What brand of gasoline do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2001, 07:37 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
What brand of gasoline do you use?

While it is obvious that premium fuel is required for optimum performance of the TL-S, I was wondering if anyone had a preferred band of gasoline and why they prefer that particular brand.
Old 07-19-2001, 08:11 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mobil - because of Speedpass and because they have the cleaniest and most convenient stations around here.
Old 07-19-2001, 08:16 PM
...and then there was One

Chevron or 76. Got to support those NASCAR guys. But, the Cosco around here is supposed to get a station there, and I hear it is quality stuff, and cheap, so... we will see how that goes.
Old 07-19-2001, 08:20 PM
Racer

Arrow

Shell 93.

Someone enlighten me ... is one better than the other
Old 07-19-2001, 08:26 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Majority (90%) of the times I use Amoco. But if it isn't around then I use Exxon, Shell, or sometimes Sunoco.
BTW, premium only!
Old 07-19-2001, 08:53 PM
Dr. TLS

Does the brand of gasoline really matter as long as i use 93 octane? Someone with some info please let me know.
Old 07-19-2001, 08:56 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

Mobil - because of the Speedpass and the station is right down the street from my house.
Old 07-19-2001, 10:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

Sunoco 93
Old 07-19-2001, 11:01 PM
Banned

92 Chevron with Techron. Anybody know if Techron is indeed good for our engine?
Old 07-19-2001, 11:10 PM
Pro

Wink

I had been complaining about lousy gas mileage of late. However, the last 4-5 tanks have been filled at Costco. I just paid $1.62 for premium. I have not changed my driving habits, but I have noticed that my mileage has improved a bit since I have been filling up at Costco. It's too bad not all Costco's have gas stations. I am saving almost $8 on every tank, or almost $40 per month!
Old 07-19-2001, 11:20 PM
Bada Bing

Sunoco 94
Old 07-20-2001, 12:04 AM
Racer

I use Chervron. Brand of gas matter somewhat. Gas brand A will have different additives than Gas brand B. So i feel its better to you the same one because of that. It also depends on how your car responds to the brand of gas. Some cars run better on some brands than others (also due to the additives.) I had a rx-7 before and used Exxon. I was getting long choking starts as well as bad gas mileage. Once i switch to Chevron, problem gone. Its not going to harm the car if you use different gas brands though....just as long its not cheap gas....they use more water in the gas than the actual gas. But i think its better to stick with the same company to aviod reliability problems.
Old 07-20-2001, 12:04 AM
Racer

A few gasoline secrets...

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I have been in the gas business for over 12 years. I have 4 Union 76 stations in Southern California. While I would love to tell you all that my gas is better than someone else's, the truth is as follows...

GAS IS GAS

Here are some facts:

We are supposed to use a minimum of 91 Octane in our TL S Types. For optimum performance, this is true. Using 92 or 93 or 94 will make no difference, unless you add some mods that would require the higher octane.

As of August 1st, the pipeline premium standard in California (ie, the supply) is changing to 91 octane. Yes, you saw it here first in the TLS Forum, everyone in California is going to be selling 91 octane premium. In case you didn't know, oil companies share this supply throughout the state. The only difference between Mobil, Chevron, Shell, 76 and even some independents including Costco, is the detergent additive that they all promote.

Is one additive better than another? Maybe, maybe not.

Here is what is important. Go to a clean station. If the place looks well maintained, then the gas tanks are probably well maintained as well. Gas pumps have filters just like your fuel filter in your car. A good gas station changes them the way you change yours. If a gas pump is going slow, the filters might need to be changed. Gas should pump at about 6 to 8 gallons per minute. That's about a tenth of a gallon per second if you are watching...

I have much more information than any human needs to know, but I'm sure I will be questioned on what I just wrote, so that's all for now. I'll add some more wisdom if this thread receives more interest.

Remember: 76 with Pro Power is the official fuel of Nascar. If this impresses you (apparently the ad campaigns have been successful) then buy my gas.

