Wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2001, 08:42 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wind noise

I expected better from Acura but at highway speeds I hear wind noise from somewhere near the front doors. My nissans and toyotas didn't have any wind noise issues. This problem reminds me of my oldsmobile cutlass that I used to own. That thing was loud as heck... Must be american made car syndrom...
Old 07-06-2001, 09:12 PM
Instructor

You must be paranoid or something. Just crank up the tunes and cruise! What are trying to get some sleep or something....Where have I read that before??
Old 07-06-2001, 09:17 PM
Instructor

Sorry Happy,
I just had to do that based on your response to my post. But seriously, I think the increased wind noise is due to the very quiet cabin. You tend to hear things you normally would not such as squeaks and creaks. My old Integra had no wind noise whatsoever. That's because you could not hear anything over that ear popping engine. It's all relative. Maybe a $50K Lexus will be quieter, but for 20 grand more it better be!
Old 07-06-2001, 09:22 PM
Bada Bing

I'd have to agree with Acuraboy. You're probably picking up on things that you've never heard before b/c you weren't able to hear them over engine hum or tire noise.
Old 07-06-2001, 10:28 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Acuraboy
But seriously, I think the increased wind noise is due to the very quiet cabin. You tend to hear things you normally would not such as squeaks and creaks.
Wrong. I had a '99 3.2TL and it had much less wind noise than the '02 3.2TL-S I now have. Why should I hear squeaks and creaks at all? They shouldn't be there.
Old 07-06-2001, 10:38 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by imax

Wrong. I had a '99 3.2TL and it had much less wind noise than the '02 3.2TL-S I now have. Why should I hear squeaks and creaks at all? They shouldn't be there.
imax, I'm noticing intermittent wind noise on my 1-month old TLS around the driver's door seal. Is this what you're hearing? I think my door's weatherseal isn't seating quite right.
Old 07-07-2001, 08:27 AM
Instructor

When I first picked mine up I was very impressed because it was so quiet. Now after a couple of months I'm noticing more and more wind noise in the same area. I figured it was the big box like mirrors.
Old 07-07-2001, 08:28 AM
Instructor

BTW.... What the hell is wrong with PHOTO POINT?????
Old 07-07-2001, 11:42 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by RX-72ATL-S
When I first picked mine up I was very impressed because it was so quiet. Now after a couple of months I'm noticing more and more wind noise in the same area. I figured it was the big box like mirrors.
It's not the mirrors. Actually, the 2002 mirrors are quieter than last year's. I think it really is the rubber door seal that's not seating properly. I've asked my passengers if they can hear similar noises in the passenger door, but they can't hear a thing. I think it's just because the driver's door gets used so much more.
Old 07-07-2001, 06:16 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by daverman

imax, I'm noticing intermittent wind noise on my 1-month old TLS around the driver's door seal. Is this what you're hearing? I think my door's weatherseal isn't seating quite right.
Hard to tell but I don't know what else, exactly, it could be. I folded down the driver's door mirror and drove it around like that and the wind noise did not diminish or change so I would have to assume that it is a door seal issue. I discussed it with my dealerships customer relations person and she said that they had done five TL driver's door seals for wind noise.
Old 07-09-2001, 01:09 AM
Advanced

Angry

I totally agree with all of you about the wind noises. My 89 Toyota Supra won't get this kind of wind noise until it hits about 90 mph.
Old 07-09-2001, 10:48 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by daverman

I think it really is the rubber door seal that's not seating properly. I've asked my passengers if they can hear similar noises in the passenger door, but they can't hear a thing.[/B]
I have the same problem with my car. The one I originally test drove was mouse-like quiet. Mine has had the wind-noise problem since the beginning. It seems to be coming from the driver's door seal. I had the same problem with my '93 Accord Coupe. One trip to the dealer fixed it.

I'm just about ready for my first oil change (currently at 3200 miles). When it goes into the dealer next week, I'll have them fix the seal, the seat belt, the window recall, change the oil, squeaky moonroof, etc.

I absolutely LOVE this car, in spite of a few annoyances!
Old 07-09-2001, 10:54 AM
Pro

My car is very quiet unless I open the sunroof cover. I'll have the dealer fix it when I do my oil change.
Old 07-09-2001, 02:26 PM
Instructor

Same thing with me

I have the same problem, but I can't figure out whether it's coming from the door seal or the window seal. I had the dealer take a look at it, and they did this tape test thing and said that there was nothing wrong. In fact, they said that the wind noise was coming from the mirror, which I'm positive that it's not. I think when I take it back for the next maintenance, I'll have them look at it again.

