Why shouldn't you pump your brakes when you have ABS

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001, 06:24 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Why shouldn't you pump your brakes when you have ABS

I know that ABS pumps your brakes many times per second which prevents your brakes from locking up and gives you better control.

I was once told that pumping your brakes when you have ABS is bad and that when braking you should apply constant pressure to the pedal.

Can anybody give a detailed answer on why pumping ABS brakes is bad?

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2001, 06:45 PM
Drifting

When you're manually pumping your brakes, you are applying the brakes many times to prevent your brakes from locking up and gives you better control. ABS is doing the same thing by automatically pumping the brake pedal for you. So keep it pressed down.

------------------
Y2K SiLVeR TL, non-navi
SLVR TL Homepage Last updated 6/9/01
Old 06-21-2001, 06:49 PM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
How fast can YOU pump your brake pedal in one second? ABS I think does it 10 times per second. Any other questions?

------------------
Honda-Acura.net TL Forum Moderator.

1999 Silver with factory body kit, spoiler and burlwood instrument cluster and shift knob. Joshua Tree Wood dash kit. Hella air horns. Tint all around. Razo competition pedals. MOMO Sport 18"X7.5" with 225/40ZR Pirelli P7000SS. Weapon-R intake. Comptech springs, exhaust and headers. Inspire Tailights, homemade ram-air and Polarg M-12 front turn signals. Comptech front and rear sway bar. Axxis Metal Master front and rear pads. Mugen front grille. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

My AcuraTL Homepage

NEW: '01 Acura MDX Silver Premium

Front 35% tinted windows. Running boards. Roof rack. Tailgate deflector. Moonroof visor. Rear mud guards. Razo premium white headlight bulbs. PIAA yellow plasma ion fog bulbs. More to come later......

Old 06-21-2001, 06:52 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by SLVR TL:
When you're manually pumping your brakes, you are applying the brakes many times to prevent your brakes from locking up and gives you better control. ABS is doing the same thing by automatically pumping the brake pedal for you. So keep it pressed down.

Yep, and when the ABS kick in, you will feel the resistance when press on the brake. If you bump you brake, you might end up hitting the brake while it's releasing brake for you, this won't give you any braking force. And even worse you might end up not pressing the brake hard enough while you should (when the ABS release the resistance)

So, press them down hard!!! Oh and remember to steer of course.
Old 06-21-2001, 07:21 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by AcuraTL:
Any other questions?
yeah, what am I thinking right now?
Old 06-21-2001, 07:33 PM
Drifting

I was told a while ago that if you pump ABS brakes you are interfering with the computer as the computer controls the ABS. It disrupts the computer and makes it reset the braking or something. Anybody know anything about this?
Old 06-21-2001, 10:07 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by SoundSpeed:
I was told a while ago that if you pump ABS brakes you are interfering with the computer as the computer controls the ABS. It disrupts the computer and makes it reset the braking or something. Anybody know anything about this?

Pumping the ABS equipped brakes doesn't interfere with or disrupt the computer. You are simply delaying braking action. The ABS system pumps the brakes 10 or more times per second, far faster than any person could. If you need to brake and steer to avoid a collision, brake hard!
Old 06-21-2001, 10:34 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by SoundSpeed:
When you apply you brakes, the ABS computer start the tracking. It may take 1 to 2 sec before it detect slippage then ABS engages pumping.

If you pump your brakes, you reset that tracking and the computer never have a chance to detect slippage hence ABS is not engaged.

So if you have ABS, keep the brake padel down and don't pump. And remember, ABS takes longer distance to stop then conventional brakes. The ABS is only good for maintaining control so you can steer out of danger.
Old 06-21-2001, 11:09 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Acura TL NJ:

Pumping the ABS equipped brakes doesn't interfere with or disrupt the computer. You are simply delaying braking action. The ABS system pumps the brakes 10 or more times per second, far faster than any person could. If you need to brake and steer to avoid a collision, brake hard!
Yep, remember, "Stomp and Steer".