Is waxing too often bad for the paint?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 04:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is waxing too often bad for the paint?

I waxed last weekend, well I washed the whole car up and down, then dried it with a chamois, then used the 3 step process by maguire's. My question is, I want to get as many wax jobs in as I can before the winter strikes. It seems to be really nice weather, and was wondering if it's bad to do another wax job tomorrow even though one was just done 5 days ago? I know I'm obsessed, but so are many members on this forum!!!

let me know boys!!!

thanks
Old 10-10-2003, 05:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
its pointless to wax alot, unless you wash your car with dawn dishsoap!. 1 wax is usually good for 6-12 months. clear coat is very strong and resiliant to the elements. ill probably get flamed for this but once a year is more than enough, especially if you take care of the car (regular washings)
Old 10-10-2003, 05:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, if anything, it will be better. Just make sure the surface is clean. You might want to do a gentle wash before hand.

I've heard of people doing upwards of 30-50 coats of Zaino. I'll be happy if I get 10 on before winter hits.
So if you can schedule the time, go for it !
Old 10-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wax only once a month, twice at most. It wears down your clear-coat faster :p
Old 10-10-2003, 06:08 PM
Advanced

what about Zymol's cleaner wax? Is that safe to use often?
Old 10-10-2003, 07:30 PM
Rock Star

i wax heavy every six mos and use rain dance quick detail once a mounth the only way u have 2 wax so so often if u live in fla calif etc............
Old 10-10-2003, 08:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I Zaino my car in October and March, and hand wash it (including during the winter! brrrrr) with Zaino Z7 exclusively. In fact, I'm waiting for a fresh supply of Zaino to put on the new '04 before it gets cold shortly.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by SK2003TypeS
No, if anything, it will be better. Just make sure the surface is clean. You might want to do a gentle wash before hand.

I've heard of people doing upwards of 30-50 coats of Zaino. I'll be happy if I get 10 on before winter hits.
So if you can schedule the time, go for it !
you dont need any where that many. any more than 1 or to is just a waste of time. its not going to protect your clearcoat any mor to have 50 than 1 or 2
Old 10-10-2003, 11:22 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I do it once every 3-4 months and has never had a shine/fade problem with any of my cars current or previous, but again my cars are garaged ever night! If its left out in the elements sll night every 2 months might be good who knows.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:05 AM
Pro

WARNING!
You should stay away from cleaner waxes on new finishes.
In places where your car is parked in the heat of the day, or winter, salt and other nasty stuff! ONCE A MONTH!
If you use a detailing mist frequently, longer than once a month! If You don`t use Detailing mist or wax enhancers, START!
Like most NUTS on this forum, I spend between 20-30$ a week on detailing supplies and at least 14-20 hours a week Detailing the love of our life! Oh and the wifes car on sundays. Check out My gallery!
Happy Hunting!
Old 10-11-2003, 08:42 AM
Senior Moderator

im just going to add this. i paint cars, and do it if you want but there is no need to wax that often for most people. happy waxing
Old 10-11-2003, 09:16 AM
New Life

IF you do a good job, by that I mean taking all the water spots and dirt that accumulates during lets say a month, it's not necessary to do it that often, but if you live in an area that is close to the sea for example, you need to it more often.
Also I use the Wax as You Dry product from Eagle One and that leaves the car with enough protection that I don't have to wax the car that often.
Now, at least once a year you should stripped the car from all that accumulated wax because it will in time turn yellow or even crack if you put too many coats.
If your car is garage kept then even better, you don't have to wax as much.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:10 PM
Burning Brakes

yeah, I agree that upwards of 50 coats is kinda overboard. I guess I was just trying to make a point for sc354 that you can put on more coats and it wont hurt your car.
Personally, I do notice slight improvements of layered Zaino up to about 3 or 4. After that the shiney/clearness isn't that noticable. I usually get a good 3 to 4 months of protection out of a Zaino application. It is a daily driver and parked outside.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:38 PM
10th Gear

