Why doesn't acura have AC cooled seats?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2001, 12:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm sure it wouldn't cost that much more in response to what TLwiz said

this would definitely bring ACURA a step up tho. sharing the title of having cooling seats with benz. giving acura an even more of luxury characteristic, that is what acura is trying to do right? to be the luxury class of honda in american ... as Toyota and its luxury line Lexus.. Honda and its luxury line Acura
Old 04-10-2001, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Thumbs down

merceds and sab do offer a cooled seat. the mercedes s-class has it as a 4,000 dollar option. the seats have preforated leather and there is a fan in the base of the seat the blows air though it. Kinda expensicve if you ask me

------------------

2001 Emerald Green w/ Navi

Mugen Exaust (thanks Samson)

live life to the fullest you only go around this crazy world once
Old 04-10-2001, 12:13 PM
Burning Brakes

The new Lexus LS430 has them
Old 04-10-2001, 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

be hella nice if acura has them..

i'm sure it be made affordable.. as TLwiz stated...

i don't know how you all feel but when it gets hot and knowing i have to come back to a hot simmering leather seat and i'm LITTERLY sticking to the seat, isn't great at all.. i'd rather spend a little extra not 4000 extra as the benz, but a little extra just knowing that when i come back their won't be a hot seat that sticks to me waiting for me.
Old 04-10-2001, 01:15 PM
Pro

It isn't $4000 in the SAAB or the S-class, that's for sure. Also, I heard Cadillac offers it on one or two models too. I think that a 'Cold Weather package' for saw $2000-3500 would be worth it, and vice-versa for a 'Hot Weather package.' They could be heated and/or cooled seats, heated mirrors, larger washer fluid tank, auto open sunroof (like Audi) in hot weather, autorear sunshade, side sunshades, etc, etc, etc.

I would pay the extra as a 'package.' And just FYI, the cost for the Mercedes is only $1960 for the S430, and $1460 for the S500, and is INCLUDED in the S600 and S55 AMG models, NOT $4000 as stated above. These are dealer prices from their list: my best friend sells Mercedes and I have a copy of his list.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by TLwiz on April 10, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-10-2001, 01:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,138 Posts
Be careful what you wish for. Have you seen one of those cooled seats? Lots of little fans in there. You guys get pissed at a little creak in the dash, wait until you have one of those fans humming on your ass.

I bet that would be an expensive ass repair, plus you get to watch the guy tear apart your seat to replace the fan.
Old 04-10-2001, 01:57 PM
Banned

I guess I think of a fan as making something "not as hot" as opposed to cool. I was trying to picture a little AC unit within the seat itself (hehe!), but a fan would be kinda nice so at least you wouldn't fry your a$$ off So how much do these car manufacturers offer cooled (fanned) seats for? Lots of varied prices listed. That's why I like the TL's -- they come loaded. It's all or nothing (except for the NAV). These other car makers have tons of add-ons that jack the price up from base. Acura could add all the extras on the TL's that other makers have on their cars, but then the TL wouldn't be $30,000 and below. Just my silly opinion
Old 04-10-2001, 02:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Cooled seats in MB are actually cold, as opposed to just fans. It's a sophisticated system, and uses electronic cooling heat pumps instead of plain ol' compressor coolant like in a freon A/C system. Electronic coolong is similar to those ice chests that plug into a cigarrette lighter to cool your food.

Costs major bucks, but would be nice.

FWIW, I live in Texas and the A/C does a good enough job for me already; I don't get sweaty in the butt.

However, I would like a heated steering wheel for those cold months, and such an option wouldn't cost much.

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, wood and Whistler
Old 04-10-2001, 02:10 PM
Pro

Cold seats can cause temporary numbness, compromise fertility, disrupt nervous sensation to the lower back, pelvis, and lower limbs, and may cause constriction of the dartos fascia surrounding the scrotum. In severe cases, frostbite may develop. Sorry - too many books...
Old 04-10-2001, 02:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys the price of the TL would have been alot more. Remember our cars are Entry Level Luxury cars. Prices for the TL-CL & Type-S models range from 28K-34K. With that option we would get up in the $38,000 range or more.
The new RL will probaly have them & it my filter down to the TL later.
Old 04-10-2001, 02:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Man.. I'd hate to let one rip when that fan is going off. Gonna distribute the scent nice and evenly across the cabin.

------------------
Old 04-10-2001, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by v_i_s_i_o_n:
Why doesn't ACURA make AC or cooling seats? something to that degree

I definitely know southern states would appreciate AC or cooling seats.. because it is mostly warm or hot!! most of the year!! we LITERALLY stick to our leather seats!!
lol! I was thinking the exact same thing as I drove home from school this hot, humid day.
Old 04-10-2001, 10:41 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
It's pretty bad up here in Canada. I freeze my ass off during the winter, and burning my butt off during the summer. Damn, they better offer the Canadian Package with both cold/hot weather package....
Old 04-10-2001, 11:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Post Why doesn't acura have AC cooled seats?

