Window Tint and Navi

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 08:04 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Window Tint and Navi

I was thinking of tinting my car with 35% all the way around, but I am concerned it might screw up my navi. I thought i remember reading a while back that tint can screw up the navi and mess up the positionl. Any info that can help with my decision will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2002, 09:50 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think it was only metallic tint that had any possible effects...but from what I've read you shouldn't have any problems. I can't speak from experience since navi isn't available in Canada. Hopefully someone with tint and navi will come answer your question.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:33 PM
Instructor

I've had my TL-S for about 4 months now and I got metallic tint and never had any issues with my navi.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:14 AM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by sqamar95
I've had my TL-S for about 4 months now and I got metallic tint and never had any issues with my navi.
...but a few people have had problems with their navi (don't remember who).
Old 04-10-2002, 03:35 AM
Advanced

ive had 35% tint all around for about 6 months now..
no problems with my navi whatsoever..
-nick
Old 04-10-2002, 12:10 PM
Pro

I have LLumar PT 28% metallic tint. No problem with Navi. Just make sure the tint guy doesn't cover up the anttena portion in the rear glass, and you shouldn't have any problems with the Navi.
Old 04-10-2002, 01:02 PM
Intermediate

I seriously doubt any tinting can do cause problem for Navi (GPS). I happen to have pocket pc gps with anteanna kept inside storage bin between front seats. It never had problem with signals on neither my Accord or G35. (Accord tinted 35/5 titinum, G35 tinted 15 titinum) Since your anteanna is located at windows, I can see how it can cause problem.
Old 04-10-2002, 01:37 PM
Team Owner

I would stay away from any Metallic tints.

Although some say there are no problems, why take a chance?
Not to mention REAR RADAR detection is reduced too.
Somewhere on the V1 website I remember Mike Valentine talking about it.

I think it is tint BRAND specific. Some are worse then others, but they all reduce signal somewhat.
I’m scheduled for my tint job in two weeks and I’m going with NON-metallic like I had on my last CL.

Shawn S
Old 04-10-2002, 01:50 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had 35% non-metallic all around for about a year now and have had absolutely no problems. The guy who did my tint said he typically stays away from metallic films unless the customer insists on it. Navi interference along with radio reception problems on cars that have the antenna printed on the glass (TL is one of those cars) is the primary reason he shys away.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Okay just got back from getting the car windows retinted.
I had posted a couple of times that I had to take my 51% tint off the side windows to pass Washington D.C. Inspection. D.C. has stupid laws when it comes to tint. You can only have 70% on the side windows & 50% on the rear glass. SUVs & Minivans can have factory tint except drivers & passenger front windows. I had got the TL tinted 2yrs ago when it was new. This was my first time to go to inspection with this car. I had the sides retinted this mourning. They do not use Metallic Tint at that shop. The windows were done the 1st time with 51% Madico Tint & he gave my the life time warranty. This time they put Johnson window films
on the sides & I got 45%. I had a talk with the guy that owns the Ziebart were I got the tint done. Since I had the TL done there before 2yrs ago & also had my 94 ACCORD done when it was new.
He said he gave the lifetime warranty but others most likely would not. He said he used Metallic tint a few years ago but quit.
He said most good tinters do great on the side windows with metallic tint. Its the back window were you have problems.
I asked him how good was the dyed vs Metallic he said its very good. He said it also depends on the manufacture. He said mine should last 6yrs with no effects. I ofcourse have to take the sides off again in 2yrs. The rear will stay on if I have this car I also had the tint on my ACCORD rear window for 6yrs & it should no signs of fading. He said before that smoking does effect the tint & I don't smoke. www.johnsonwindowfilms.com
Old 04-11-2002, 09:38 AM
Intermediate

Posted before, but here it goes again:

I've got 35% Madico metallic graphite tint on my car. It does affect the NAVI, but it still works.

Before I had the tint, using the "secret" navi menu, I had 5 satellites when I turned the car on, and it would find the other 3 withing 30 seconds tops.