Lucky you, guys.
It's been 9 months since the last wax. I always have to "beg" my bro to wax my car. My car is always outdoors. This time i convinced some friend of mine. The car looked fabulous... but, then, rain fell all over the place, so my car got that fabulous look for only 30 minutes
Old 10-12-2003, 04:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ziled
Lucky you, guys.
It's been 9 months since the last wax. I always have to "beg" my bro to wax my car. My car is always outdoors. This time i convinced some friend of mine. The car looked fabulous... but, then, rain fell all over the place, so my car got that fabulous look for only 30 minutes
umm why don't you wax it yourself. And here's a great solution to keeping that shine longer then 30 minutes....garage the car!!!

if I know rain is coming in, I freakin throw my mom's POS van out of the garage and garage my baby. The Ford deserves to be outside.
Old 10-12-2003, 05:03 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Bear2Day
WARNING!
You should stay away from cleaner waxes on new finishes.
In places where your car is parked in the heat of the day, or winter, salt and other nasty stuff! ONCE A MONTH!
If you use a detailing mist frequently, longer than once a month! If You don`t use Detailing mist or wax enhancers, START!
Like most NUTS on this forum, I spend between 20-30$ a week on detailing supplies and at least 14-20 hours a week Detailing the love of our life! Oh and the wifes car on sundays. Check out My gallery!
Happy Hunting!
why is cleaner wax not good for new finishes. should i not use it all?
Old 10-12-2003, 05:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by bassplayer
why is cleaner wax not good for new finishes. should i not use it all?
ummm I disagree with his statement. Although a newer finish probably doesn't need as much treatment as an older car, you're still safe to use it. basically it takes off an residue, or particles that could potentially scratch the car or leave swirl marks all over it.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Cleaner waxes of all brands contains some minor abrasives that's why it removes fine scratches. It's sort of like a pseudo rubbing compund with waxes added. Removing scratches should be done prfessionally and not by using an "ll in one solution" product. As Bear2Day said, newer finishes with fresh clearcoats should be careful in using these. Unless you have very noticeable swirl marks and a dull finish, I'd stay away from them. There is such a thing as "too much stuff" on your paint. Some products are even incompatible. Paint "cleaners" are only supposed to be for oxidized or blemished finishes.

Waxing buids up over time especially if you over-apply it. I know 'coz I've seen my cousin's Grand National and he was the OCD type waxing his car almost every week. He had blotches and smudges on the black paint that was only taken off by a pro detailer using an orbital polisher after clay-bar and stripping off the buildup (using plain old Dawn).

If you don't clay-bar the car, you are polishing and waxing over the contaminanants (rail dust, aciad rain resuide, oxidized paint, tree sap, bird cr*p, tar, bug guts, etc..) trapped on the clear coat. Regular washing doesn't remove these.

Over the years I have give away boxesful of waxes and stuff and kept only those that I know works for me (and remembered to store it indoors for the winter). You don't need to spend a lot after determining what actually works for you.

Figure out what's best for you, Carnauba based products or polymer seal. Never mix both as they have totally different chemical compositions.

I think another problem is we get obsessed with the "shine". We would think that the more sh*t we put on, the shinier it gets. Some waxes and polishes work better on darker colored cars than lighter ones. If you "discover" how to properly use an orbital polisher, the concept of frequent polishing and waxing disappears. If you want to be serious about your car care, I seriously suggest investing in one. My B&D random orbit is over 6 years old and the only thing I need to buy is a set of 7" pads once every year. The satisfaction of admiring your evenly polished car is something no wife could understand.

Vicman

03 TL Type-S SSM
K&N
Old 10-13-2003, 12:42 PM
Racer

You can mix both

First off, you can't wax off the paint..unless you got Lou Ferigno arms or you use something that is not clear coat safe.

You can layer some waxes and acrylics for spectacular shine and you can layer both for even better results -

I use Platinum Ultimate Paint Protector/ Klasse All in One combination. I put down three layers of UPP (24 hours between to cure) and them top that off with Trade Secret Wax (about three coats).

Trying multiple coats of a cleaner wax is pointless as the cleaner will just remove the previous layer (and never top off any multi step process with a cleaner wax - as it will just remove any polish you have applied).