Washington DC now using LASER!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2001, 10:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washington DC now using LASER!!

OMG!! first they bann use of radar detectors, then red light cameras, next speeding cameras, now they are going to use LASER!!

I just caught the news on nbc and they showed a DC cop catching people using Laser! they also explained how its more accurate and that its hard to detect. They also showed a bike doing 132/45 zone. I think he's going to jail. It looks like it was some tunnel so everyone stay the hell out of DC.
Old 09-08-2001, 11:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well, they should get caught if the idiot was doing 132 in a 45. I take the metro into dc whenever I need to go on site so no tickets for me.
Old 09-08-2001, 11:54 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank god I wasn't driving my TL when I was in DC a few weeks ago. I was with my family in my mom's Accord so I couldn't go fast. Damn this really sucks. I hope NJ doesn't do that or else I'm really screwed.
Old 09-09-2001, 04:15 AM
Racer

I'm just curious...

When they use laser, do they use a laser gun like a radar gun? or do they have sneakier ways to apply it on us?
Old 09-09-2001, 11:48 PM
Instructor

Laser sux

I got tagged a few time with laser. It is used by our Highway Patrol and inner city cops. Almost no body is using radar guns anymore since it may cause cancer. Photo radar though is still used in the city.

Laser is instant. Laser gun works almost like radar gun. But you'll see most of them mounted on a tri-pod instead of hand-held for more accurate reading (in case it becomes court matters.) There's no warning to it. You can get a top of the line radar detector and you still may get hit.

Well in our little city of Calgary, AB, Canada with population just under 1 mil. Our cops actually wrote out $30,000,000CDN of speed violation tickets/year. And the pigs just keep the money for themselves.
Old 09-10-2001, 02:05 AM
10th Gear

Re: Laser sux

Here's a sure way to beat laser. Drive the speed limit......DUH!
I got tagged a few time with laser. It is used by our Highway Patrol and inner city cops. Almost no body is using radar guns anymore since it may cause cancer. Photo radar though is still used in the city.

Laser is instant. Laser gun works almost like radar gun. But you'll see most of them mounted on a tri-pod instead of hand-held for more accurate reading (in case it becomes court matters.) There's no warning to it. You can get a top of the line radar detector and you still may get hit.

Well in our little city of Calgary, AB, Canada with population just under 1 mil. Our cops actually wrote out $30,000,000CDN of speed violation tickets/year. And the pigs just keep the money for themselves.
[/QUOTE]
Old 09-10-2001, 07:50 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the heads up..... I don't want to contribute any more money to Washington DC. Already had enough parking tickets to last a lifetime......
Old 09-10-2001, 08:28 AM
Instructor

Last time I've driven in fairfax area while I was going 35 mph and police laser gunned me and he told me I was going 50mph.. and I looked at his laser gun machine and shows that 50mph.. I don't think they are accurate. and got my speeding ticket.. I fought with the police man for 30 min.. gosh.. they are such a bad machine.
Old 09-10-2001, 01:35 PM
Bada Bing

NY has been using Laser for quite a while now. My town has totally done away with the Radar gun. The Laser is cool the way it works...I have friends that are cops...They don't need to be in the car nor do they need to be close by. All they need is aim...they can point it at you and fire a beam at either your front license plate or a headlight (basically they need a flat surface). There are radar jammers and dectectors out already...K40 has a few, I don't know how well they work though.
Old 09-10-2001, 03:11 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Thumbs down NJ uses Laser

BlackShadow - Sorry to break it to you, but NJ has started to use laser in the past couple of weeks ... It was highly publicized on the local news stations that they were beginning to use laser on the Garden State Parkway ...

A few weeks ago around August 22nd or so I was driving back to Virginia from my parent's house in NJ and there were tons of cops on the road on the NJ Turnpike, I'm assuming testing out their new toys ...

Be careful on major NJ highways, the state troopers have laser now!
Old 09-10-2001, 03:24 PM
Instructor

One good thing about DC's lasers is that you just get a fine... no points on your license or anything. The ranges and associated fines are published on DC police's website.

My question is, are they actually going to write a ticket, for say going 1 MPH over the speed limit? I always speed, but don't go over 10 on highway or 5 in residential, and have never got pulled.