What's the fastest car you've ever beaten in your TL-S?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 04:25 AM
NA1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What's the fastest car you've ever beaten in your TL-S?

just wondering..
Old 06-01-2001, 10:43 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

YUGO

------------------
'02 Acura TL-S
Satin Silver/Ebony, w/out NAV
Old 06-01-2001, 11:05 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Check out this previously posted topic.

http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/001206.html

------------------
Those who know, don't talk.
Old 06-14-2001, 10:18 PM
Instructor

Yesterday on the way to work I raced, and actually beat a mustang GT. I started behind him and he kicked it so of course I did the same. The two cars seemed to be about equally powered. Admittedly the stang was a "meek" mid 90's probably 2v 4.6, although I could tell he had an exhaust system. But back to the race. The next light we stopped at I turned off traction control, did a slight brake stand to get the revs up, and basically embarassed a 50 something year old who thought he had a v8 musclecar, in my 4 dr 2002 tl S-type,I am the previous owner of a mustang cobra, and currently own a 69 fastback w/built 302 (and yes it will blow the doors off a type S) but it is built for drag racing and won't handle or stop worth a damn, my point is I am a Ford fan as well as Acura so I didnt make this story up.
Old 06-14-2001, 11:40 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Let's see would it be the BMW M Roadster or the Porsche Boxster?

Well the M Roadster was the fastest and the Boxster was the most fun because the guy was showing off and was added to my fender badge collection. You know. The way Snoopy added planes to the side of his dog house when he shot down the enemy.

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 12:01 AM
Instructor

Thumbs up

Thats a couple of high end cars, you've dealt with, congrats. I have only had my S-type for slightly over a week, other then the mustang, I have succesfully raced an early 90's eagle talon tsi (which he admitted wasnt stock) and a Benz E420 which was stock (of course) but was still fast as hell.

Old 06-15-2001, 12:42 PM
Instructor

yeah, we've been over the M Roadster a couple times. I think the general consensus is that there's something fishy about that particular "kill". Here is San Diego, we're overrun with riced out civics and tegs. For a while I raced all of them who wanted to, but it got old, now I don't even waste the gas.

------------------
2002 Aegean Blue TL-S w/Navi
Chrome CL-S wheels, H&R OE springs, tint, K&N drop-in

2000 VW Passat Wagon
Old 06-15-2001, 12:54 PM
Racer

Boxster is a piece of cake....but m roadster?
Was the guy sleeping?

Originally posted by Ruf87:
Let's see would it be the BMW M Roadster or the Porsche Boxster?

Well the M Roadster was the fastest and the Boxster was the most fun because the guy was showing off and was added to my fender badge collection. You know. The way Snoopy added planes to the side of his dog house when he shot down the enemy.

Old 06-15-2001, 01:09 PM
Racer

anyone raced a Bimmer 330i or 300Ci before? I wonder whos gonna win cuz the 330 only has 225hp but its a RWD.. and its a Bimmer....
Old 06-15-2001, 01:18 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
The VP of HR at my company has a brand new 330i and I have extented an invitation for a quick sprint but he has yet to agree. When and if he does, I will let you know.

------------------
Those who know, don't talk.
Old 06-15-2001, 01:47 PM
Lead Footed

You Guys.

Just because a car specs out better doesn't mean they win every time.

I sure that their were all sorts variables in the race. There are in every race.

Not sure how many of you have been racing as long as I have, 25yrs for the record. But I know that the car is only part of the equation.

So question it while you may, but it was a confirmed kill. I doesn't matter that the M Roadster is technically a few tenths of a second quicker on the spec sheets. That's too little of a difference from my experience to guarantee a win for the M every time.

The again, if you guys aren't beating faster cars from time to time you should work on your racing skills.

RUF

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 01:59 PM
Lead Footed

BTW - one more point on the M Roadster.

I'm betting that it's main performance advantage is off the line. And that from a 50MPH run the advantage is less or even equal.

Has any ever seen what the M Roadsters 50-70 times are? That may help us clue in on whether that was a big factor between the cars, or if the bigger factor was in the drivers.

I will go out on a limb and boast that I can usually make up around 1/2 sec based on my experience alone.

Ooh I can feel the heat now.

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 05:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 90 Posts
I have not seen 50-70 numbers for the M, but I did a quick check of 0-60 times for the M Roadster and the TL Type S. There were a range of times for each vehicle at the websites I checked:

M Roadster: 5.0 to 5.6 seconds
TL Type-S: 6.2 to 7.0 seconds

I drive an M Roadster and have test-driven the TL Type-S, and I find it hard to believe that it would hang close at any speed. The M simply has too much torque and too much horsepower in such a light car. Add to that the manual transmission, the fatter tires, and the race-tuned suspension, and the ONLY way I could see a TL beating an M under any road conditions is through driver superiority. But remember, this is hardly a fair comparison! Put an Integra Type R against an X5 3.0 and see who would perform better!

------------------
Why doesn't everybody make cars as well as Acura?
Old 06-15-2001, 05:29 PM
Racer

Yes it is. My wife whips my ass every single time.

