whhhyyyyy!!? Check engine light suddenly came on...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 10:47 PM
Kang Ho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whhhyyyyy!!? Check engine light suddenly came on...

I was driving back home after work today and....check engine lights come on!!! what in the world I havent taken my car to the mechanic yet...but does this mean that my transmission is bad?? The previous owner said he didnt have any tranny problem...when I bought the car 1 month ago, nothing seem to be wrong. But now it has a check engine lights. When I turn off the car and turn it on again, it's still there. Has this ever happen to you?
Old 09-29-2006, 10:57 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The check engine light (CEL) can idicate a variety of problems, some small, some large. It can be as simple a insufficiently tightened gas cap.

Buy a code reader for as little as $50 or take your car to a mechanic or even Autozone.

Most likely it has nothing to do with the transmission. So don't sweat it until you get the code read.

Bob
Old 09-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Kang Ho

I pray that it's something small too. What do you mean take my car to Autozone?
Old 09-29-2006, 11:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He means that Autozone will run a diagnostic test with their computer and tell you why the check engine light is on......they do it for free.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:22 PM
Drifting

Yes, thanks for explaining that.

Bob

Originally Posted by toowetTL
He means that Autozone will run a diagnostic test with their computer and tell you why the check engine light is on......they do it for free.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:17 PM
Kang Ho

Well I went to Autozone like you guys said, but the guy their said that they dont do it for free. They will charge me $170 for the equipment, then when I return it, they will credit me $170. I keep asking if they can do it and they said no....Well after 20 minutes trying to look where the damn data port is.. I was unsuccessful. I went through my manual. I did however reset the maintanance require light. I also read in the manual about check engine lights and like Bob_F said it could be as easy as a loose gas cap. The manual said even though you tighten it, it may take 2-3 trips for it to go away. So I went and tighten it up.

I went into the store and ask for help. The manager sent one of his worker out. He wasnt able to find it either, lol. So he had to look into the computer and it said it's behind the ashtray. We went out and I look....I thought the ashtray was the little red tray next to the 12V outlet. I was like...there's no way it could be here and thought..dont tell me that I need to take out the dashboard to see it!!? Then 5 minutes later, I just grab something under it and pull it out. It was there; the data port!! The worker plug the machine and tested it. It said "PASSED, NO ERRORS CODE." I was like.... He tried it again and same thing came up. So I turn on my engine and both the Maintenance require and the check engine was gone. I dont know what the hell happen....When I press & hold the Select and Reset button, did that also reset the check engine light? Or maybe when I tighten the gas cap, that made it go away? But the manual said it would take 3 trips to go away....Whatever it is, it's gone!! I'm glad it was a tranny problem. Thank god I didnt need to spend $2k just after driving the car for 1 month. Time to save up

Thanks for the info Bob_F and toowetTL. I really appreciate it.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Just chillen..

Well whateva the problem was, its gone.. When you press both those buttoms together, my TCS light went away and Maintenance light went. It couldve been the gas cap, but whateva, wait till it comes again ( God forbid ) and then we'll see. Take it easy..
Old 09-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

What gas have you been using? I had that issue a couple of weeks ago and it was caused by bad gas
Old 10-01-2006, 12:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
It may comeback after you drive about 50 miles or more.(Hope NOT) Since you may have reset the code with diagnostic test without really that you done it. Reason i can say this is Because i have diagnostic test scan at the shop. I have found out that our TL has 2 main problem when the check engine light come on.
1. Is the O2 sensor
2. The Catalytic converter

Good Lucky Man
Old 10-01-2006, 01:14 AM
Kang Ho

Originally Posted by CL Platano
What gas have you been using? I had that issue a couple of weeks ago and it was caused by bad gas
Nothing but the best. Shell V-Power!! As long as gas is below $3.00, then this baby get premium. If it goes up...well..we'll see about that. Yes I do hope that the check engine light doesnt go on. You mention 1. Is the O2 sensor 2. The Catalytic converter. How much does those cost to fix?? Well so far today, I already driven ~35 or so miles already.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SupaRookie
Yes I do hope that the check engine light doesnt go on. You mention 1. Is the O2 sensor 2. The Catalytic converter. How much does those cost to fix?? Well so far today, I already driven ~35 or so miles already.
O2 sensor is about $85 (e-z to installed) and Catalytic converter is 150-200 and about 50-100 to installed

If you only worry about emisson not passing an don't have money right now. You can drive 45+ mph for about 50-75 mile an get emission done an pass with flying color. An fixed your problem later.