Thank you all for a great forum.

Regards,
Jeff
Old 07-20-2001, 12:07 AM
Banned

Why is California suddenly changing to 91 octane? I thought some MB and BMWs required 92.
Old 07-20-2001, 12:10 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I only buy premium and only from Shell, Mobil or Amoco (now BP). 98% of the time I buy from Mobil, the rest of the time it's from Amoco. I have gas cards and speed pass for those two. If neither are around, I'll stop at a Shell. I only shop from those three because of my own belief that I'm assured that I'm not buying a lower quality gasoline. I have not supporting evidence of it, just my own subjective beliefs.

Don't want to start a huge thread where everyone is defending their particular brand of gas.
Old 07-20-2001, 12:11 AM
Racer

91 Octane

I couldn't believe it when I heard it also. Many older vehicles are tuned to 92 octane. Apparently the newer vehicle standard is 91. If I didn't see the 91 octane stickers on my pumps I wouldn't believe it either...
Old 07-20-2001, 12:18 AM
Banned

Isn't 89 being dropped to 88.5?
Old 07-20-2001, 12:18 AM
Banned

and 87 to 86?
Old 07-20-2001, 12:20 AM
Banned

Re: A few gasoline secrets...

Originally posted by Wash n Wax
As of August 1st, the pipeline premium standard in California (ie, the supply) is changing to 91 octane. Yes, you saw it here first in the TLS Forum, everyone in California is going to be selling 91 octane premium. In case you didn't know, oil companies share this supply throughout the state.
Who regulates this supply? Is there some sort of commision/board and is it regulated by the goverment?
Old 07-20-2001, 12:22 AM
Racer

88.5 is just temporary

The reason why some pumps say 88.5 on their midgrade is that some stations blend their gas. 89 is a blend of 60% 87 and 40% 92. When 91 starts shipping, the blend valves need to change to 50/50. If the 91 gets shipped before the techs change the blend valves you will have 88.5 instead of 89. This is just temporary to satisfy the department of weights and measures.

Soon all will be normal, but the three grades will be 87, 89, and 91.
Old 07-20-2001, 12:24 AM
Racer

Re: Re: A few gasoline secrets...

Who regulates this supply? Is there some sort of commision/board and is it regulated by the goverment?
Good question...this I don't know.
Old 07-20-2001, 12:38 AM
Pro

Angry

Are you kidding? The govt has their hands in everything!
Old 07-20-2001, 12:40 AM
Racer

Re: A few gasoline secrets...

Originally posted by Wash n Wax
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I have been in the gas business for over 12 years. I have 4 Union 76 stations in Southern California. While I would love to tell you all that my gas is better than someone else's, the truth is as follows...

GAS IS GAS
Finally! I've been waiting for someone with credibility to confirm what I've always thought. Buy the octane you need from a well maintained station, and you'll be fine. It's always worked for me.
Thank you Jeff.
Old 07-20-2001, 12:46 AM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by 8ball

Finally! I've been waiting for someone with credibility to confirm what I've always thought. Buy the octane you need from a well maintained station, and you'll be fine. It's always worked for me.
Thank you Jeff.
Many thanks to you Jeff. I had always wondered and now I know.
Old 07-20-2001, 04:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by 8ball

Thank you Jeff.

You sure nailed that one. I've gotten burned years ago with the junky low-ball stations. I now use a Shell with OK prices, with good mechanics that is impecibly maintained, and always have avoided pinging, detonation, and dirty gas problems.

The pumps always read right too -- I don't find them on one of those news programs where they rig the pumps or add cheapo gas to the blend!!!
Old 07-20-2001, 07:21 AM
dj5
Burning Brakes

When I posed the question about what brand of gasoline you buy for your TL-S, I was curious, as I have worked for a gasoline company for the last 17 years. I also traded in my 2000 TL for a 2002 TL-S about 3 weeks ago. Liked the TL but love the TL-S.

