Window Tints

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 07:24 PM
is still kickin!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Tints

alright i just got 35% window tints around my car, its a naples gold metalic.

i was wondering if the tints get darker as they settle in more or do they stay the same color as when they were put on?
Old 12-13-2004, 07:33 PM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
They stay the same for the most part... But with years of sunlight, some brands become lighter and start to turn color (some smoked/charcoal color tint have been known to go purple with years of UV/heat exposure)...

My friend had bad experience with 3M tint...turned purple after about 7 years...

I had Madico tint for 15 years, and it never changed color (not noticeably anyway)...

That's my experience anyway...
Old 12-13-2004, 07:40 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It will get a little darker about 2-3 weeks after it is put in. Only a little darker though. Naples gold metalic tint, never heard of it. I have platinum tint and it got a little darker 2 weeks after I got it put in.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:41 PM
is still kickin!

Originally Posted by sbuswell
It will get a little darker about 2-3 weeks after it is put in. Only a little darker though. Naples gold metalic tint, never heard of it. I have platinum tint and it got a little darker 2 weeks after I got it put in.

lol no its the color of my car, when i called them up they were like yea if you got a lighter color the tint will be lighter ohh and i got 35% madico tints
Old 12-13-2004, 11:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MeldyS26
lol no its the color of my car, when i called them up they were like yea if you got a lighter color the tint will be lighter ohh and i got 35% madico tints
hey mel, do yo have pics to show? i want a tint.. just do'nt know what kind. and how dark/light.. i'm just looking for pics of tint to decide...
Old 12-13-2004, 11:27 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

i know mine did not get darker at all. then again mine ie 10% and i doubt i woul be able to notice a difference regardless
Old 12-14-2004, 06:20 AM
is still kickin!

Originally Posted by whatwasthat
hey mel, do yo have pics to show? i want a tint.. just do'nt know what kind. and how dark/light.. i'm just looking for pics of tint to decide...

yea i'm just waiting for some good weather and the sun to come out, so maybe in like a week or something.... i hate winter
Old 12-14-2004, 04:45 PM
Advanced

I Have A 2000 Tl Naples Gold Also With 3% All Around I Can't Really Tell If It Gets Darker Or Lighter If It As It Isnt Really Noticeable Not Many Ppl See Gold Tl's Out There
Old 12-15-2004, 10:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Same here, I have a 00' NGM with 28% (According to the light meter at a tint shop) all around on my car (except windshield). When I purchased the car (about 1 1/2 years ago), it was tinted, and I'm looking to have it removed and replaced with ceramic tint of the same level. The stuff that is on there now is the "cheap" tint, and on some days in certain light, it appears to look a bit on the purple side - and it's only going to get worse. So, I'm putting money aside to have the old stuff removed and replaced (about $450 for everything).
Old 12-15-2004, 01:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by orcaatk
So, I'm putting money aside to have the old stuff removed and replaced (about $450 for everything).
I don't know how much the ceremaic thing you're getting but $450 for everything sounds very pricey. I would think most places would strip the tint for free if you're putting on new tint at the same place (or if not at very little expense because it's not a hard task to do).

As for tint turning purple I think that is caused from the dyes, but metallic tints don't have dyes so it shouldn't fade. Most films come with lifetime warrenty for scratches, fading, and some other things.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by crazym0nkey
I don't know how much the ceremaic thing you're getting but $450 for everything sounds very pricey. I would think most places would strip the tint for free if you're putting on new tint at the same place (or if not at very little expense because it's not a hard task to do).

As for tint turning purple I think that is caused from the dyes, but metallic tints don't have dyes so it shouldn't fade. Most films come with lifetime warrenty for scratches, fading, and some other things.
Yeah, it's a bit high, but the shop is does extremely good work and is worth every cent (they did my last car, 89' Accord, and did a phenomenal job). It's $100 to remove the old tint and glue, and $300 for new ceramic tint and installation. Plus, they're going to install the moleskin I ordered from another member on this board for me (I'd hate to scratch my new tint).

I know I could go to a local generic shop and have some kids strip my car and re-apply the tint for cheap, but I really don't want to have to deal with a poor installation job and getting into disputes over "quality" with the shop owner. For $450, I expect all glue and residue to be completely removed with the old tint, and not have a spec of dust/dirt/whatever behind the new tint. This shop will meet that standard without a problem, so I think of the extra money as insurance, and an investment.