Sorry ONLY reason I'm saying this is Because i have a friend with 2000 TL that alway come by month with-in his B-Day an use the diagnostic test scan to reset his check engine light. B/c he don't worry spend money fixing them little problem to him just to pass emission. This has been going on for the pass 4 years Hopefully 1 day he will fix it

His problem is that he has bad Catalytic converter
Old 10-01-2006, 02:07 AM
Kang Ho

Wait I dont get it. Are you saying that if I use an equipment that test what the engine light on means, it reset it every time?? Even though it has not been replace? I guess it's call a diagnostic test?
Old 10-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Cruisin'

glad it went away. Usually when you use a diagnostic computer, you actually have to tell it to clear the light and trouble codes. What you did with the select & reset button must have cleared it before connecting the diagnostic computer. At any rate, the light is gone now so don't worry about it.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Wait I dont get it. Are you saying that if I use an equipment that test what the engine light on means, it reset it every time?? Even though it has not been replace? I guess it's call a diagnostic test?
You can alway turn off the check engine without fixing the problem, but it will alway come back on later. Reason people do reset the check engine light is for Emission an when trade in there car.

Originally Posted by toowetTL
glad it went away. Usually when you use a diagnostic computer, you actually have to tell it to clear the light and trouble codes. What you did with the select & reset button must have cleared it before connecting the diagnostic computer. At any rate, the light is gone now so don't worry about it.

Old 10-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Drifting

From time to time my wifes cel comes on, in her 2000tlp for no apperent reason. What i do is disconnect the ground battery cable, wait like 30 sec & then reconnect it. Clears the cel. Its kind of a pain because she has to reset the radio with codes, but it takes care of the problem. Me with my 2003tls the cel & vsa came on, resetting the cel with the battery would not work. Came to find out it was a bad O2 sensor. The stealership replaced it for free. Not by their choice, but they are forced to by the EPA. That particular part is warrantied to 70K. Many other emission related parts are covered by the extended warranty @ no charge to customer. Make sure you check before you pay the stealer anything that is emission related.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by seattle dale
From time to time my wifes cel comes on, in her 2000tlp for no apperent reason. What i do is disconnect the ground battery cable, wait like 30 sec & then reconnect it. Clears the cel. Its kind of a pain because she has to reset the radio with codes, but it takes care of the problem. Me with my 2003tls the cel & vsa came on, resetting the cel with the battery would not work. Came to find out it was a bad O2 sensor. The stealership replaced it for free. Not by their choice, but they are forced to by the EPA. That particular part is warrantied to 70K. Many other emission related parts are covered by the extended warranty @ no charge to customer. Make sure you check before you pay the stealer anything that is emission related.
Next time just pull the clock backup fuse. you wont have to reset any thing
Old 10-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Kang Ho

Alright this is not cool. I was driving back from work and the engine lights comes on AGAIN. I went to Autozone and use their machine and 3 error codes come up...

1) Manufacturer control auxiliary emission

2) Manufacturer controlled transmission

3) Manufactured control auxliary emission (same as #1)

What the hell is going on here? Please help. How can this car have any problem with the emission control? The day I pick up the car, I went and took it to a gas station and have it smog check. Everything pass except when he was testing the pressure on the gas cap, it failed. He said the owner need to replace it and toss the original away. He even show me the screen and it had a big "FAILED" on the gas cap. I was surprise that you need to test that. All the other time I did a smog check, the technician never test it. Is that some kind of new procedure? I'm pretty much speechless now.....any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:28 AM
Kang Ho

No takers?
Old 10-04-2006, 07:22 AM
Drifting

Here are a couple of suggestions:

1. Search the 2nd Gen forums for each of those three codes. There's a very good chance that these codes have been discussed previously.

