Whats the BEST leather conditioner out there?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 03:05 PM
TRELOS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whats the BEST leather conditioner out there?

I gotta know whats the BEST leather conditioner out there? I know that Zanio is (supposibly) the best car wax, now what the best leather conditioner. Lexorol seems to be the best cleaner for leather. But what are the main ingredents that I should look for in a conditioner?
Old 09-04-2001, 03:27 PM
Drifting

I've never used Zaino's leather products, though I am curious about them.

I use Lexol's pH Cleaner and Conditioner. They do a fantastic job, but have no "leather smell" like Zaino's products do.
Old 09-04-2001, 04:45 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
All the best ones use lanolin - a natural oil found in sheeps' wool.

Lexol is fine.

Connolly's Hide Food (used in Rolls-Royce)
Meguiar's Medallion for ALL Leather (what I use)

Stay away from silicone rich stuff such as the tire dressings.
Old 09-04-2001, 05:07 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where's The Conditioner?

Dude,

Yeah...I used that Hide Food stuff yesterday to treat my dad's Benz. The stuff has the consistency of soft butter. It works well but it's a total pain in the ass to apply! My dad's Benz has perforated leather seats and if you rub Hide Food over it, the stuff gets caught in the little holes in the leather! UGH! I had to use a toothpick to "poke" the stuff out of the the holes! Gee...that was fun.

I like leather conditioners that are in a spray bottle. Less mess.

WARG!
Old 09-04-2001, 05:25 PM
Intermediate

I used the Meguiars Leather Conditioner and it worked fine.
Old 09-04-2001, 05:45 PM
Banned

i used to use lexol but then i tried Pinnacle leather conditioner and its soooooooo nice!!! The leather stays nice and soft.
Old 09-04-2001, 06:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe not the best

But I was "limited" to Meijer's selection yesterday. So, I picked up some Turtle Wax Emerald Series leather cleaner and conditioner. It's also got the consistency of soft butter. At first, I thought "oh sh!t." It turned the leather a lot darker, and was kind of greasy. But after "buffing" with a clean towel, it actually looks good. The stuff was only $5. We'll see how well it holds up with time.

Jim
Old 09-04-2001, 06:50 PM
Banned

I've had my car since May. Should I start conditioning it? I heard once very 6 months is enough.
Old 09-04-2001, 07:20 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stanky Leather

Dude,

I sometimes fart in my car. Since the leather is perforated, do you think my noxious gases will permeate the leather and stink up the cushions below the leather surface?

I hope I don't have to buy new seats in a few years due to my farting. That would suck.
Old 09-04-2001, 09:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Stanky Leather

Originally posted by coffeefingers
Dude,

I sometimes fart in my car. Since the leather is perforated, do you think my noxious gases will permeate the leather and stink up the cushions below the leather surface?

I hope I don't have to buy new seats in a few years due to my farting. That would suck.
Dude, your WACK! I think Walmart has some de-stank for just such a problem!
Old 09-04-2001, 09:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Hide Food is excellent, but it's not a cleaner. Lexol is my choice. Zaino is good too.

Just don't clean the leather too much. It's almost as bad as not doing it at all.
Old 09-04-2001, 09:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ive only cleaned the seats once. I bought the Lexol cleaner/protectant, it worked pretty good. I gotta do it again but ive been lazy...
Old 09-05-2001, 01:14 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've used Meguiar's Medallion for Leather for over nine years. THe seats in my old Vigor looked brand new the day I traded it in. They were black and there were no cracks or tears and I never used seat covers.
Old 09-05-2001, 08:16 PM
TRELOS

MackDaddy DID WHAT!!!

Bro get that shhit off your leather seats. Ok look man I did the same, the exact same thing and someone was grateful enough to give tell me what I'm telling you. "Get that shhit off your seats". I went and got that same 2001 leather shhit and it made my leather darker, and it made my leather greaser, and it made my leather shinnier. And I buffed the crap out of it and got some of that greasy feeling out of it. But that shhit "WILL" crack ur leather. Listen this is what I did, I imidiately went to the local Discount Auto Parts store and got myself Lexol Leather cleaner and followed the steps and got that shhit off my leather. Then I went out and got a REAL leather conditioner, something with no "PETROLEUM" products in it. I now use Pinnacle and so far factory fresh interior, look, smell, shine, and feel. But I does NOT look at all like that Turtle wax crap shine. That heavy petroleum coated grease shine. I looks like brand new leather with a touch of shine. So go do the right thing NOW.
Old 09-05-2001, 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: MackDaddy DID WHAT!!!

Originally posted by Juker008
Bro get that shhit off your leather seats. Ok look man I did the same, the exact same thing and someone was grateful enough to give tell me what I'm telling you. "Get that shhit off your seats". I went and got that same 2001 leather shhit and it made my leather darker, and it made my leather greaser, and it made my leather shinnier. And I buffed the crap out of it and got some of that greasy feeling out of it. But that shhit "WILL" crack ur leather. Listen this is what I did, I imidiately went to the local Discount Auto Parts store and got myself Lexol Leather cleaner and followed the steps and got that shhit off my leather. Then I went out and got a REAL leather conditioner, something with no "PETROLEUM" products in it. I now use Pinnacle and so far factory fresh interior, look, smell, shine, and feel. But I does NOT look at all like that Turtle wax crap shine. That heavy petroleum coated grease shine. I looks like brand new leather with a touch of shine. So go do the right thing NOW.
Damn son, take your medicine! I only did the front seats (used very sparingly) and buffed the he!! outta them afterwards. I think my jeans have taken off the rest! None the less, thank you for the exhaustive insight. I'll get some Lexol, or Pinnacle ASAP.

Jim
Old 09-05-2001, 11:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best leather product, bar none that I have used is Intersport/ Hein Gericke Leather jacket cleaner/conditioner for motorcycle jackets. Bike jackets are constructed of very thick (1.5) leather and if this stuff can keep that soft and clean, well you can imagine what it can do for our much thinner TLS Leather seats.

You may have a hard time finding this stuff, not all motorcycle shops cary it, there are a number of places that you can order it online.
Old 09-06-2001, 12:44 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by bioyuki
I've had my car since May. Should I start conditioning it? I heard once very 6 months is enough.
Yes, clean and condition your leather seats immediately. They come with almost zero protection from the factory.

The same goes for your vinyl surfaces. Run, don't walk, and get Lexol Vinylex and apply it immediately. The vinyl surfaces don't have any protectant on them either.

On my TLS, the vinyl was outgassing like mad and depositing layers of grime onto the glass surfaces when the car was brand new. The moment I applied Vinylex the outgassing stopped, and the grime layer never returned.

Same goes for the leather seats. They were visibly getting drier and drier each day. I applied Lexol's stuff on them and they have been restored to a buttery soft texture, the cracks have disappeared and they seem to be holding up pretty well.
Old 09-06-2001, 03:35 PM
aTL
Instructor

no doubt lexol without a shadow of a doubt.
Old 09-06-2001, 03:49 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

What a minute...

Can someone help me find the real leather in our cars to use Lexol on??
Old 09-06-2001, 03:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: What a minute...

Originally posted by Edub-TL
Can someone help me find the real leather in our cars to use Lexol on??
LOL