Window Tinting!!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 10:57 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Tinting!!?

hey guys.. i've noticed that mostly everyone does 35% tint on their TLs. however.. do u guys do it on ALL sides (6 windows)??? because i know there's laws governing window tinting.. and at least here having any tint in the front window is illegal. but then i would still like to get 35% tint all around, even if it's against the law. has anyone just disregarded the regulations and went ahead and did it anyways? tell me ur setups, guys!! thanks.
Old 03-25-2002, 11:57 PM
Drifting

I wouldn't go more than %50 on the windshield for drivability reasons.
Old 03-26-2002, 12:44 AM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I have 20% in the back window and 35% on all doors and nothing on windshield. I've had this since 1999 and no problems with cops. You can check out some pictures by clicking on my website below.
Old 03-26-2002, 01:39 AM
Instructor

You can usually get away with illegal tint on the front windows, but if your windshield is tinted, that will surely get you a ticket. I don't know of any state that allows the windshield to be tinted. Am I wrong about this?
Old 03-26-2002, 01:47 AM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In NJ, it is illegal to have the two front windows tinted. But of course I don't listen. I have 20% tints on all the windows including the top part of the front windshield. If I see a cop, I always roll down my 2 front windows (even if it is -50 degrees outside ).

IMO, not tinting the 2 front windows and tinting the rest looks so UGLY!:yack:
Old 03-26-2002, 05:55 AM
Burning Brakes

35% is pretty good to go with, but in VA the law is that the rear windows can be 35 and the front windows can only be 50. Wouldn't tint the front...don't want cops hassling me.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:46 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check this site out for your state's tinting laws:

http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html
Old 03-26-2002, 02:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All of you guys are lucky dogs.
I have had the light tint on my car 50% on 4doors & rear.
With the green heat rejecting glass already on the TL from the factory it cuts out glare. I have had the tint almost 2ys now.
I had to take it off on the 4 doors yesterday.
The reason why was to pass DMV Inspection here in Washington D.C. Every car has to go thru inspection every 2yrs & my TL was do this month for the first time. They check everything & D.C. laws
only allow 70% Side & 50% Rear. They check brakes , suspension, all lights, tires exhaust system. I was there at 5:30am this mourning they open at 6:am. Everything in D.C. has to go thru city buses, taxicabs ect. When I got there 2 cabs & a bus were in line. It did not take long for more vehicles to join the wait. I was the 1st one thru & I passed. I got a new sticker good til March 2004. Now I got to re tint the car again I made an appointment for next Friday. When I got the car done the first time I did not get metallic tint because I was not sure if it would mess with the Nav.I have to stay near the light shade as not to draw attention as the police can get anal at times. Here they will let drug boys drive around with paper tags for many months & they steal them. I could even get the 35% but that would be darker than the Rear & I did not won't to take that off & get it done again. I will most likely get the metalic kind on the sides this time since I know better. The problem is to get it to match the non metalic look of the rear. I see they make 3 kinds of tint non metalic ,metalic hybrid & full metalic. The metalic is the best & has greater heat rejecting. I can play around with a few choices I think because I am going with the lighter shade. How I wish I could get 35% tint all around stupid D.C. laws & Suvs & minvans can have thier darker factory tint.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:32 PM
Intermediate

You guys are lucky indeed. I had 35% all around except for the windshield and ended up getting a ticket. To make a long story short, i went to court with a picture of my car without tints (took it before tints were put on) and the judge wouldn't even look at them. He fined me $75 bucks and put it on my record. Also, he said that everytime i get pulled over my fine will double, so the next would be 150 then 300 and so forth. So i ended up taking off the tints from the driver and passenger windows, not happy but what could i do
Old 03-26-2002, 02:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally posted by AcuraTL
I have 20% in the back window and 35% on all doors and nothing on windshield. I've had this since 1999 and no problems with cops. You can check out some pictures by clicking on my website below.
Yup, this is what I have too. In NY I don't think you can tint the front windshield darker, only lighter. This was also the same setup I had on my CL and I've never had a problem....
Old 03-26-2002, 04:56 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Smelly
You can usually get away with illegal tint on the front windows, but if your windshield is tinted, that will surely get you a ticket. I don't know of any state that allows the windshield to be tinted. Am I wrong about this?
I am pretty sure it is illegal to tint your windshield darker.
As for illegal tint on your other windows, it just depends on the state you live in. Some states have thorough inspections you have to go through and you will never get away with it.

Here in CO, it is easier to get away with. If you are pulled over, be sure you roll all your windows down, and you should be ok. However, I have a friend with a car that has a bodykit and wing with illegal tint and he is always being harassed. He actually avoids a certain highway because he has been pulled over so many times and bothered about his tint. So, I guess it also matters what kind of car you drive.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have 35% all around except the windshield. I wouldn't risk it if you live in a cop infested area (like me). I also hear that State Troopers (in NY) like bust balls with the window tints.

Laurelcrest the laws changed (in NY that is), so I don't know how accurate that site is regarding other states. The guys at that Oddesey shop told me that 35% is the legal tint. (35% as far as light going through.... and on the site it says 72%)

oh and did you get your window tinted this weekend or going to next weekend?
Old 03-27-2002, 12:26 AM
Racer

Hey, I used to live in La Jolla.

You are NOT allowed to tint the front windshield or the front 2 windows. Maybe the front 2 windows can be REALLY light tint.

Anyways, I tinted 5 windows. Cops never said anything to me.

On my Ford which I had 3 years, I had 5 windows tinted as well. Cops never said anything.

My brother and friend had to remove tint b/c of cops.

Some people get lucky. Some people don't. Tint your windows anyways. I would...oh I did! Yeah, if it makes you happy, just do it. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2002, 01:30 AM
Advanced

i have a layer of 45% mirror on all my windows with a layer of 30% black behind it and my entire winshield tinted with 45% black. around here because it gets so hot cops usually let the window tint slide unless your being an ass when they stop you, but no one really gets stopped for just tint. my last car had 2 layers of 5% on the back winshield and back windows, one layer of 5% one the front windows, and the entire winshield 30% and i got a few comments but no tickets
Old 03-27-2002, 12:07 PM
Pro

Originally posted by HenryT
You guys are lucky indeed. I had 35% all around except for the windshield and ended up getting a ticket. To make a long story short, i went to court with a picture of my car without tints (took it before tints were put on) and the judge wouldn't even look at them. He fined me $75 bucks and put it on my record. Also, he said that everytime i get pulled over my fine will double, so the next would be 150 then 300 and so forth. So i ended up taking off the tints from the driver and passenger windows, not happy but what could i do
Hey HenryT, where did you get the ticket from and what time? Let me know and I'll avoid that area as much as possible. Not too many Chicago TLer on this forum.

axleback
Old 03-27-2002, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by Alexxx

(snip)
Laurelcrest the laws changed (in NY that is), so I don't know how accurate that site is regarding other states. The guys at that Oddesey shop told me that 35% is the legal tint. (35% as far as light going through.... and on the site it says 72%)
Yup, this is what I had heard as well which is why I went with 35% on the side... I don't need a ticket for something stupid like window tinting, plus, the 35/20 combo looks hot on my car, so I'm legal and happy!!
Old 03-27-2002, 12:41 PM
Advanced

Check with your local DMV

That's the only way to be sure. I am in NY, so I got mine 35% all around except for the windshield. Printed out the info from the state DMV website and keep it in my glove compartment, in case I get hassled.