Why doesn't ACURA make AC or cooling seats? something to that degree

i mean they have Heated seats.. wouldn't it be the same for AC or cooling seats or something similiar?

I definitely know southern states would appreciate AC or cooling seats.. because it is mostly warm or hot!! most of the year!! we LITERALLY stick to our leather seats!! where as northern state are usually cooler and cold so i understand heated seats.. so why not have something for southern states that would GREATLY!!!! benefit the southern states.. cause heated seat for southern states is only good 2 months out of the YEAR!!!...

just a thought.. so if any ACURA personell is reading this thread.. why not also have cooling seats for southern states? which is needed more then heated seats!! plus you would be leading in designing cooling seat... i don't know of any other car makers (lexus, benz, bmw, and etc)having this as part of there cars, bring ACURA a step up and closer to fullfilling customer needs and satisfaction

------------------
00' Acura 3.2TL Nighthawk Black Pearl
- 18's Lowenharts LGM Chrome (3 piece)
- 225/40 NT555
- Factory Kit
- Factory Spoiler
- Apexi N1 WS coilovers
Old 04-10-2001, 11:36 PM
Racer

Thumbs up

couldnt tell ya why they decided not to make cooled seats. But I do believe that the perferated leather in the CL is supposed to serve the same purpose (almost positive).

But if it doesnt then they should at least have the AC seats in the RL, it costs enough.

------------------
00 Blk TL
Ebony Int.
No Navi.
Modified Tenzo SRI...
Old 04-10-2001, 11:38 PM

Wink

What about, umm....'shrinkage'.

------------------
-------------------------
2000 Satin Silver 3.2 TL w/ Navi
http://andrew.icansp.com
  • 18'' Konig Tantrums w/ 225/40 Yokohama Parada Asymmetric
  • Comptech Springs
  • AEM Cold Intake
  • Comptech Exhaust (on order)
  • Deluxe Video Navi Kit (in my near future)
Old 04-10-2001, 11:48 PM
Banned

I honestly don't see how seats could be cooled without getting into some hardcore devices. It's a lot easier to add heat to something than it is to take away heat. If it is possible, then the TL price may have been above the price range desired by Acura. Also, condensation might result which would affect the electronic compnents within the seats. Do any other cars have cooled seats?
Old 04-10-2001, 11:51 PM
Racer

Originally posted by ArN 2000 TL:
What about, umm....'shrinkage'.
Well you see...texas is known for "BIG" stuff and is no exception to that...so shrinkage isn't a problem. Hahahaha

------------------

2001 3.2TL with Nav
Satin Silver Metallic
Factory Rear Wing Spoiler
Old 04-10-2001, 11:54 PM
Pro

There are many other manufacturers who offer cooled seats: SAAB & Mercedes come to mind right away. I know that there are others that even offer it in the rear seating, but those cars are crazy money. It is NOT expensive to add it on the assembly line, but the perf leather is required. It is not an AC type unit, but rather cooling fans which draw the heat away from the seat surface.
Old 04-11-2001, 12:03 AM
Instructor

Hell yeah especially in Houston, we just ent from winter straight to summer! its already hot as hell.
Old 04-11-2001, 12:22 AM

Angry

A far less expensive option for cooler seats and less stick in hot weather is cloth seats. I would have gladly paid the same amount for the vehicle if they had offered a model with a cloth option. I know it wouldn't be as "luxurious" and might hurt the resale value.

I don't know about the rest of you but I bought my car for myself, not the person I plan on selling it to in 10 years. Every dealer I spoke to had said others wanted it but so far I don't see Acura listening to consumer demand.
Old 04-11-2001, 12:28 AM
Instructor

Thumbs up

Next best thing : Remote start. Have the thing all cooled off before you get in it. Been using remote starts for 5 years - cool in the summer, warm in the winter. Just my .02.
Old 04-11-2001, 12:53 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by TangoLima99:
Next best thing : Remote start. Have the thing all cooled off before you get in it. Been using remote starts for 5 years - cool in the summer, warm in the winter. Just my .02.
good idea tango! what alarm system are you using?
Old 04-11-2001, 03:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by drbeatty:
Cold seats can cause temporary numbness, compromise fertility, disrupt nervous sensation to the lower back, pelvis, and lower limbs, and may cause constriction of the dartos fascia surrounding the scrotum. In severe cases, frostbite may develop. Sorry - too many books...

