What exactly do the moonroof visors do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 10:26 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What exactly do the moonroof visors do?

What exactly is their purpose? Do they reduce wind noise or vibration?
Old 08-30-2001, 10:28 PM
Pro

Red face

They deflect the wind, but in my opinion, they are just plain ugly
Old 08-30-2001, 10:33 PM
Drifting

So they keep wind from rushing in through the moonroof?
Old 08-30-2001, 10:39 PM
Instructor

Ugly they may be..

however they do make it much more tolerable if ya like to cruze with the roof open.. almost no air at all comes into the cabin with one installed.. vibration? maybe a "shudder" of the air currents? if so, ya it stops that to.. Im happy with mine..

but they are over priced!

-also if ya get one, dont leave it on/installed all the time.. take it off for cleaning, & leaving it off for a period of time before reinstalling.. they can leave marks on the paint like a front nose bra/mask.
Old 08-31-2001, 08:03 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
They reduce the turbulence in the cockpit and lowering the wind noise. The only thing is, when you are going 135 MPH, that thing is loud!! But surprisingly, it stayed on for the run.
Old 08-31-2001, 08:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by MB45
-also if ya get one, dont leave it on/installed all the time.. take it off for cleaning, & leaving it off for a period of time before reinstalling.. they can leave marks on the paint like a front nose bra/mask.
Amen to this! My car came with one and I took it off ONE WEEK later and it left a mark on the paint. They had to wetsand the clearcoat and recoat it to get rid of the mark -- just got it back yesterday afternoon. Gotta love that warranty!
Old 08-31-2001, 08:30 AM
Pro

In my experience, they neither reduce wind noise nor reduce vibration. In fact, the cabin is a lot quieter with the visor off. They do however prevent the sun from blinding you when the roof is open. Down here the west sun is horrendous and I encounter everyday coming home from work.
Old 08-31-2001, 09:13 AM
Pro

Question

Is it a hassle to take the visor off and reinstall? The dealer put myne on so I didn't even see the instructions? How long is long enough to keep it off to let the area "breath"?
Old 08-31-2001, 09:19 AM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

I agree.. very ugly. Makes the car look less sleek and sporty.
Old 08-31-2001, 10:30 AM
Instructor

Moon Roof visor makes quiet when drive, it felt lot better driving on a highway. and air hardly comes to your moonroof.
Old 08-31-2001, 10:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I love my visor. Looks good and makes the wind noise tolerable at highway speeds. A good investment. Just my opinion.
Old 08-31-2001, 10:57 AM
Pro

Cool

I also like the visor...but must admit I am worried about the visor damaging the paint underneath. I mean, common, we have enough issues with the paint w/o adding to it (at least some of us TL-S owners do).
Old 08-31-2001, 11:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
If you get one plan on it becoming a permanent part of your car unless you put some X-pel between it and the paint becasue later on you ay not have the option of taking it off unless you want to expose damaged paint. Sand and dirt will still works its way under it and sand away at the paint as the visor moves due to the car flexing or from the force of the wind at speed. Tighten it all you want there is still going to be some flex/movement. Even if you remove it once a week there is still going to be some dirt under it which is going to mess up the paint. And who is really going to remove wash and wax under there on a weekly basis??

I used to have one on my accord and it definitely made the cabin alot quieter with the moonroof all the way open which makes sense since that visor now covered an additional 25-33% of the moonroof opening. In the summer it was great since I could leave the moonroof open a bit since the visor blocked the shade and peoples view that it was open. But after a while I wanted to take it off and I couldnt due to the paint damage. On the TL-S and on my last Accord I just didnt get one, and since the TL-S moonroof tilts up as well, I didnt see the need for it.
Old 08-31-2001, 01:34 PM
Banned

My .$02:

I have one and love it. I had the car for a week without it, and although I love opening the moonroof, the wind from even slow speeds would mess up my 'do and blast rear seat passengers in the face. Now with the visor on I can travel at 80mph on the highway and there is *barely* any wind noise or disturbance in the cabin. If you use the climate control or A/C almost exclusively and never open your moonroof then don't get it. Below I've made a list of what (I think) are the pros and cons of the moonroof visor. I'm sure others will add if I've left something out:

PROS:
1. Drastically reduced wind noise in cockpit
2. Drastically reduced wind disturbance in cockpit
3. Allows cockpit to be vented in hot weather without exposing interior (see below)
4. Visually looks attractive

CONS:
1. Reduces overall size of opening of moonroof by about 5 inches
2. Adds some aero drag to the car (possibly reducing overall top speed--unconfirmed)
3. Serious threat to paint if removed
4. Slight increase in wind noise with tilt feature
5. Visually looks unattractive
6. Difficult to clean under
7. Plastic can scratch easily

Although it seems like there are more cons than pros, I love having mine. One of the biggest pluses for me is #3 above. I park the car in an open lot at work with no shade. I can crack the moonroof a couple inches to allow hot air to rise and escape out of the interior during the day without fear of a bird bombing my nice leather, or even a quick passing shower. Makes a difference when I return to the car 8 hours later.

Like Mr. Hyde pointed out, as for the paint issue, I look at a moonroof visor like a nose bra. If you're going to put one on, fine, but don't plan to ever take it off because there will be visible signs of where it once was, even after a short period of use.
Old 08-31-2001, 04:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Your #3 reason was a big bonus for my last car, but since the TL-S has the tilt feature you can vent the car by tilting the sunroof up also.
Old 08-31-2001, 05:41 PM
Instructor

I agree with that as well, tilting the roof is nice to rid the cabin of excess heat.. but do you open the cover all the way as well?
IMO, that just lets in more sun/heat by allowing sun light to shine through the glass into the cars interior..
The visor works so much nicer in that situation.
On a positive note, I had mine installed for about 2+ months.. took it off for cleaning (visor & Car) and didnīt notice any ill effects. There are no marks/blemishes to be found anywhere.
I wonder if there are any other brands out there that are smaller than the OEM version.. (sitting lower on the roof, and not covering as much of the opening) If so, that would be the one to buy..
Old 09-01-2001, 10:04 PM
Racer

Dealer offered one for free. I passed after test drove one with it. It's personal preference. Do you like it or not.
Old 09-02-2001, 02:26 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by LegendCpeGS
In my experience, they neither reduce wind noise nor reduce vibration. In fact, the cabin is a lot quieter with the visor off. They do however prevent the sun from blinding you when the roof is open. Down here the west sun is horrendous and I encounter everyday coming home from work.
With the roof open, it is much quieter cruising on the hwy. However with the roof closed, there is more wind noise. I installed the visor a couple months a go and that is my experience. The increased windnoise with the roof closed is most pronounced at speeds over 85 mph. Pick your poison.