WAL-MART Oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 05:52 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WAL-MART Oil change

Ok, Im too lazy to change it myself, and the dealer is about 25 miles away, but there is a Walmart oil-change/supercenter close. What does the dealer do that Wally cant. I mean how hard can it be, uncrew, drain, replace filter, pour. I think its $15, and I can buy the Mobil 1 trisynth right there. I believe we use 4 qts, so I would only spend about $30 right? How can they F up?

I obviously would prefer the Acura techs working on it, but, I cant see how anyone could mess up.
Old 05-02-2002, 07:32 AM
Racer

No new drain plug washer.
Crappy generic oil filter.
Over-tighten oil filter.
Over-tighten and/or strip drain plug.
Spill oil over engine compartment pouring your bottled oil.
etc, etc...

Bottom line, I would trust them.
Old 05-02-2002, 07:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by my99tl
I obviously would prefer the Acura techs working on it, but, I cant see how anyone could mess up.
Agreed. It doesn't take a rocket scientist, or a certified Acura tech for that matter, to change the oil in our cars, or for most cars for that matter.
Originally posted by 99LagunaTL
No new drain plug washer.
Crappy generic oil filter.
You can provide these items to them and they will put them on.
Originally posted by 99LagunaTL
Over-tighten oil filter.
Spill oil over engine compartment pouring your bottled oil.
etc, etc...
Seriously doubt that any of these will occur. Again, we're not dealing with rocket science here.
Old 05-02-2002, 08:04 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by johnnyb_s

You can provide these items to them and they will put them on.

Where should I get the good filter.... Do they sell them there? Which do you recommend? I could drop by Discount Auto Parts or Pep Boys and bring them in one...
Old 05-02-2002, 10:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Bottom line, I would trust them.
Was that a sarcastic comment, and if not, I assume you were referring to the dealer, no?

Agreed. It doesn't take a rocket scientist, or a certified Acura tech for that matter, to change the oil in our cars, or for most cars for that matter.
Seriously doubt that any of these will occur. Again, we're not dealing with rocket science here.
Ah, you've apparently never heard of all those Oil Changers or SpeeDee horror stories of oil filler caps or filters left off...
Old 05-02-2002, 10:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by tdoh
Ah, you've apparently never heard of all those Oil Changers or SpeeDee horror stories of oil filler caps or filters left off...
I've heard of quite a few stories like that, especially from places like JiffyLube, which specialize in oil changes! My point was that just because someone works at an Acura dealership doesn't necessarily make them a better oil changer. A competent oil changer is a competent oil changer, wherever they may work.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:25 AM
Intermediate

When I had my Integra in the early 90s. I took it to an Acura dealer for an oil change and only after I got home that I realized they didn't replace the oil filler cap! I found it sitting on top of the battery and oil was all over the engine compartment. They did clean up the mess after I took it back and they gave me the next 5 oil changes free. My point is, people make mistakes, regardless if they work at Wal-mart or at the dealership. I just made it a habit to check on people's work on my car after they perform it.
Old 05-02-2002, 12:07 PM
Racer

Originally posted by tdoh

Was that a sarcastic comment, and if not, I assume you were referring to the dealer, no?

Duh, typing too fast. I mean't "wouldn't".

Because I've heard those horror stories, I prefer to do it myself.
Old 05-02-2002, 12:11 PM
All Hail the Chief

My point was that just because someone works at an Acura dealership doesn't necessarily make them a better oil changer. A competent oil changer is a competent oil changer, wherever they may work.
That's true, however, I would HOPE that techs working at an Acura/Lexus/Mercedes...dealer would be a little more cautious working on the baby.

I will never go to another Quick Lube type place again...it's nothing but a bunch of scuzzy teenagers who are bound to f' something up. I've had greasy palm prints on my car, windows, and leather interior after an oil change at those places. This was before the Acura thank goodness. They've also changed radio stations and/or cd.

I'm 1500 miles from my first oil change on my '03 Acura, and it will be going to the Acura dealership when the times comes, where HOPEFULLY they will be more cautious working in and around my car!
Old 05-02-2002, 12:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by chuchu
My point is, people make mistakes, regardless if they work at Wal-mart or at the dealership. I just made it a habit to check on people's work on my car after they perform it.
Well said
Old 05-02-2002, 12:42 PM
Instructor

Re: WAL-MART Oil change

Originally posted by my99tl
Ok, Im too lazy to change it myself, and the dealer is about 25 miles away, but there is a Walmart oil-change/supercenter close. What does the dealer do that Wally cant. I mean how hard can it be, uncrew, drain, replace filter, pour. I think its $15, and I can buy the Mobil 1 trisynth right there. I believe we use 4 qts, so I would only spend about $30 right? How can they F up?