Wash N Wax is correct for the most part that Gas is Gas and the only thing that makes gasoline different from brand to brand is the additive they put in when they load the trucks that deliver the gasoline.

The difference between private brands (Costco, Happy Stores, etc.) is the private brands usually only add the minimum additive required by the federal government. There were no minimum additives required until recently. The branded gasolines (Chevron, BP, Amoco, Union 76, Shell, Texaco) give a higher dosage of additives. These additives are what keep you engine nice and clean on the inside.

All the gasoline companies use the same pipelines to ship their product and they trade gasoline with one another. So really gasoline is just a commodity product.

The only gasoline brand (grade) that is different is the Amoco Crystal Clear Ultimate sold in the SE and MW. This gasoline is refined an extra step to get the 93 octane and does not require MTBE or Ethanol to boost the octane. Amoco segregates this product and does not trade this product with anyone else.

For the most part, gasoline companies do not stock a mid-grade gasoline. It is a blend of regular and midgrade and they do the blending when they load the truck. Some stations actually blend at the station. Usually the blend is 55/45 or 60/40 (regular/premium).

Water and gasoline do not mix so no one actually adds any water to their gasoline. One tip is to avoid buying gasoline when the tanker is unloading at the station as they stir up any trash or water that may be in the bottom of the stations tanks.

Would be glad to try to answer any other questions about gasoline. Agree with Wash N Wax just go to the stations that you like that are nice and clean. My recommendation would be to stick with the a branded gasoline.
Old 07-20-2001, 09:03 AM
Racer

Thanks dj5

While it is obvious that premium fuel is required for optimum performance of the TL-S, I was wondering if anyone had a preferred band of gasoline and why they prefer that particular brand.

This has always been a great topic of conversation. Obviously dj5 has an excellent undersatnding of gasoline with his long background in the business. What makes it interesting is people's perceptions of gasoline and why they choose one brand over another.

As a retailer of Union 76 gasoline, I count on good publicity and name recognition to sell my product. I can honestly say that my gas is as good as anyone else's. I just can't say for sure if it is any better.

Dj5 is correct that when gasoline is delivered to a station, it could stir up some junk on the bottom of the tanks. While it is unlikely to cause a problem, if there is a lot of dirt in the tanks and the level is low at the time of delivery it is possible. Don't get paranoid every time you see a gas truck, but be aware.

Of course a well maintained site has their tanks cleaned occasionally to avoid the potential for this problem to occur. Also the filters in the pumps should catch any dirt and if some passes through, your fuel filter in your car should get the rest.

MTBE and Ethanol are oxygenates that are added to gasoline to promote cleaner burning and less emissions. Some states like California require these oxygenates to meet clean air standards. MTBE is being phased out as some studies have found some nasty environmental effects from the stuff leaking into underwater ground supplies. So ethanol is becoming the oxygenate of choice.
Old 07-20-2001, 10:34 AM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Wash N Wax is correct you don't have to avoid a station when the tanker is dropping but just something to be aware of that it does stir up anything in the tanks.

However, there should really be no trash in the tanks as it is filter at the terminal before the truck is loaded and again when it comes through the pump. But on a rare occassion, some trash makes it through the system.
Old 07-20-2001, 10:53 AM
Pro

I use 76, Chevron, Shell, and Mobil.
Old 07-20-2001, 12:17 PM
Instructor

I use Mobil 93 99% of the time. The only other gas I will use is Sunoco 94. I'm still waiting for the prices to drop because I pay $2.05 at Mobil . Great info on gas, should be put in the FAQ very useful
Old 07-20-2001, 12:39 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by bioyuki
92 Chevron with Techron. Anybody know if Techron is indeed good for our engine?
I use Chevron 93 octane whenever possible.

As far as Techron being good for the car, I don't know. I do know that Techron is one of the best additives around to help keep your fuel system in tip top shape. But does it harm any of the seals? Can't say for sure.