With the tint, I have 2-3 satellites when I turn the car on, but it finds the other ones, usually all 8 still, but it takes a little longer, maybe 60-90 seconds. I will drop down to the yellow bars a little more often than when I had no tint.

Despite not having the satellites immediately, our cars "remember" our last position, and the gyroscope does a pretty good job of keeping track of where we go.

One thing you can try is to have your tinter lay a piece of tint across the driver side of your rear window (that's where your GPS antenna is) and see how much that particular brand/metallic level affects your navi. That's what I did and my tinter had absolutely no problem with doing it.
Old 04-11-2002, 01:42 PM
Advanced

no metal, no problems

Three years with my '99 Navi and going on 2 months with my new navi. 35% tint on both and no navi problems, and I use it alot.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:48 PM
Racer

I just got my windows tinted with Formula One all metal film, no dye. The darkness is 18% and I had it done on the front and back sides and rear window.

I have no problems with the GPS.

If you live in the Orlando Area check out Flying Window Tinting in Longwood on 17-92.

Something about getting your windows tinted....it just feels like a different car!
Old 07-13-2003, 09:48 PM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have my car with 35% non metallic tint since September 2000, --no problems on my navi.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:29 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
navi and tinting

Manus, I thought of this too before having mine done and an email from American Honda said don't do metallic tint. I told the tint place and he said no problem, we'll use metal type on the sides and non-metallic on the back light. The metallic type is for better heat reflection qualities and doesn't change the asthetics of the tint. I had it done 2 years ago and see no difference in the navi or radio signal. Hope that this helps you. QR
Old 07-15-2003, 05:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by CKacura
Just make sure the tint guy doesn't cover up the anttena portion in the rear glass, and you shouldn't have any problems with the Navi.
Huh? Please elaborate--IIRC the GPS antenna is located nowhere on the rear glass, but below/beneath the rear deck; if you're saying not to use metallic tint on the glass because that's where the GPS antenna is located--this is incorrect. OTOH--if you're saying not to use metallic tint on that portion of the glass where the GPS signal would pass through--fair enough, although the rear window tint might look kinda funny with the seams visible due to using at least two pieces of tint film to work around the GPS signal reception issue...
Old 07-16-2003, 03:58 AM
Racer

This talk is all a non issue. Metalic tint and the Navi not working is all hearsay. Get the metalic tint and be happy...it will work and I standing proof that it works.

Unless you hear from someone else with TL that put on metalic tint and the Navi got messed up. And then you need to ask them the brand that they used and don't use that. I used Formula One 100% metalic and it works.

I don't understand posters to this thread that comment on having gotten non-metalic tint and their Navi works....duh!

PS - I covered my back window in aluminum foil before I got my metalic tint done and the navi worked. Although it wasn't a conclusive test, I was mearly just experimenting.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:17 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by galfert
This talk is all a non issue. Metalic tint and the Navi not working is all hearsay. Get the metalic tint and be happy...it will work and I standing proof that it works.

Unless you hear from someone else with TL that put on metalic tint and the Navi got messed up. And then you need to ask them the brand that they used and don't use that. I used Formula One 100% metalic and it works.

I don't understand posters to this thread that comment on having gotten non-metalic tint and their Navi works....duh!

PS - I covered my back window in aluminum foil before I got my metalic tint done and the navi worked. Although it wasn't a conclusive test, I was mearly just experimenting.
The NAVI antenna is inside the trunk ... Which is made of metal. So why would using metallic tint mess up the signal anyways? Radio reception MIGHT be altered since the dot matrix on top of the windshield is used as an antenna for radio, but thats all!

I have Formula One Ultimate (metallic) tint as well and have no problems with the navi.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Squidboy
Posted before, but here it goes again:

Before I had the tint, using the "secret" navi menu, I had 5 satellites when I turned the car on, and it would find the other 3 withing 30 seconds tops.

what is "secret" menu and how do get to it?
Old 09-19-2003, 03:17 PM
Racer

Originally posted by LiQiCE
The NAVI antenna is inside the trunk ...
You sure about that? Check Helm manual. I thought it was up where the back window meets the roof.