Warming up your car

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001, 06:32 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Warming up your car

I heard it is bad to warm up a fuel injected car. I did a search on this, but I need a more technical answer. Can anyone answer?

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2001, 07:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Well older cars needed that guy in the car keeping his foot on the gas just to keep the engine running on a cold day and with modern fuel injection thats pretty much not needed any longer for that reason.

Also some people like to warm up the engine for extra protection to allow the oil to circulate properly. The truth of the matter is that if you drive away about a minute after you start the engine on a cold day and baby the engine until its all warmed up then you'll do a better job of that as the oil will heat up faster and circulate better faster.

Then there are the people who just like to get into a warm car on a cold day or a cool car on a hot day so that they are comfortable.

I am a combo of the last 2 groups. I have a remote start built into the alarm so that makes it a whole lot easier. Even on a warm day I'll give the car a chance to get the oil circulating by starting the car as I get into the lot; as I am walking towards it.

Its true that prolonged idling not only wastes gas, but it is also bad for the engine and catalytic converter as they get very hot, but arent getting any good air circulation around them as the car is just sitting still. I have heard of 1 car left running so long just parked that the cat was actually glowing, but thats something that occured over hours, and that car was fairly old.
Also contaminants build up faster on a hot engine that is just idling compared to an engine at speed on the highway.

But in the end I dont think that letting your car warm up, or cool down for a few minutes in the winter and summer will ever do any measureable amount of damage to the engine. Just keep up with the oil changes to get rid of the contaminants (Synthetics are better than regular Petro)and enjoy the car. It supposed to keep you comfortable, get you where you want to go, and hopefuly put a grin on your face in the process.
------------------
Just call me..................Mr Hyde

TL Type-S Forum Moderator

02 Aegean Blue TL Type-S with Navi
Accord Forum Moderator/Honda-Acura.net
Old 06-21-2001, 07:36 PM
Drifting

Thanks Mr. Hyde. I also heard something about letting the car idle too long while parked puts a lot of stress on the car because you are letting the car idle while not under load(no load on the transmission because the car is in park). Does anybody know anything about this?
Old 06-21-2001, 07:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally posted by SoundSpeed:
Thanks Mr. Hyde. I also heard something about letting the car idle too long while parked puts a lot of stress on the car because you are letting the car idle while not under load(no load on the transmission because the car is in park). Does anybody know anything about this?
Same thing, that tranny fluid can get really really hot. Thats why brake torquing is so bad, you can actually burn out the torque converter due to the heat.

------------------
Just call me..................Mr Hyde

TL Type-S Forum Moderator

02 Aegean Blue TL Type-S with Navi
Accord Forum Moderator/Honda-Acura.net
Old 06-21-2001, 08:30 PM
Instructor

Are you "Moderators" amusing yourselves? Looks like you're both impersonating newbies. Must be a slow night at the forum.

------------------
2002 TL-S Aegean blue
Old 06-21-2001, 08:38 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Acuraboy:
Are you "Moderators" amusing yourselves? Looks like you're both impersonating newbies. Must be a slow night at the forum.

This topic was covered a long time ago I just needed a review.
BTW, do you have anything of value to post on this subject?
Old 06-21-2001, 08:49 PM
Instructor

Sorry I don't. Don't get me wrong, I just thought you guys were trying to be funny going back and forth with eachother. Keep up the good work!!

------------------
2002 TL-S Aegean blue
Old 06-21-2001, 09:03 PM
Drifting

Sorry I don't. Don't get me wrong, I just thought you guys were trying to be funny going back and forth with eachother. Keep up the good work!!

Its all good.

Old 06-21-2001, 11:15 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
As an ex-automitive mechanic I can no longer offer a professional opinion. However, I will give you a personal opinion.

It depends on what you mean by "letting it warm up" and or how you will drive it immediately after your start it up.

While there are some differences debated in the way you needed to warm up an older car verses newer cars. There are some basic rules that I personally have tried to abide by. Whether or not they had any effect on the fact that my cars have gone the distance can never be validated.

That said, here are my personal proceedures.