Ive been going to walmart for a while now and never had any issues with them...they do a mobil1 syn. oil change for 30 bucks...who can beat that...Acura charges i think around 60-70 bucks for the same thing....
Old 05-02-2002, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: WAL-MART Oil change

Originally posted by sqamar95

Ive been going to walmart for a while now and never had any issues with them...they do a mobil1 syn. oil change for 30 bucks...who can beat that...Acura charges i think around 60-70 bucks for the same thing....
Thats good to hear. The only issue I might have, is they use the FRAM oil filter. Maybe I'll go buy a mobil1 filter (M-104 for a 99TL???) and use it.

OK, Discount Auto Parts carries the PureOne PN# PL14459, I will get that one and off to Wally world I go for the $30 Mobil1 o.c.!!
Old 05-02-2002, 05:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by johnnyb_s

I've heard of quite a few stories like that, especially from places like JiffyLube, which specialize in oil changes! My point was that just because someone works at an Acura dealership doesn't necessarily make them a better oil changer. A competent oil changer is a competent oil changer, wherever they may work.
Agreed...keep in mind though, there are compentant oil changers...and then there are poorly-compensated ones...
Old 05-02-2002, 06:11 PM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
All this oil talk got me to thinking..

I went to my favorite parts store and picked up a blue- OEM filter for $7.

Hope those are ok.

With that said, “Don’t shoot the messenger”

Mike Smeezy

Anthracite 2003 TL
Rear Deck Spoiler
H&R Sport Springs
35% Full Tint
3” Exhaust Tips
Old 05-03-2002, 08:30 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Vffr1

It's a Honda filter?? I didnt know you could get them outside of the dealer. The Pure One filter runs about $6, I dont know how it compares to the OEM one you got, as far as synth's go.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Vffr1

Hope those are ok.
Dayum, $7??? Man, they sure rape you guys down there in the Bay Area; it only cost me roughly $5 up here in Sacramento...at the Acura dealer, I might add. And yes, it is the blue Honda OEM oil filter.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:18 AM
Burning Brakes

I don't have a Acura dealership where I go to school in Lubbock, TX and the Honda dealership charges me $10 freaking bucks. I got to get online and order a case or something. it's ridiculous.
Old 05-03-2002, 06:07 PM
On the way!

I just bought two more Mobil-1 filters for my baby. About $11/each at Autozone.
Old 05-03-2002, 06:23 PM
Instructor

well, all went good. Pure one filter for $6, then to wally world for a $26 Mobil-1 5W-30 4.5 qt change, and they gave me the remaining .5 qt.. I did a quick peak for spills, leaks, pureone filter installed haha, yep, all good.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:52 PM
Safety Car

DO NOT GO TO WAL MART -- they are RETARDS they hire the rejects of the automotive world!!!
Old 05-04-2002, 02:33 PM
Racer

oil filters

my99tl said:
Thats good to hear. The only issue I might have, is they use the FRAM oil filter. Maybe I'll go buy a mobil1 filter (M-104 for a 99TL???) and use it.
That's a smart man.
-------

I bought and disected many brand name oil filters, just like that oil filter study guy and the honda filters aren't that great.

They are leaps and bounds better than Fram, but they are still use paper as the filter media.

Mobil 1 is my regular filter choice (next to my Amsoil/Hastings Filter), Pure ONE in my opinion is too restrictive.

Has anyone tried a HAMP filter?

It's a Japanese Domestic Market filter that is better, but you cannot find it in the stores here.

I was going to purchase a couple larger ones (same fitment, but larger voulume and filter size)and try them out.

makes me sad
Old 05-04-2002, 03:50 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by JPritch

I will never go to another Quick Lube type place again...it's nothing but a bunch of scuzzy teenagers who are bound to f' something up. I've had greasy palm prints on my car, windows, and leather interior after an oil change at those places. This was before the Acura thank goodness. They've also changed radio stations and/or cd.

Yep -- had my oil changed in my TBird there before --- last time I had it done was when I came out and got in my car (which had just been washed and waxed...) and there was greasy hand prints all over the fender and hood, windows, and a BIG FÜCKIN grease stain on my driver seat