car and that the closest thing would be the Comptech cooler...but...he advised me not to do it. I asked why, and he stated that although he can put one in, in his opinion it is a waste of money. He was informed by Acura techs that the main cause of the tranny failures were not heat related, but more of a bearing issue. He told me I can put a tranny cooler to any transmission, but if it was designed wrong to begin with, cooler or no cooler it wont matter.

So, I then continue to explain other people's scenario about going through 2-3 trannies, and his response was that it was unfortunate that their tranny failed so soon. According to him, everyone who got their tranny replaced before 2003 got the exact same tranny, and it wasn't until this year did they finally adress the situation. So regarding recalls, ACURA couldn't perform a full blown recall if they didn't have a permenant fix for the problem. He is confident that all the TL/CL's that come in for tranny failures this year and beyond should only have to replace their tranny once.

Well....although I'm a wee bit upset that my 1st tranyn failed...At least I feel better knowing I'm being taken cared of. I never knew customer service can make such a difference! So let this be a lesson to all of us...a good relation with your service department is important!
Old 04-20-2003, 04:31 PM
Safety Car

I hope what the service guy said is true...