Where to jack up the car in the rear?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where to jack up the car in the rear?!?

So I was jacking up my car in the rear with a hydraulic jack, and I wasn't sure where to jack it up at. I searched and found a thread that said on the piece that has the tow hook. Well, I did that and I bent it and whatever is above it. Is that the gas tank? Or a cover around the tank? F#%#@$#@#$@$#@$$@!!! I went and re-checked the thread I found and it's for the 3rd gen TL I think.

So, where *do* I put a jack, and how badly did I mess up my car?
Old 07-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I've jacked it up on there 3 times and it did not go in. I have a 2nd GEN TL as well. It goes to the spare tire. If the spare tire popped up then use a rubber mallet and bang it back out. It works.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Drifting

Take some pictures and post it.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Agean Blue Bishes

i jacked it up from the lift point infront of the rear tire or the lower a arm mount or w/e its called.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Drifting

Maybe someone should take pics of all these spots and post em. I was wondering if there was another jack point in the rear that can lift both sides at once. I had seen someone lift car from much deeper towards the middle of the car past the tow hook.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:51 AM
Advanced

Looks like the spare tire is indeed pushed up a bit into the trunk space. Nice. I'll post some pics later.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bxscig
I've jacked it up on there 3 times and it did not go in. I have a 2nd GEN TL as well. It goes to the spare tire. If the spare tire popped up then use a rubber mallet and bang it back out. It works.
I'm just curious - if it worked without denting for you, how do you know about the rubber mallet trick? And if a rubber mallet can bend it back, how could it possibly be strong enough to hold the back end of the car up in the air?
Old 07-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by snorman
I'm just curious - if it worked without denting for you, how do you know about the rubber mallet trick? And if a rubber mallet can bend it back, how could it possibly be strong enough to hold the back end of the car up in the air?
lol I have been the idoit as well I jacked it in the center of the spare tire... I was TOTALLY not thinking and it slowly kept sinking until I noticed it about 5 to 10 mins later.

I had thought I TOTALLY screwed it up but my brother grabbed the mallet and started whacking

You are not alone
Old 07-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by snorman
It appears the tow hook is ok, its just that for me the center of the spare tire wasnt. I've used the tow hook 3 or 4 times since for a while. Problem is that since that part is so high, my jack cant lift it that high compared to the front.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Any place that doesnt bend
Old 07-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Advanced

OK so you need to place the jack right on the tow hook? What a pain in the ass!!! I put it right at the lowest part of the piece of metal the tow hook is attached to, apparently right under the spare tire.

I thought for sure I f-ed something up really really bad.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

The tow hook is the correct spot
Old 07-10-2006, 05:15 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Jack Points for Rear of 2nd Gen TL

Since I was underneath the car today, I thought I'd help out with some pictures so that people wouldn't screw up their cars or jack it in the wrong areas

Don't try to jack it up underneath the spare tire/wheel area! It looks strong but it's NOT and certainly not enough to withhold the weight of the car especially with both sides of the car up. It will just crush in the metal.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Without the Wood Block and especially if you have a small, inadequate jack with those small platforms, I don't think it's enough to disperse the weight of the car and you'll probably end up bending/twisting the Tow Hook.

[IMG][/IMG]
Be Warned... Look How Thin the metal is on this crossmember in the the picture. I Would NOT jack it up on this beam; Never tried it nor do I wan't to find out as I am sure it will crush the metal beam tubing, especially if you have a small jack with those small jack dish/platform plates.

[IMG][/IMG]

Car Successfully Jacked Up!
Have a nice day. I am sure this will help others I've done this way of jacking at least 20 times and no problems!
Old 07-10-2006, 05:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

YUP.. I totally agree with micahael.

He actually jacked up my car a couple times to do some work.

Thanks taking your time and being so nice to post this up for all of us.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Senior Moderator

To be safe i would ditch the block of wood, take the rubber insert out and use the jack that way. (less likely that it would slip off the jack causing more damage)
Old 07-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fsttyms1 ,

Thanks, I'll keep your idea in mind as it's certainly valid for consideration .

Concerning working safely, what did come to mind wasn't the idea of the block slipping off ,since there's a huge amount of pressure applied squarely to the wood block and the jack dish platform if carefully centred, but rather the wood block splitting in half. For my particular jack, the dish platform for jacking the car up isn't very deep to hold the tow hook, and from what I remember when I first tried to jack up the car without the wood block, the tow hook did in fact bend/twist as some of the people claimed happen to them also. Certainly the tow hook is a very strong area, and "supposedly" an approved jack point according to manuals or to what some members have said, but the huge amount of weight and pressure over such a small surface area of the curved tow hook ( with just tow hook only and no block) is enough to make it bend/twist; then you'll have to go to the bodyshop and get it realigned or in worse case scenario, rewelded.

Anyways, this question has been asked before so the pictures are up for any others who want to comment regarding jack points and what the underneath rear area looks like according to the pictures to illustrate their experiences or failures.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Senior Moderator

uea the wood splitting would be a concern, along with the hook sliding off would be the biggest concern i would have. If while jacking up the jack wasnt rolling forward while lifting it would be harder to notice with the block of wood than with out. Also the block of wood doesnt reall spread out the lifting area at all making it less hard on the hook.