2. Try a Google search of the three codes individually. If you get too many hits add "Acura TL" to the search.

3. Take your car to a mechanic that you trust and let him (or her) figure it out.

Good Luck!

Bob

No takers?
Old 10-04-2006, 10:38 PM
8th Gear

From the shop manual P1456 Leak Detected in EVAP Control System. Fuel cap,
Purge control solenoid, or Bypass Solenoid Valve.
P1739 Transmission 3rd clutch pressure switch.

Hope this helps John.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:26 AM
Kang Ho

Sorry for being an idiot...I forgot about the search functions. I gotta find that bastard who threw away the original gas cap because he said it was leaking.....
Old 10-05-2006, 01:40 AM
Kang Ho

I did a search on P1739 and not much came up. So for the P1739, I just need to replace the 3rd clutch pressure switch? Guess it's time to see the tranny man after this week. Anyone know any reliable tranny shop in San Jose??
Old 10-05-2006, 06:39 AM
Instructor

P1456 Code

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troub.../bl_obd_14.htm

P1739 Code

P1739 Problem in 3rd Clutch Pressure Switch Circuit
Old 10-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Hey Supa, PM me, I'm in Cupertino and I might be able to give you a hand.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:17 PM
...::AOA::...

one of those codes seems to me like your tranny is gonna be on its way out....my CEL and TCS lights came on and a week later tranny blew up....i didnt get them checked because i thought it was and O2 or something....it wasnt. but that last description of the code sounds familiar when mine blew.

good luck
Old 10-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Kang Ho

Damn...that's going to suck ass!!My dad is going to go crazy on me if he finds out that I might need to replace a tranny after ~1.4k miles....Even though I can use my money from work to pay for it.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:38 AM
...::AOA::...

acura might goodwill you into a new one...the replaced mine free of charge and paid for a rental...
Old 10-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Intermediate

I have the same issue with my car . it thows P1457 and I have been driving it like thiss for a year now. :0
why P1456 and P1457 translate to the same error "leak detected in the EVAP control system" ?
Old 10-06-2006, 01:25 PM
9th Gear

My check engine light came on just before I got home about a week ago also. I have a 2003 TL, and had just bought the car (used). I took it the next day back to the Honda place I bought it from, and the guy checked the code, and said it was transmission related, and since the car was still under warranty, they told me I had to take it to the Acura dealership. The closest to me at that time was like 25 miles away--now there's one that's across the street from the Honda place I bought it from, but they didn't open until Monday this week. Darn it.

Anyway, I drop the car off, they get me a loaner (after waiting for 4 1/2 hours for one to show up), and a WEEK later, they tell me the car's ready. Apparently there was a strange failure in the transmission, and they had to order a part for it. In the midst of fixing the transmission, they also discovered the engine mounts were bad, so they replaced those as well (also under warranty). The car drives much better now, but I'm kind of concerned about the longevity of the car. I had an Accord before, and before it's transmission started dying, I had put 167k on the car. This one has 34k and it's already having transmission issues. I think I'm taking it to the Acura place to have every maintenance done until the warranty ends next year. Just to make sure anything screwy will be caught.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Kang Ho

I dont know about you....but I wouldnt drive around with a check engine for a year. Another check engine might come up and you wouldnt even notice it. I could only hop e Acura dealership would do something about it (hopefully it wont cost me an arm or a leg). I bought the car used from someone, and it has about 96,600 miles or so. I'll take it to the dealership and see.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:00 PM
Kang Ho

Ok, I have come to a conclusion. Every time when you press the Reset button when you have a CEL, it makes the CEL go away....So does that mean the previous owner kept resetting his CEL and sold me the car with that problem... But I drove it for almost 1K miles until the light comes up. What a bummer! I told my friend who drives an Acura Legend and he said just take out the connect for CEL