Speaking of other noises, the sunroof tape thing that the dealer applied fixes the sunroof rattle noise. I haven't heard a creak from it since. One other noise that I can't locate is coming from the instrument panel area. This one is driving me nuts, and since it only happens over bumps, the dealer couldn't find it.

Otherwise, after 10k miles, no problems, and still love the car.
Old 07-13-2001, 12:10 PM
Instructor

Having the same problem on the driver's side and I am certain it is the window area. As a matter of fact it is in the lower half of the back edge where the window tracks inside the rubber channel. I used a length of rubber hose to listen around the edges on the outside of the car with everything closed up and with the ventilation fan on high. This way you can hear any obvious air escaping and it is definitely obvious in this area.
Is this a general build problem on some of our cars? I am still trying to resolve this with the dealer. Later.
Old 07-13-2001, 12:21 PM
Pro

photopoint

This site now wants money if you link the pictures. So, most people just post their pictures on other site.
Old 08-13-2001, 04:29 PM

I have wind noise (more like a whistling noise when going around 70mph + or - 5 mph depending on wind conditions) coming from the same area, driver's side. I took it into the dealer and they took both front and rear driver's side door apart and resealed everything. That didn't fix it, but not only that they didn' align the doors properly so you have to slam it shut, which cut open one of the weathe strippings.

Their service managers are reasonable and nice, but this dealer must have some lousy techs.....

A week after I got my car I took it in for a hand car wash, and they ended up putting hairline scratches all over the car. They fixed it, but I'll never let them wash my car again. - again lousy techs.
Old 08-13-2001, 07:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
I have the noise that Daverman is talking about. Not sure if it is the door seal or window seal. Its very minor, but since I had the sunroof creaking taken care of the cabin is now dead silent. Just to put it into perspectivbe, this noise was so minimal that it either popped up afterwards, or was present the whole time and I never realized it, but its annoying none the less and will post on any progress I make on isolating and hopefully curing it.
Old 08-13-2001, 09:56 PM
Drifting

Well, to give you guys an update, I got rid of the weatherseal wind noise and creaking. I noticed one day standing behind the car that the driver's door and the rear driver's side door are misaligned. They stand about 1/8" ajar compared to the body line. The doors on the passenger side are completely flush.

I brought the car into Superior Acura and the service manager fixed it by slightly unscrewing the strikers (those metallic loops on the door jambs), and bopping them inwards with a rubber mallet. We repeated the exercise several times until the doors were sitting flush against the body line.

Guess what, it worked. The door now seals properly, and the wind noise and squeaks are gone.
Old 08-14-2001, 12:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Wind noise

Originally posted by happy
I expected better from Acura but at highway speeds I hear wind noise from somewhere near the front doors. My nissans and toyotas didn't have any wind noise issues. This problem reminds me of my oldsmobile cutlass that I used to own. That thing was loud as heck... Must be american made car syndrom...
I was thinking about this issue too and you can't win either way.

You'll have to explain to an Acura Service guy that you are hearing wind noise at 50MPH and up. He will either tell you that it's normal or he can't hear it. And do you really want that Acura Tech guy to take out your TL Type S on the highway and gun it to over 50MPH to check for windnoise. He's have fun and adding more miles to your car.

Only way is to crank up those tunes or just talk really loudly over the wind noise. At least you are not in a wind tunnel! HA!
Old 08-14-2001, 08:28 AM
Drifting

Re: Re: Wind noise

Originally posted by acuraguynj
You'll have to explain to an Acura Service guy that you are hearing wind noise at 50MPH and up. He will either tell you that it's normal or he can't hear it. And do you really want that Acura Tech guy to take out your TL Type S on the highway and gun it to over 50MPH to check for windnoise. He's have fun and adding more miles to your car.

Only way is to crank up those tunes or just talk really loudly over the wind noise. At least you are not in a wind tunnel! HA!
Cranking up your stereo is unacceptable in my book! Take the service guy on a ride. Get him to sit in the back seat, drive till the wind noise is apparent, then point it out to him.