Very Important.......please Read!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 06:08 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Very Important.......please Read!!!!!

I got the following letter in the mail today and it says:

Warranty Extension: EGR System Clogging

Dear 3.2TL Owner:

Early last year, you should have been notified of a Product Update Campaign involving the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system and the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system on your vehicle's engine. The EGR system could become clogged, causing the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (Check Engine light) to come on.

Warranty Extension Details
After studying the causes and frequency of EGR system clogging, American Honda has decided to cancel the Product Update Campaign. To provide protection in the unlikely event your vehicle should experience this problem, the warranty coverage for EGR system clogging is being extended to 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever comes first. If the Check Engine light should come on, take your vehicle to any Acura dealer. If they determine that the cause is clogging of the EGR system, they will repair it at no charge for parts or labor.

What to do if you feel this notice is in error
Our records show that you are the current owner of a 1999 3.2TL. If this is not the case, or the name/address information is incorrect, please fill out and return the enclosed, postage-paid Information Change Card. We will then update our records.

If you have questions
If you have questions about this notice, please call Acura Client Services at (800) 382-2238.

Sincerely,
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Acura Automobile Division

Is this in any way related to all the dying trannies? I thought it happened to the 2002's only. I have a 99 TL with over 57,000 miles and my tranny is fine so far. My check engine light has never came on. I am going to give them a call to make sure.

So did anybody else receive this letter?
Old 11-15-2001, 08:31 PM
The "old" guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im quite sure that it has nothing to do with the tranny. An EGR valve (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) is part of the smog control devices. If it becomes plugged...the computer would determine there is an abnormal burn condition in the engine (rich or lean) and would turn on the light. Im quite sure it doesnt have any affect with the trannies.......
Old 11-16-2001, 07:03 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
..but it sure could explain some pinging. If the EGR sticks in an closed or semi-closed position, the combustion chamber temperatures will rise dramatically.

I wonder if the clogging would be detected by the ECM and set a Check Engine light? Anyone know if EGR function prior to failure is checked during the start-up sequence or when the engine goees closed-loop?