In the morning I let the car idle, either in park or drive it doesn't matter, for 15-30 seconds. Just enough time to ensure the oil is circulating. Anything longer than that is unnecessary and too much long can cause acid and water condensation to build in various parts of the engine, exhaust and transmission. By driving off after 15-30 seconds all the parts are warmed up faster and more evenly. This theoretically reduces the formation of acids in the oils and condensation.

In the winter or very cold days for those of you where winter starts in the fall or is still hanging around in the spring, I usually let it idle for 30-45 seconds and then again wait till the engine reaches full operating temperature and has a chance to purge itself of the acid and condensation build up. That's about 5-10 miles or so, or 15-20 minutes of normal driving.

Here's a little item to help you relate to what I'm talking about.

If anyone has paid close attention to the white exhaust that is noticable on cool or cold days when you first start your car. You usually don't see yours beause it's behind you, but you can see everyone elses.

Well that's the indicator that the car is not fully warmed up and it's producing alot of condensation because the engine and exhaust haven't fully warmed up yet to burn it off.
Next time try and watch a car that's just starting up and see how long it takes for the exhaust to clear. Depending on the driving speed (engine speed too) it should take on average 10-15 minutes or 5-10 miles.

Again - the part on the warming proceedure is my personal choice and opinion. The other parts on acid and condensation are as I remember it. Keep in mind that it's been over 20 years since I was a mechanic, but I can still turn a wrench. But what good is that when just about everything is controlled by a computer.

------------------
2002 TLS WDP w/Ebony interior
Formula 1 35% Premier Tint
Old 06-21-2001, 11:19 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Mr Hyde:
Same thing, that tranny fluid can get really really hot. Thats why brake torquing is so bad, you can actually burn out the torque converter due to the heat.
Affirmative on that. More so because you wear out the fluid prematurely. That's why on another thread I suggested to the posted that if they were going to powerbrake the should change their fluid more often.

Also, if you're going to do it regularly, you should probably invest in a good transmission oil cooler.

IMO

------------------
2002 TLS WDP w/Ebony interior
Formula 1 35% Premier Tint
Old 06-22-2001, 02:55 AM
Racer

I usually let my car warm up for a minute or so until the temp gauge passes the "C" then i'll start driving it slowly... until it reaches the "normal" mark before driving it normally... is that a good practice?

------------------
2002 TL-S w/ Navi
White Diamond Pearl/Ebony

- Blackwood dash trim
- Mudflaps (soon to be painted), wheel lock
- PIAA superwhite all around
- Hyper Plasma H.I.D on foglights and high beam
- Disco neon light interior

Soon to come:
- 5% (limo) tint
- Body kit
- JL subs & amps
- Body colored grill (maybe)

(R.I.P) 1995 Honda Accord EX-V6
Cashmere Metallic/Ivory

- Focal G7 18x7
- Nitto NT-555 225/40ZR18
- Eibach Pro-Kit
- FET CATZ XSL Foglights
- PIAA Superwhite all around
- Clear lens all around
- Euro tail light kit
- 20% tinted windows
- No engine mod
Old 06-22-2001, 07:45 AM
Pro

Smile

I believe the owner's manual recommends a minute of warm-up and moderate speeds until the temperature gauge is in the normal range.
Old 06-22-2001, 12:33 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Ruf87 is absolutely right - I have seen SAE reports that support that. Let the car build oil pressure, then off you go - just remember it takes a while for oil temps and all the dissimilar metals in an engine to warm up and mesh as designed, and it is in this time period that most all wear occurs.

Go easy at first and you will get the most out of your car.

Also, driving off lights up the cats fgaster, so it is better for the air (for you greenies out there).
Old 06-22-2001, 01:05 PM
Pro

Talking

Wipe that brown stuff off your nose, AcuraBoy

Old 06-22-2001, 03:44 PM
Burning Brakes

The owner's manual says that a minute of warmup is sufficient time in just about any climate condition (meaning really really cold weather).

Because of that, I figure a good 10 or 15 seconds is good for me in SoCal where it really doesn't get cold.

------------------
'01 Naples Gold TL with Navi
Comptech springs
Tokico shocks
Interior wood trim kit
Custom aluminum mesh grill
Wings West 2-leg spoiler wing
Solar Gard Titanium Tint 43 all around.
Cuzo Hyperwhite hi beams.