LOL! funny guy, right? or are you for real? in either case, still funny as hell
Old 04-11-2001, 09:27 AM
Pro

i personally wouldn't get the option if it was available...i mean i have the auto start and the remote windows...so it's all good when i get to the car anyway...plus i don't want to pay the ridculous price which Acura would charge for something like that...and living here in MN my seats are cooled for free 6 months out of the year...
Old 04-11-2001, 10:24 AM
Burning Brakes

some of us aren't fortunate with warm summer and cool/cold winters yearly with little or no humidity.. which heated seats are of great use

here in Houston and pretty much TX and most coastal southern states.. its FREAKING!! HOT!!!.. its HOT already with 85 degrees and mad humidity, and this is the not even the beginning!.. you add in 100+ degree temp plus LOTS!!! of Humidity ( it feels like 120+).. your car is FREAKING SCORCHING HOT!!.. i can cook BBQ ribs in my car! anyone want some?

having a cooling package would be nice =)

In response to drbeatty:

Hot seats may cause burning of human flesh in worst case 3rd degree burn, burning particularly the buttocks, scrotum, lower back region, complete denaturing of fertility (due to heat), hot and cold flashes after leaving seat that or you burnt a hole in your pants, obessive seating from your buttocks, lower back, legs (very attractive) if those arnen't burnt yet, may experience hot urination as a result serious complecation may occur, obessive urination may also occur due to dilated vessels (better hope no vessles pop)... more research is in the process...
Old 04-11-2001, 10:44 AM
Banned

Originally posted by boe_d:
A far less expensive option for cooler seats and less stick in hot weather is cloth seats. I would have gladly paid the same amount for the vehicle if they had offered a model with a cloth option.
I totally agree. The upkeep is less and cloth can at times be MUCH more comfortable. I know that first gen TL's had the option of cloth or leather sets, but I had no choice as I bought the TL used.

Old 04-11-2001, 12:19 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

LOL, know you know why I got an LX which has the cloth seats! Clothes seats don't get hot like leather ones do. I lived in Houston for 8 years and Lafayette for about 16 years, and the summer SUCKS!

This may sounds really stupid, but having plastic on the the seat belt connector is the best thing ever! I can't tell you how many times I burned my fingers in my 85' Oldsmobile Cutlas Supreme trying to buckle my seat belt because the entire fastener was metal!

What I want more than a cooled seat, is a cooled steering wheel! Even with sun shades, the steering wheel gets so freaking hot you have to use your shirt just to touch the wheel with burning your hand!

------------------
Brian =B-)
2000 Accord LX V6 Sedan White - 3,310 lbs w/ driver - 171HP & 160ft/lbs
- Koni Yellows & Eibach Pro-Kit (1.5" drop)
- Red AEM Short RAM Intake (8-10hp & 5-6 ft/lbs gain on a DynoJet)
- Red AEM Tru Power Pulleys (10hp @ 5,600rpms & 11ft/lbs @ 4,600rpms gain on a DynoJet)
- Denso Iridium Spark Plugs (3HP & 7ft/lbs torque increase in peak power)
- Jet-Hot coated CompTech Headers
- 15.45 @ 88.8mph (Track) [with AEM intake/pulleys] 0-60mph 6.9 sec (G-Tech) [with i/h/p]
Old 04-11-2001, 01:43 PM
Pro

Originally posted by BNut:

What I want more than a cooled seat, is a cooled steering wheel! Even with sun shades, the steering wheel gets so freaking hot you have to use your shirt just to touch the wheel with burning your hand!

Oh believe me, the Honda Inspire steering wheel with the wood inserts gets scorching on even a mildly warm day. I have to grab around it, but its worth the pain in aesthetics
Old 04-11-2001, 01:46 PM
Pro

Originally posted by v_i_s_i_o_n:

In response to drbeatty:

Hot seats may cause burning of human flesh in worst case 3rd degree burn, burning particularly the buttocks, scrotum, lower back region, complete denaturing of fertility (due to heat), hot and cold flashes after leaving seat that or you burnt a hole in your pants, obessive seating from your buttocks, lower back, legs (very attractive) if those arnen't burnt yet, may experience hot urination as a result serious complecation may occur, obessive urination may also occur due to dilated vessels (better hope no vessles pop)... more research is in the process...
Ahh yes - the Leatherman-Scorchrear theory, originally postulated by Dr. Harry Hotpea...

Old 04-11-2001, 01:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

This whole heat problem is one of the reasons the first thing I did with my TL is hustle it over to the tint shop. Got 20% tint 20% mirror.. about a 30-50 degree difference in the summer sun.. really REALLY keeps it cooler once it's been sittin in the mall parking lot. for $250, I think it was worth it. It's illegal, but hell.. it's gunna protect the leather.

------------------
1998 BlackCurrant Accord EX4 Coupe (Watson)
35% Tint, full Honda front Mask,
Polk Dx all around, Alpine 353, 2xMTX 10"
2000 Laguna/Fern TL (Sherlock)
20% Tint / 20% Platinum, otherwise stock.
Old 04-11-2001, 11:05 PM
Instructor

I have the Avital AviStart 3300 http://www.avital.com
It is a combination alarm/remote start - part of the Clifford/DEI family. Excellent results so far.
Old 04-12-2001, 05:31 PM

Question

I know this sounds silly but doesn't anyone know of a good place in Southern California to get the seats changed to cloth?
Old 04-12-2001, 10:25 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Asian style here in SoCali, we dun really wear shorts, well at least us older asians don't so sticky seats have never been an issue for me, but my gf on the other hand, she has problems when she's sporting daisy dukes, so, I just use a towel then...