Originally posted by Ruf87:
You Guys.

Just because a car specs out better doesn't mean they win every time.

I sure that their were all sorts variables in the race. There are in every race.

Not sure how many of you have been racing as long as I have, 25yrs for the record. But I know that the car is only part of the equation.

So question it while you may, but it was a confirmed kill. I doesn't matter that the M Roadster is technically a few tenths of a second quicker on the spec sheets. That's too little of a difference from my experience to guarantee a win for the M every time.

The again, if you guys aren't beating faster cars from time to time you should work on your racing skills.

RUF

Old 06-15-2001, 06:05 PM
Lead Footed

Okay . . . Uncle!

So let's agree to disagree here. The M Roadster has better specs (waiting for 50-70 times) and the driver was a putz.

But like I said on another post. Getting a kill out of one you should have lost is still a kill. It can be very satisfying when you got someone who buys themselves a fast car and automatically thinks they can beat everone just because of that. I wonder if it makes them go back to the dealer and complain that their M got beat by an Acura.

I'll have to find another one and see what the results are and I'll post it win or lose.

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 07:07 PM
Advanced

If you find a 50-70 time, you have to verify that it wasn't a top-gear time. I see the magazines post these results and it makes no sense. You have the 5 speed in 5th gear, where automatics downshift.

My guess is the guy in the M car simply wasn't pushing it (ie. not trying to win) or they were REAL dumb and had the car in too high of a gear. The M Roadster is WAY faster than a TL-S.

I'd like to hear the details of this race. If it was a straight line, I'd really like to hear about what type of 'skill' was required on your part (with an automatic transmission).

-Scott

Old 06-15-2001, 08:14 PM
Lead Footed

Wink

Originally posted by sboje:
If you find a 50-70 time, you have to verify that it wasn't a top-gear time. I see the magazines post these results and it makes no sense. You have the 5 speed in 5th gear, where automatics downshift.

My guess is the guy in the M car simply wasn't pushing it (ie. not trying to win) or they were REAL dumb and had the car in too high of a gear. The M Roadster is WAY faster than a TL-S.

I'd like to hear the details of this race. If it was a straight line, I'd really like to hear about what type of 'skill' was required on your part (with an automatic transmission).

-Scott
Scott -

Go back and read my post on the various shift modes for the TLS. D5-vs-SS-vs-D1. It showed a range potential of more than 1/2 a sec.

So if an MR times are from 5-5.6 and you assume 5.6 as the worst potential with a really good driver from a trade rag. And now add the potential differential of the driver and your MB is in the 6+ range to 60. Now consider that every car has its bad spots at certain speeds. So even the mighty MB is vunerable.

Go try runs in your TLS at different speeds. You'll find out that it will be faster at some than others. That's because sometimes your peak HP and torque range varies with the RPM. So if you catch the MB when its HP and torque are at its lowest and your are at your best, you have a chance.

This may not make sense if you aren't really a drag racer or a true car guy. Sorry to be blunt about that, but I know what I did and you can either take my word for it or not. But the facts is the facts. And by the way, he really wasn't trying, that's why he only pushed it past 115+MPH.

And so what if the guy was a putz. He had the MB and blew it. That's embarrasing because your right in that he shouldn't have lost.

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 08:43 PM
Lead Footed

Guys, the ones who can't believe me or that it could ever happen. Let me ask you a question.

Have you ever been to a real drag race event and or participated in one?

If you have you will know that the fastest qualifier or fastest street class car doesn't always win. Those of you who've been or done it will know why. And you will also understand how it was possible for the M roadster to lose. Those of you who haven't, well I'll never convince you otherwise. You'll just have to go and learn for yourselves. And enjoy it while you're at it.

If you're ever going to be in the Dallas area send me a private note and I'll be glad to demonstrate the different results in where you make a run and how you shift. I'm being serious about this. There is a difference and you can actually hook up the G-Tech and see the results in person.

Did I say G-Tech? Yes I did. Should this opportunity ever present itself to one of you. I'll by the G-Tech and if I'm proven wrong it's yours. If I'm right, you pay me. Fair enough? Just send me a private post and well do it. I may even buy you a drink afterwards.

So until then, I'm finished with this debate about the M roadster. So let's move on to some fun.

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 11:14 PM
Cruisin'

In LA on a weekend trip, I had a tangle with a MB AMG C36. We started at a stoplight on Pico, and both ended up on I-10. He had a slight pull on me, but couldn't get away - and he backed down at 120... that was fun.
Old 06-15-2001, 11:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 90 Posts
In every topic about racing somebody points out that it's as much the driver as the car, so I'll take that responsibility this time.

Porsche Boxster: That car's not much faster than a Miata, so that's not too impressive.

M Roadster: The only way a Type-S would beat one is if the Bimmer driver really sucked!

------------------
Why doesn't everybody make cars as well as Acura?
Old 06-16-2001, 03:23 AM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
Two Races, Two Kills
1.) 95 Impalla SS
2.) 98 M3 4-door AUTO (That one was for $$$...and it was a close race!)

