Verdict on Car Washes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 08:37 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Verdict on Car Washes?

I'm going to have to wash my car one of these days. The problem is, it's a real pain to wash it myself since I park in a parking lot and access to an open area with water isn't always available. There is plenty of room to polish, wax, etc..
So, should I go to a car wash?
Are "brush-less" car washes safe?
Any one in Queens, NY know of a good car wash, or a good hand-wash place?
thanks.

------------------
- Nick
2002 Type S (Satin Silver)
1990 Eagle Talon tsi awd (barely stock)
Old 06-19-2001, 08:55 AM
CBS
Banned

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Turboara:
I'm going to have to wash my car one of these days. The problem is, it's a real pain to wash it myself since I park in a parking lot and access to an open area with water isn't always available. There is plenty of room to polish, wax, etc..
So, should I go to a car wash?
Are "brush-less" car washes safe?
Any one in Queens, NY know of a good car wash, or a good hand-wash place?
thanks.

I don't live in NY, but I advise that you do not go to a car wash but go to a touch-less one. The other car wash places will have your car swirly and scratched up.

------------------
01' Acura Nighthawk Black Pearl Non-nav.

Mods on:
-Comptech springs
-WW flush mount spoiler
-35% Black tint by Modico!
-More to come....
Old 06-19-2001, 09:14 AM
Racer

Brushless or touchless car washes are deceiving; anytime you have to run your car through a machine that has brushes or drying mechanisms then your car will be scratched up. The best washes are only done by hand; washing and drying.
I found a place in CA where they power wash my car, wash, power wash rinse, then I go through a space where it is a spray wash and dry (nothing touches the car but air and water), then they hand dry it. I then go home and use Eagle one brand WET wipe & shine spray, touch up the interior and tires to finish it off.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by BlackTL2K on June 19, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-19-2001, 10:24 AM
Racer

Here's a suggestion. Go to someone's house you know where you can wash the car safely I told my friend that I can't wash my car at the carwash and he said I can come to his house to wash anytime
Old 06-19-2001, 10:28 AM
Instructor

Exclamation

I like manual carwashes with the power spray nozzles. It has everything: pre-soak, power wash, rinse, wax, tire cleaner, and spot-free rinse. I can usually do my whole car for about $3.
Old 06-19-2001, 01:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by UTChE96:
I like manual carwashes with the power spray nozzles. It has everything: pre-soak, power wash, rinse, wax, tire cleaner, and spot-free rinse. I can usually do my whole car for about $3.
If anyone in the Queens area knows of a manual carwash place I would love to know about it.

Turboara, I go to the handwash joint on the eastbound Harace Harding right before Utopia Pkwy. They only use sheepskin mitts, but it'll run you about $10 per wash. . . Don't bother with the touchless/brushless places unless you're desperate. They're full of shit.

Old 06-19-2001, 01:23 PM
Racer

Wink

there's a handwash place in brooklyn that you can go to. it's on Ave Y and E17 street. it's about 10-12 dollars and they have 4 guys using the sheepskin gloves washing your car. hope that's not too far

------------------
96 Lexus LS400
2002 Satin Silver TL-S W/Nav
  • Ebony interior wood kit
  • Ebony wood/leather steering wheel
  • 20% tint
  • Boston Acoustic speakers+tweeters
  • Kenwood 12" tube
  • OEM Body Kit
.......more to come
Old 06-19-2001, 01:31 PM
Banned

I work at four "Do it yourself" carwashes. The owner/my boss also owns an AVIS-RENT-A-CAR business where I formerly worked cleaning up rental cars for him. He still lets me clean my car there, I have the hook up(soap, leather cleaner, carpet cleaner, bug cleaner, wax, vacuum, air freshener, all free for me, HAHA). Anyways, I advise you not to clean your cars at "DIY" carwashes. The rental car place is a bit out of my way and one day I decided to wash my car at the "DIY" carwashes and now I have a huge scratch/weathering mark on my hood that comes off with wax but once it rains it appears again. If you have to use "DIY" carwashes spray the foaming brush with the high pressure sprayer to get any sand or dirt that may be in the brush before you start using it.
Old 06-19-2001, 05:42 PM
Instructor

Anyone who lives in the peninsula, near the Mike Harvey Acura, should go to the Chevron one right across the street from there, like Auto Pride or something. It's touchless and hand washed - the best in the bay area for only like 10 bucks. None of the machines touch the car, and then after that, like 4 dudes get in your car and wash it more.

------------------
Silver 2000 TL w/
Factory Spoiler
Factory Body Kit
2 10" JL W3's in a HO Box
500.2 Rockford Fosgate Amp
Old 06-19-2001, 05:59 PM
Burning Brakes

92Legend-that is what I do when I go to DIY car washes. I spray the foam brush with the high pressure wand before I use it. I hate using it because I always think that I might scratch my car. Sucks living in an apartment.
Old 06-19-2001, 07:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm on the same boat here, can't wash my car at my apartment parking lot. When my TL-S comes in, there is no way I'm going to take it to any of the car washes. The 300ZX I had never went through one and looked better 6 years old then new (took alot of time to wash & wax though!). To me car washes are only good for the yellow cabs and those Town cars we always see. Ask your friends if you can use their place, offer a little money for the trouble (water use?). If quality and care is what you want, for me there is no substitute for doing it yourself (there is a right way & wrong way in washing cars to though). Oh, and if someone knows of a manual car wash with the coin operated nozzle in Queens or Nassau, please let us know.
Old 06-19-2001, 11:29 PM
Banned

This is what I suggest doing. Go to a parts store and buy a sponge, carwash soap, a towel and a bucket. Then go to the DIY carwashes and rinse your car down with the pressure sprayer, fill up the bucket with water and soap, then with the extra time spray your rims tires off. If you still have some extra time, rinse the under-carriage of the car and the fender wells. When or before time runs out start hand washing your car with the sponge, once you get done, put in another 4-minutes worth of money and rinse it down. Lastly, dry it and wax, etc. if you want to. This is a safe and effective way to wash your car at a DIY if you live in an apartment.
Old 06-20-2001, 02:04 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SilverStreak2kTL, where exactly is Mike Harvey Acura? Is it off El Camino?

BlackTL2k, where is the car wash you are refering to located, Peninsula, South Bay, or East Bay?

Thanks.