Windows & Moonroof auto roll-up/close attempted...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2001, 01:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Windows & Moonroof auto roll-up/close attempted...

Well, the bad news is that Tdoh's bro (Bob) tried to get my moonroof to close automatically when I armed my alarm. His team spent a long time trying to figure out how to accomplish the task without a timer of some sort. But, dang it, they just couldn't get it to close without causing it to tilt when finished closing.

The good news is that they were successful in getting my windows to roll-up automatically. So all was not lost today! (Heh, heh, they also talked me into changing out some more lights for brighter/better ones (high beams, front and rear turn signals) -- wow, that's some expensive sh*t!)

Anyway, I searched the forums for relevant threads and found this reply by NATE:
Originally posted by NATE
Its easy, all you need is one of those timers they use for alarms. Not a window module, just a timer. For my alarm I wanted the sunroof to close on arm. We hooked a timer up to it to trip the close switch for a few seconds, works great! For me we also had to give the sunroof power as well as the signal to close but you won't have to worry about this 'cause you'll have the key in. Should be easy! I might mess with this - I'd like my switch to be one touch - like I said, mine only closes on arm.

For close we can do it - some sunroofs are more complicated than ours and its not possible to do. From any position holding the close button closes the sunroof. Other cars, pressing the close button when its closed causes it to vent (moonroof), if you just send a signal to close to these types of sunroofs it will close all the way and then vent... its near impossible to figure out when to stop sending the signal so it doesn't vent.
Hey Nate, if you're out there -- any ideas on what went wrong? Anyone else have some good info to share?! Has anyone else got this mod to work?

Thanks,

Vincent
Old 10-26-2001, 03:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well...it actually I believe is really easy...you have three buttons for the moonroof right? You have open, close, and tilt. Now all you would have to do is add another button, and when you depress it, it closes a timing circuit wired into the close button. It sounds like your guys wired it weird, somehow into the tilt button? All they need to do is wire that simple timing circuit in (hell you can build it, circuit diagram's on the web) and make sure it has a delay longer than the longest time it takes the moonroof to close, which is when it's fully open. Not a bad idea for a mod...I'll have to do it

Austin519
Old 10-26-2001, 01:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Vincent--Bad news?? My bro don't give you bad news--it's your car, it's defective!!

Anyways, now that I'm getting all of this good info from you, I'll know what to expect if/when I get my alarm installed!

Was he also able to get the CompuStar to pop the trunk without having to disarm first (like the factory alarm)? Not that big of a deal IMHO, unless you're one of those people who insist on having the convenience to pop the trunk without having to disarm/rearm the alarm first...

Just out of curiosity--anybody know if the 3rd gen Integra moonroof had a similar wiring configuration? I'm asking because if I remember correctly, my bro was able to get the moonroof on my Integra to close without tilting back open when arming, and he didn't need to use a timer to get it to work properly. Albeit the alarm wasn't a CompuStar (didn't have those back then)...

Austin519--I'm pretty sure that my bro probably didn't wired the signal into the tilt button somehow, and I'm guessing that he could probably rig up a timing circuit. I'm thinking that he was trying to find a way around it without having to use a timer; you know, can't keep customers like Vincent waiting around too long!

Tony
Old 10-27-2001, 01:25 AM
Banned

I gotcha Tony...hmm then I'm at a loss as to how to do it If there's another way I'd like to know

Austin519
Old 10-27-2001, 02:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Hey Tony,

Yeah, your bro had everything except window roll-up working on my first visit. And, yes, when my alarm pops the trunk open it unlocks the doors first. I don't mind that... saves me time, actually.

Also, your bro mentioned something about having to wire directly to the moonroof motor for some reason (that I don't remember!). Not being electrically inclined - his next few sentences fell on deaf ears. Something about the buttons requiring the key to be in the ignition... and needing a way around that. I think! Maybe you could get the real scoop on the problem for me -- instead of me trying to remember and maybe getting stuff wrong!

Anyway, I was a very patient customer... I was there from 9:30am 'till 2:30pm. I was hoping they'd catch a break and figure it out! Oh yeah, I also think he said he didn't have a timer to use.

Austin519: I didn't understand the part about the fourth button. I want my alarm to close the 'roof -- not a 'one-touch' button. Or did I misunderstand what you wrote?

V.
Old 10-27-2001, 02:17 AM
Banned

Yeah no sorry I went one further...I was talking about also adding the button inside the car just because I can't believe they wouldn't have it in there I mean wow! But you could just wire the alarm to the circuit just as well as to anything else...for instance say you wanted it to close the sunroof when you set the alarm...that would be when you locked your doors...so you'd just wire the alarm wires that auto lock the doors through the timing circuit, instead of having a button. Or wire them both...easy enough...

I understand about the no time for timing circuits thing, but I mean it takes like 10 seconds to build

And last but not least...it would make sense that the power to the moonroof was cut off when the key's out of the ignition...I haven't checked but if that's true...all you'd have to do is run power from the battery up to the timing circuit, and then the timing circuit wired in right after the close sunroof switch but on the same wires, and when the alarm arm circuit was switched so as to lock the doors and arm the alarm, then the timing circuit would cut on (think of it as an audio amp remote turn on) and would send current through the wires to the motor that controls the closing of the moonroof, through the same wires that the moonroof switch uses. I can draw this all out if you need it

Austin519
Old 10-27-2001, 10:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Austin519
I gotcha Tony...hmm then I'm at a loss as to how to do it If there's another way I'd like to know

Austin519
Well I talked to my bro and he said basically the same thing you noted--it's practically impossible to get around it without a timer circuit, at least on moonroofs that are wired like the ones on the TL-S; the 3rd gen Integra moonroofs are wired differently--that's how he was able to get its moonroof to close without a timer. Anyways, he's pretty stubborn in that he's always trying to find better ways to build a mousetrap, so to speak.

Oh well...hey, if you find a simpler way to integrate a timing circuit, let us know!

Tony
Old 10-27-2001, 10:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by vperkins2
Hey Tony,

Yeah, your bro had everything except window roll-up working on my first visit. And, yes, when my alarm pops the trunk open it unlocks the doors first. I don't mind that... saves me time, actually.
<<stuff snipped>>
Anyway, I was a very patient customer... I was there from 9:30am 'till 2:30pm. I was hoping they'd catch a break and figure it out! Oh yeah, I also think he said he didn't have a timer to use.
V.
Well, I did say that you were the guinea pig for a CompuStar install on a TL/TL-S.

Until you do a bunch of similar installs, it does take a little time to figure out how and where to properly wire/install everything. That and being able to have access to all the right resources--gotta remember, his shop is small compared to the big boys, so he doesn't have it as easy as they do...

Not to worry--he'll do you right; dunno how you can manage to hang around there for so long, though. At least I won't have to wait as long when I get my alarm installed.

Tony
Old 10-27-2001, 10:00 PM
Banned

Yeah Tony so I figured, keep me posted man, I'm interested,

Austin519
Old 10-27-2001, 11:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by tdoh

Well, I did say that you were the guinea pig for a CompuStar install on a TL/TL-S.
At least I won't have to wait as long when I get my alarm installed.

Tony
You dog! Glad I could be of service to ya!