------------------
2002 Satin Silver TL-S With Navi
Xenon Plus Fog Light Bulbs
Old 06-16-2001, 12:35 PM
Lead Footed

Originally posted by 2k2SilverTL-S:
Two Races, Two Kills
1.) 95 Impalla SS
2.) 98 M3 4-door AUTO (That one was for $$$...and it was a close race!)
Nice Job! I'm envious of you.

Especially the M3. I'm sure he expected to whip you.

RUF

------------------
2002 TLS WDP w/Ebony interior
Formula 1 35% Premier Tint
Old 06-16-2001, 12:52 PM
Pro

Cool

Ruf87, that's the way to tell 'em. So many people just don't understand that it is the DRIVER that makes the difference when cars are closed matched. I have almost always beaten cars that I was not supposed to (on paper) because I could out-drive the other guy. Most of these people have probably never raced on an actual drag strip using a tree. It's a shame that all the strips are gone, except for professional racing.

------------------
'02 TL-S WDP/Parchment NAV
Old 06-16-2001, 01:17 PM
Lead Footed

Originally posted by lonny:
Most of these people have probably never raced on an actual drag strip using a tree. It's a shame that all the strips are gone, except for professional racing.
Big Sigh on that last item.

One this about street racing is it is a little more difficult than with a tree. With a tree I can tune out the other guy and focus on getting my launch right.

With a street race you have to worry about the other drive's skills, will he take you out, or someone else. You really have to watch the road and be ready for all the potential situations that may come up. And the big one is the launch. For me it is trickier than with a tree. No timing or rythm. That said, because the drag strip controls are gone you can take some control yourself. Since most of my street races are not from a standing start because the opportunity doesn't always lend itself to it. So on a "punch" race, I will try in goat the other driver in to my prime HP/torque bands. For the TLS I find 30 and 50 to work best for me.

That's about 4700-4800RPM. VTEC Power that is. Maximum acceleration. (Said to the tune of the Beverly Hillbillies)

The last

------------------
2002 TLS WDP w/Ebony interior
Formula 1 35% Premier Tint
Old 06-19-2001, 09:55 AM
Instructor

TLS is really fast car. put on your first gear it goes up to 40 miles and 2 nd gear can go up to 60 miles, when you hit 3rd gear you are about to 80 miles very easily.. and after 80 mile go for 4th gear.. it can easily go up to 100 miles less than 16 seconds..then you release your 5th gear for the rest after 100 miles.. remember higher peak RPM is very important, i usually ends up at over 5000 to 6000RPM. and sport shift is lot faster than Auto. I can probably make less than 6.2 seconds for hitting 60 Mile. Trust me, it can easily kill most of street car out there.

Currently i killed, BMW 318 (BMW 318 is pretty slow in the start and they end up losing), Audi A4,Maxima 99.
Old 06-19-2001, 10:47 AM
Instructor

Can anyone tell me how these matches are, after adding the thousand dollar headers from comptech?..i believe that boosts HP up to 292 or something..how close are these races then?

-jyang411

i'm thinking about doing the headers...or.. should i go for the springs first?
Old 06-19-2001, 02:29 PM
Instructor

beat a type r with i/h/e. 98 m3 stick, audi s4, 2001 mustang gt, 97 mustang gt, eclipe gst boosting like 10 pounds

------------------
2001 cl type s
voltage blue, comptech headers, 18 inch ssr agle strusse rims,(painted voltage blue and achrome polished lip) custom iceman intake, pioneer avx 7000 tv, playstation 2, slammed on nex suspension, cross drilled rotors, nos fuel pressure regulator, greddy evo exhaust, (on the way level ten torqe converter and b&m tranny cooler) april 16 taking car to dealer getting 3.5 liter upgrade(mdx crankshaft, mdx rods, shaved heads, port and polish intake manifold, modified dome topped pistons.compression ratio 10.85:1
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1335581&a=9936626&p=46258064&Sequence=0
Old 06-20-2001, 05:49 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Terminology:

Fast means top speed
Quick means acceleration capability/

Example:

My 1995 M3 was quicker than the TL-S, but the TL-S is faster (148 mph vs. 137 mph)

Recess is over.
Old 06-20-2001, 07:44 PM
Advanced

Talking

well i did kill my friends mustang. a 2000 maxima, 1996 ford thunderbird, 1994 3000gt sl. the hardest one was with the 3000gt sl because it had some nice stuff like exuast and probely a intake.
Old 06-22-2001, 02:26 AM
Intermediate

I like hill Climbs! Especially the silly, sleeper ones. Last week I followed a 325ci west of denver for 40 miles as he weaved and raced, and I just held to a calm,steady 80. I pulled up to him on a steep grade at 80, 3rd gear, teased him to 90 and when he thought he had a chance I dropped the hammer to 115 and was long gone!

Another reason to lose the Type S badge, the sleeper factor!

Old 06-22-2001, 04:51 AM
Intermediate

Seems that when this type of questions, most of these cars mentioned are older (late 90's) cars. Should we really be proud of that?