I have heard that some of the "generic" brands Premium gases are blends that can hurt the seals and such. Usually the cheaper places, but I can't say because I don't have the facts and don't want to make a false statement.

RUF
Old 07-20-2001, 01:07 PM
Burning Brakes

USE CHEVRON!!!

it gives me great performance..and a lot of mileage!!
I got as much as over 350 miles in a fillup!
now it might be even more! i drive lots of local and highways..
i clock the meter again.....so far i drove 175 miles...and not even close to usin up half!!!! amazing....i'll just wait..and see when the low on fuel signal will light up....i am pretty sure this time i can go up to 360 or more... so how much mileage am I getting?
anyone can calculate it?

G
Old 07-20-2001, 05:46 PM
Instructor

You are just wasting your money on high ocatane gas. I get about the same mileage, regardless of octane. I have burned even 87 octane just to test it. The computer readjusts everything according to fuel octane. I use the middle grade of 89. My Tl_type S gets great mileage and had outstanding performance and I was used to driving a Comaro Z-28. I have always owned high performance cars to Corvettes to several 5.O L Mustangs.
Old 07-20-2001, 07:36 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

Wash N Wax for President. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-20-2001, 08:31 PM
Racer

Wash N Wax for President. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the nomination for president, but I am too honest to be a politician.
Old 07-20-2001, 08:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by wv5b
You are just wasting your money on high ocatane gas. I get about the same mileage, regardless of octane. I have burned even 87 octane just to test it. The computer readjusts everything according to fuel octane. I use the middle grade of 89. My Tl_type S gets great mileage and had outstanding performance and I was used to driving a Comaro Z-28. I have always owned high performance cars to Corvettes to several 5.O L Mustangs.

I toss 100 octane in the car from time-to-time (as a half-and-half) mix -- call it 96-98 octane depending on how much 100 I add.

Nobody will belive me -- so this is OK. I did some burn rubber tests on the same street -- now on trial #7. In every trial I got more tire rub at the same spot in the same street. I run the trial before and after the 100 octane is added.

Perhaps it is the "blend" of gas and not the octane -- who knows.

BTW -- I have Toyos that normally don't even set the VSA light on under hard starts -- they are that sticky. With the VSA off, normally I can only get a tiny rub, with the addition of the 100 octane I get an obvious difference in spin. So, if you ever go to the track, you might want to think about a 5-gallon can of some high octane juice. Can I prove it -- no.... Just something for some folks to try (if they want)
Old 07-20-2001, 09:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Chevron or Mobil, I stay away from ARCO
Old 07-20-2001, 09:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by bioyuki
Why is California suddenly changing to 91 octane? I thought some MB and BMWs required 92.
Last time I filled up I noticed that 92 was not available...instead it said 91 Octane for Premium Unleaded, am I missing something?
Old 07-21-2001, 02:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

There are no Mobil or Shell......

I use Amoco or Texaco.........But does it matter? Gas is Gas, now motor oil I will understand, but gas? Oh and I used 7-11 Citgo one time because it was 5:00am and the Amoco was closed and I was on E!
Old 07-21-2001, 09:53 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: There are no Mobil or Shell......

Originally posted by evolaerok
I use Amoco or Texaco.........But does it matter? Gas is Gas, now motor oil I will understand, but gas? Oh and I used 7-11 Citgo one time because it was 5:00am and the Amoco was closed and I was on E!
FWIW and IMHO -

Actually there is. I don't have the specifics, but there are different blends of additives that can effect fuel system hoses and or seals in a negative way. Some blends even use "alcohol" derived from "grains" I heard that some fuel systems, especially injectors don't like it. There were also automotive publications discussing the effects of certain additives on the exhaust systems, specifically the CAT and CO2 sensors.

I remember reading that "Techron" is one of the best fuel additives for keeping fuel systems clean, especially injectors.

Sorry I don't have the references anymore, but if I find them I'll post the source(s).

RUF

Quick Reply: What brand of gasoline do you use?