window tint question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007 | 12:17 AM
00 TL

window tint question

Hi for those who have their windows tinted, how does it work? do they just stick a film of tinted material it and let me melt on it? and im thinking of tinting my back windows? any pros and cons (the place i live is pretty hot ~90degress and i park on the street)? and around how much should that run me? Just want to know a little before taking it to a shop.
Old 08-17-2007 | 02:16 AM
Pimpin' Student

I'm in socal and I got my car done for $160 for 3M films. Not sure how to explain all of it but the guy who did my car was sprayed something and then put the PRE CUT films on the windows and then use some tools to slide the fluid and bubbles out. After it's all done you have to leave your windows up (do not roll down for 1 or 2 days) and then all the bubbles will gone. It's very hot here in socal and my car is SOOO much cooler than before.

I got 35% front and 15% all back

hope this help
Old 08-17-2007 | 03:52 AM
2Poor 2Furious

no worries about how hot it gets and whether the tint can take the heat. pretty much look for a good place - eg: you know someone who got their car tinted there - and get tints with a lifetime warranty. pro's are obviously that your car will stay cooler, and your leather will not dry and crack. con's are that its harder to see at night if you get really dark limo tints. prices are usually less than 200 for all the windows including the front driver's and passenger's, although its more expensive in Cali. and be sure to ask them how they plan to do the "dot matrix" at the ton of the rear windshield. some places don't know how to do it, and it bubbles up, or they can put a black strip up there to cover it up.
Old 08-17-2007 | 08:00 AM
pwnage

I got all my windows tinted for 130$ at 15% with a life time warrenty. All they do is spray this water/glue solution on the inside of the window (and if you are watching them do it you will cringe about how much they get all over the inside of your car) and then they put the film up to the window and cut out a rough estimate of how much they'll need. After that they simply cut it down to size like sinkung said and then use a rubber putty spreader looking thing to get all the excess fluid an bubbles out. Once they are done they ask you not to roll your windows down for 3-4 days but we have a sunroof so that helps a lot ya know? Also, don't lean on the inside of the glass or allow anyone to put any real pressure on it because the film will slide and you will get pissed. Good luck and take pics after it is done!
Old 08-17-2007 | 08:12 AM
Just chillen..

Originally Posted by wasup1357
Hi for those who have their windows tinted, how does it work? do they just stick a film of tinted material it and let me melt on it? and im thinking of tinting my back windows? any pros and cons (the place i live is pretty hot ~90degress and i park on the street)? and around how much should that run me? Just want to know a little before taking it to a shop.
You wont get melted on it, lol however some area's do it a little different than others. A private shop takes a roll of tint depending on what percent you want, and cut the tint into the glass shape, put the solution on it and tint away. Other shop has big machines that will cut the tints. It all depends, but for the most part its the same. here I got 5% all around

However know what your doing with the law, I however don't give a damn and got 5% because FLORIDA weather suxs! The darker the tint, the more it cools the interior and protects it too ( leather, dash board ).

Old 08-17-2007 | 09:06 AM
Burning Brakes

when you get it done, have them take out the rear brake light and do the whole back window. it looks way better then having the cut out. llumar and 3m are good quality films
Old 08-17-2007 | 09:26 AM
No He Can't

And try to take it to a good shop and get a quality job so they can get the back window done right. The defrost lines and little dots are hard to get the tint around.
Old 08-17-2007 | 09:40 AM
Suzuka Master

yea make sure u go to a quality shop...i get my tint done for 70 bucks lol and its always top of the line work...but i know the ppl who own it...they charge like 130-175 depending on what kind of tint u want and how dark and the # of windows...i jus got a work order for my tint so i had to take it off..i dunno if i want 35% again or 20% i just redid my whole interior in black suede so i dunno?
Old 08-17-2007 | 04:46 PM
00 TL

thz guys,
1. im thinking of tinting the back windows slightly but not the front windows (i heard its illegal in cali to have front windows tinted. any1 did that before?
2. how dark should i go? I dun wanna get it too dark that i cant see well at night or attract cops
3. Any1 noe any good tinting shops around san diego?
thz!~